Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 1:52pm
[Linked Image]

Three rescued after 4x4 stranded off Wirral's Hilbre Island

[Linked Image]

THREE people had a lucky escape after their 4X4 got stuck in sand and mud off Wirral.

The driver and his two passengers were heading for Hilbre Island, off West Kirby, on Friday night.

But a rapidly-rising tide forced them to abandon their car half a mile from Middle Eye, a small island near Hilbre.

Hoylake Lifeboat was called out by Liverpool Coastguard shortly after 8.15pm. But the occupants had already left the Nissan Navara 4x4 and were wading towards the shore.

Said to be “wet and distressed” they were taken back by West Kirby Lifeboat.

Hoylake’s Tractor bravo was already out responding to a call about a group of suspected illegal cockle pickers using quad bikes on sand banks near Red Rocks.

Steve Armitage, of Hoylake Lifeboat, said: “They were lucky because the tide came in and surrounded them very quickly. The car is still there stuck in the sand.”

A Liverpool Coastguard spokesman said: “It appears they weren’t familiar with the area and were heading out to Hilbre to meet somebody but managed to get stuck.”

THE ECHO
Posted By: bert1 Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 2:10pm
Time and tide wait for no man. think
Posted By: Mark Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 2:12pm
Scott ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 2:16pm
St Marher 1225
I thought it was only 'official' island vehicle which were allowed to drive over.
Posted By: Wench Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 3:07pm
I'm sorry, but local or not, it's not rocket science to know to check the tides etc. It's not like it is difficult to do either.

When things like this happen, they should be charged a fee - a sort of "idiot tax" raftl

JMPO
Posted By: bert1 Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 3:08pm
stuck 4x4

Attached picture stuck.jpg
Posted By: Wench Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 3:13pm
Explain THAT to the insurance company raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 3:14pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
Explain THAT to the insurance company raftl

I'm a dipstick, maybe
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 3:38pm
Ho bloody ho ! Serves him right. He shouldn't have been out there in the first place. Anyone want to buy some rusting scrap ??

"...illegal cockle pickers on quad bikes........." Doesn't anyone have a high-powered rifle in the Red Rocks area ??? It would save the Hoylake Tractor unit wasting time/fuel on these (---------). Insert expletive of your choice.

Grrrrrrrrrr !
raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 6:08pm
Idiots! Haha
Posted By: jimbob Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 9:11pm
4x4 drivers, they musy have the brains of a rubber duck, or perhaps they where on the school run like the rest of 4x4 drivers and took the wrong turning.
raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl raftl

i read this in work today in the daily post and i still find it halerious
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Three rescued from Wirral's Hilbre Island - 16th Mar 2009 11:07pm
My god your telling me they just drove out to the island and not going the proper route so you dont get stuck in the mud.. The proper route is from the Kiosk in west kirby walk towards little eye then around middle eye then on to hilsbre you just dont walk out to the island the sinking sand is terrible what idiots...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral