Forums
Posted By: Angel_x Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:08pm
Dead baby dolphin opposite the egremont ferry today at 18:00.
"There were 3 emergency vehicles there as we arrived to take pictures the police emergency vehicles left and the vet emergency vehicle was still there with the vet undressing out of his wet suit".
[Linked Image]
Posted By: marilyn Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:27pm
great pic angel has anyone seen any live ones in mersey
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:30pm
Poor little blighter. frown
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:31pm
I wish it was a live! frown I've heard they do visit the mersey but I've yet to see for myself smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:32pm
Looks more like a Harbour Porpoise than an infant dolphin. Still sad either way frown
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 9:33pm
Shame
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 11th Apr 2009 10:24pm
aww lovely them shame..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 10:32am
Poor little thing.

I'll put the chips on.

...What??
Posted By: Peachy Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 10:45am
Aww.. frown

Poor Little Dolphin, i never thought they'd travel to round here.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 11:19am
Originally Posted by Peachy_Pud
Aww.. frown

Poor Little Dolphin, i never thought they'd travel to round here.

They come up on the Gulf Stream. Wee thing probably got stranded when the tide went out or found the waters round the Wirral a little too cold.
Posted By: Peachy Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 11:27am
Or just couldnt see with the dirty water round there lol
Posted By: Riki_Wirral Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 11:40am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Poor little thing.

I'll put the chips on.

...What??
What??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 1:29pm
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Poor thing.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 2:17pm
My thoughts are with the family of the little dolphin.

May god have mercy on your soul little crettin.

Very sad indeed.

frown
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 3:44pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
My thoughts are with the family of the little dolphin.

May god have mercy on your soul little crettin.

Very sad indeed.

frown
Definitely not right in the head...what have you done with the real Ste? raftl
Posted By: kimpri Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 5:09pm
Over the last 20 years, we at the Mersey Inshore Rescue Service have seen much change in the Mersey, from a so called "dirty polluted environment" to a cleaner river..and the welcome return of sea life - from dolphins, seals, more fish stocks and even a killer whale!

This was unheard of back in 1985 when the service started. Now, the river has become a user-friendly place. More and more water sports are taking place; people are even swimming in the river, especially off Crosby and New Brighton. People still think by looking at the river that it’s a dirty stretch of water, but the brown colour is the silt on the seabed being stirred up by the fast flowing tide, causing the so-called "muddy appearance".

In the Queens Channel, which is located just off Seaforth, the water is actually blue. When the tide ebbs out of the river, sand banks start to appear especially in the vicinity of Garston and Eastham, and also towards the Runcorn areas. These areas all dry out with very little or no navigable water whatsoever, and they become a haven for bird life and in sometimes, rare species can be spotted.

Because the tide moves so quickly, it tends to be in these areas where dolphins or whales swim following fish stocks, but as the tide ebbs away they become stranded. It’s then that the Mersey Inshore Rescue Service are asked to assist and with the help of the RSPCA we try to help the whales or dolphins back out to sea. All part of the service!

The return of seals and dolphins over the past few years is quite a regular sight on the Mersey and in particular just off the Liverpool Landing Stage. This would appear to confirm that fish are here and in plentiful supply. A minke whale,found its way into the river in August 1998 and became stranded by the tide at Widnes. The whale had to be assisted with a large support sling and be kept wet. Then in conjunction with the RSPCA she was refloated with the support sling and assisted back out to the open sea. At one stage she looked back as though to say "thanks" as she proceeded out freedom!

This year a killer whale was spotted by people on board the Mersey Ferry whilst making the way from Liverpool to Birkenhead. We were alerted and asked to attend as it was reported as a large shark! All of a sudden we could almost hear the "Jaws" theme! We searched the area but could not find it. Later in the day it made its way to the Widnes area, became stranded by the tide and unfortunately died.

Since seeing the killer whale all the staff have been reluctant to enter the water for training purposes, suprisingly enough! The motto is "always lead by example" but since then, the crew goes in first!

Posted By: DavidB Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 5:25pm
It probably took a gulp of ICI/United Utilities/Shell raw sewage.

Actually, I saw a huge (dead) Sting Ray in Egremont when I was younger, about 1985!!!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 5:31pm
Can't be that bad i f sea mammals are swimming in it as quoted above by kimpri
Posted By: marilyn Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 5:32pm
thanks kimpr1 very interesting
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 6:10pm
i saw a harbour porpoise in the channel at otterspool. low tide and in the deep channel as described.
That youngun looks like its been hit by a propeller and i would not be surprised if its from some jet ski nob. at new brighton
Posted By: J800NN0 Re: Dead Baby Dolphin - 12th Apr 2009 7:19pm
Me and my family saw a shark at Seacombe Ferry terminal about 15 years ago, it was about 8ft long, quite slim and just by the wall chillin, so i ran to the aquarium an told them that one their sharks had escaped! (I was only young, lol) they told me it was probably a Basking shark, Iv been dying to get a photo ever since as no-one believes me!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral