Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 11:05am

Blaze in derelict school building

ARSONISTS are believed to have started a fire in a derelict Wirral school building last night.

Three crews took more than two and a half hours to tackle the blaze at Park Primary School in Woodstock Road, Wallasey.

Crews from Birkenhead and Upton fire station were called to the scene just after 8pm, following reports that smoke and flames were coming from the single-storey building, which is due to be demolished in two weeks time.

A fire service spokesman told the Globe: "We suspect that this was a deliberate act, due to the fact that there was no power on in the building. The police have been informed.

"With the Easter Holidays approaching we want to warn children that the site could be a danger zone. Buildings under demolition are not play areas."

A police spokesman said: "The building's owner does not want to make a complaint, so we won't be investigating."

THE GLOBE
Posted By: AR_One Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 11:45am
"A police spokesman said: "The building's owner does not want to make a complaint, so we won't be investigating."

Hmmm, I wonder if that's because it saves them the cost of demolition......
Posted By: DavidB Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 11:57am
Probably because the -derelict- building was insured and he'll get a pay out. There's allegedly loads of developers who use arson to claim money back on really cheap investments.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 4:35pm
Does a burnt out building cost less to demolish?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 4:37pm
Originally Posted by Station
Probably because the -derelict- building was insured and he'll get a pay out. There's allegedly loads of developers who use arson to claim money back on really cheap investments.
If he claims on insurance, the insurance company would have the right to persue for damages against the purpetrators (especially if I could spell it!).
Posted By: peodude Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 9:17pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Does a burnt out building cost less to demolish?

I don't know the school, but a lot of old buildings contain asbestos, which is very expensive and time consuming to remove. Could be an easy way to solve the problem.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 10:31pm
Not saying that this is the case here but it's remarkable the number of listed buildings that are left to go derelict and then have a mysterious fire when planing is refused for demolition.......
Posted By: Riki_Wirral Re: Blaze in derelict school building - 2nd Apr 2009 10:47pm
Originally Posted by AR_One
Not saying that this is the case here but it's remarkable the number of listed buildings that are left to go derelict and then have a mysterious fire when planing is refused for demolition.......
Yeah it's a sad state of affairs, but i suppose as far as the owners are concerned money is more important to them than history.... thumbsdown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral