Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 12:33pm

Poulton residents kick up a stink over 'Seacombe smell'

POULTON residents are kicking up a stink about a foul smell that has repeatedly plagued the area over the last year, lasting up to several days.

The issue was raised last week at a residents meeting attended by Seacombe Councillor Adrian Jones.

Accusations have been made towards the Tate and Lyle storage facility on Poulton Bridge Road, which has seen increased activity over the last 12 months.

Though close to the dry docks, Bidston landfill and abandoned Mobil Oil facility, the smell is reportedly strongest around the ‘Tate Triangle’, the area containing a facility used to store vegetable and lubricating oil.

Locals liken the stench to rotting fish and soured milk. “It’s like being ambushed,” said one. “If we have washing on the line the smell gets into it before we can bring it inside.”

Cllr Jones says the area records above average rates of asthma and chest conditions.

“Residents have commented on chesty coughs, retching and constant sore throats. Mothers close doors and windows to protect their children,” he said Householder Pauline Platt, of Balfour Road, has lived in the area her entire life. “I’m used to industrial smells from the port and industrial area - there used to be a piggery on Clayton Lane - but those smells were bearable. This is not and people have had enough.”

Another resident in nearby Chamberlain Street told the Globe: “My lads won’t play out because of the smell. Normally there are hundreds of kids running around in summer but now the streets are empty.”

ate and Lyle said that the miasma was not poisonous and council officers have not acted as the stink is not yet illegal.

An environmental health spokesman said: “The council have been made aware of the smell around the Poulton/ Seacombe area of Wallasey and are doing all we can to locate its source.”

But Cllr Jones said: “As recently as last February, when I raised it with our professional officers, they were given assurances by Tate & Lyle that the company would be in touch with us to discuss it.

“But they haven’t and now there’s been another episode of the revolting stench.

“I am extremely upset that Tate & Lyle have made no attempt to contact local residents or councillors and am insisting that they speak to residents in person.”

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 12:40pm
Originally Posted by _jase_

Poulton residents kick up a stink over 'Seacombe smell'

Another resident in nearby Chamberlain Street told the Globe: “My lads won’t play out because of the smell. Normally there are hundreds of kids running around in summer but now the streets are empty.”

There's the answer to street crime involving the young scrotes... simply have a foul smell and they all stay in!

I am off to fart in a bottle and store it ready...
Posted By: Peachy Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 12:46pm
I know that smell, it was a bad smell. But it never really reached to the house i was living at. But every morning when i drove to feed my horse, it was a really strong sickly smell, it would come into the car but i never wanted to open the windows as it would just smell more!

I would complain too!!! smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 4:45pm
The smell is from the old oil storage tanks that have/are being cut up. Stored in there as crude, smell onsite is bad! Been doing breakdowms on there, the oil contamination is unbeleivable!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 6:25pm
It stinks down here as well-by the ferry-i thought it was the drains. Always stinks about 6pm
Yeh I smell it now n again when I get home from work frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 6:34pm
Smells like the dog has farted after eating eggs
luckily not something I actually experience anymore smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 6:35pm
Anyone remember when us seacombe rezzies sued that factory on birkenhead rd-bad smells+ black dust?
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Anyone remember when us seacombe rezzies sued that factory on birkenhead rd-bad smells+ black dust?

Volclay?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:25pm
Originally Posted by topofthepops

Volclay?
thats them! Yeah! Well, whats the differance between them nasty niffs and the new niffs?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:30pm
MODERATOR NOTICE : Keep on Topic please.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:42pm
I used to have Cereal Partners, the Doughnut factory and Lever Brother's soapy smell wafting over my house, it was really nice on a still night.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:48pm
We get a nice strong smell of Cadbury here in Moreton, though its not often nowadays. Used to love going to school when I was in primary school, each morning you could smell the chocolate dead strong mmmmmmmm.

Even better because my mum worked at Cadbury for a long time and used to bring home massive boxes of choccy biscuits from the Cadbury shop! This was in the innocent days before the government started telling everyone to avoid chocolate and fatty foods and become rabbits of course, a time when we were allowed to eat what we wanted haha!

Also a time when Cadbury in Moreton was actually still Cadbury and not split into Premier Foods, Manor Bakeries or Rank Hovis. They don't make much chocolate there nowadays!

I miss them times!

frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:52pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
We get a nice strong smell of Cadbury here in Moreton, though its not often nowadays. Used to love going to school when I was in primary school, each morning you could smell the chocolate dead strong mmmmmmmm.

Even better because my mum worked at Cadbury for a long time and used to bring home massive boxes of choccy biscuits from the Cadbury shop! This was in the innocent days before the government started telling everyone to avoid chocolate and fatty foods and become rabbits of course, a time when we were allowed to eat what we wanted haha!

Also a time when Cadbury in Moreton was actually still Cadbury and not split into Premier Foods, Manor Bakeries or Rank Hovis. They don't make much chocolate there nowadays!

I miss them times!

frown
im originally from moreton-left when i was 17-and echo ECHO everything you say!!
Posted By: Peachy Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:52pm
MMmmmmmmmmm. i too miss that smell!

when going to feed the horse i could smell that smell on the farm! smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:55pm
Originally Posted by Peachy_Pud
MMmmmmmmmmm. i too miss that smell!

when going to feed the horse i could smell that smell on the farm! smile

Even past the £300 bags of manure oops make the dot bigger next time!!

laugh
Posted By: Peachy Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 18th May 2009 7:57pm
Lmao!!
I didnt write it! I shall tell them tho hahaha

we need to stay on topic Moomin Face, Jase will shout! tease
Amazing. I remember when the docks were FULL. Some of the "stinks" were better than C.S gas. But the best were when Spillers was loading wheat. GREAT smell. Like a bowl full of hot porridge on a cold winter morning.

Then, there was the ...Bibbys" If I remember, fish oil and animal food plant. But HAY we got used to it.

Nowdays they all appear to be s shower of complaining weaklings.

(And I lived for five years in Gorsedale Road, about 300 meters from the old chemical dump. WHEN it was still active! AND does any one remember the stink from the Ghandi?)
so thats the horrible stench i can smell from north station. wondering what that was.

I miss them times!

frown

Weelll. It was great unless your job was to wander around Leasowe all night keeping SOME semblence of what passes for "law and order" there.

After four hours of cadburys smell you were READY for that lunch break.

Yea I remember when we were living there...i was one of the ppl who sued them too.

I miss them times!

frown

I love that smell....been in Moreton 10 years now but as someone said you dont smell it as often now sadly.
Posted By: Wench Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 20th May 2009 11:04am
The smell from Spillers always reminded me of bacon butties. The one smell I really miss is from Cereal Partners - fond memories of working there laugh Even now, if I go to Bromborough and can smell it, it makes me smile.

The worst place I've lived had to be Burton-on-Trent. The smell walking to work if you'd been out the night before, or even not if I'm honest, made a lot of us "out of towners" sick at least twice on the way in. Between the breweries and the marmite factory sick I feel sick just thinking about it!!!

Does anyone remember the smell from Sun Valley Peanuts or whatever it was down town? Used to make me want to throw up.

Also, while staying in York once I could smell something really rank. I was told by a local that it was the sugar beet being processed at a sugar factory.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 20th May 2009 11:17am
Well I feel sorry for the people of Helsby / Frodsham.

I up the M56 to Manchester every day - and the stink there is awful - and thats in the car driving past. Its not just some sugar or oil smell, these are nasty chemicals - somedays you can see the purple smog floating over the motorway towards the houses....
Are you sure it doesn't originate from your car?
Does it appear on the day after you've had a mean curry?
Posted By: Wench Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 20th May 2009 11:31am
The A14 in Cambs between Histon and Milton is like that sick No idea where it comes from though. Used to hate going along that stretch on the motorbike as it would make you nearly vomit in your helmet no
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Well I feel sorry for the people of Helsby / Frodsham.

I up the M56 to Manchester every day - and the stink there is awful - and thats in the car driving past. Its not just some sugar or oil smell, these are nasty chemicals - somedays you can see the purple smog floating over the motorway towards the houses....

Yep - I was going to mention this one myself. It is so GROSS. I'd hate to live near there
Posted By: Token Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 20th May 2009 2:42pm
I've got a couple mates who live right opposite the Tate & Lyle plant and I just dont visit them anymore cause I can't stand the smell... its wrong on so many levels.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poulton residents kick up a stink over smell - 20th May 2009 2:55pm
Guesthouse paradiso, springs to mind
© Wirral-Wikiwirral