Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Artist called in for Wirral Superlambanana repairs - 24th Apr 2009 12:06pm

Artist called in for Wirral Superlambanana repairs

A SUPERLAMBANANA on display at Birkenhead Market has been repaired after it was scratched by vandals.

Cloudarama was brought for £10,000 at an auction in St George’s Hall in Liverpool in September.

The two-foot long scratch, thought to have been caused by vandals using a key, was retouched on Thursday by St Helens-based artist Paul Cousins.

He said: “Its creation has been a labour of love for me and I really feel attached to it. To me, it’s a painting and a very personal piece.

“Other Lambananas were community projects with lots of people involved. But this is very much an extension of my work as an artist and a piece of public art.”

Clouderama was one of 125 similar statues that went under the auctioneer’s hammer.

The market was in a telephone bidding war with Liverpool John Lennon Airport, which was also keen to own the treasured piece of Capital of Culture memorabilia.

Danny Doyle, marketing manager for Birkenhead Market, said: “It’s here to be enjoyed and is proving to be very popular with the public.

“Paul was pleased when he saw that it is being exhibited in a public place. We could have easily put it behind perspex or ten foot in the air, but what’s the point of that?"

THE GLOBE
What exactly do you expect, putting it on display in Birkenhead ?
withthat

They should know better, maybe they should put a plastic see through box over it.. hmm
Waste of time effort space and money. Why some people agree to these 'iconic' things being placed around - at a whopping 10k I really have no ide, Im tempted to vandalise on too.
You wanted to ride one in chester, the horse one...

I think they were well cool.
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Waste of time effort space and money. Why some people agree to these 'iconic' things being placed around - at a whopping 10k I really have no ide, Im tempted to vandalise on too.

Yeah, how can a pointless,useless piece of crap be worth so much?

What a waste of money! no
© Wirral-Wikiwirral