Forums
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 9:57am
Four Wirral train stations benefit from government funding

News Link
Posted By: AR_One Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:25am
You couldn't post a summary of the article could you - the linked paged is subscribers only so I can't see which stations are to benefit.

Ta
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:31am
Here is a screen shot of the page
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 2:38pm

£6.5m to get Merseyside transport system on the move

MORE than £6.5m of European funding will be spent improving Merseyside’s transport network.

Regeneration body the Northwest Development Agency (NWDA) will administer the NorthWest European Regional Development Fund earmarked for six projects being run by transport authority Merseytravel.

Just over £1m will be spent improving access to the city’s underground stations including the revamp of the James Street entrance.

The balance of the funding will be invested in improvements to four key bus routes connecting the suburbs to the city centre including the provision of bus lanes and new bus stops.

Technology installed on buses enabling them to change traffic lights to improve their journey times is also being considered

Chairman of transport authority Merseytravel Cllr Mark Dowd said: “There are 200 million bus journeys each year, and it’s time we focused on improving the bus service to encourage more people onto public transport.

“Our greatest complaint is bus drivers saying they can’t get round the city.”
He added: “We want to try and look at buses being able to change traffic lights as well as make bus stops more pleasant with up-to-date information and dropped kerbs.”

NWDA chief executive Steven Broomhead said: “These investments will significantly improve access into Liverpool city centre and encourage greater use of public transport which will both help to ease congestion in the city centre and support the agency’s commitment to tackling the climate change agenda.”

Cllr Dowd added: “Public transport is a vital part of people’s day-to-day lives and we are constantly looking at ways to deliver better, more reliable, more accessible facilities for them.”

A separate £250,000 investment from the NWDA will fund the Liverpool Transport Model project to create a computer-based modelling service that will help simulate the potential impact of planned new developments on the city’s roads.

THE ECHO
Well at least Liverpool has a bus service to improve, Wirral has the remaining dregs of greed and little else.

Does James Street entrance need a revamp?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 3:49pm
Excuse my ignorance but.... what is a "rise and fall ticket counter" ??

Maybe sensors detect approaching "customers", automatically measure their height, thus allowing the ticket office to rise up. This ensures that the miserable, unsmiling ticket seller is always at least 12" higher than you are. He can then look down in utter contempt at the hapless "customer" without having to smile or say "please" or "thankyou".

Maybe I'm wrong ??

On my visits "back home", when using Mersey Rail/Travel/whatever, more and more employees of our otherwise excellent rail system seem to have the "I can't be arsed" mentality when dealing with the public. Sad.
Good spot Pinz, there is only one hit from google on "rise and fall ticket counter" and that is the Wirral Globe.

I assume it means RISE in cost, FALL in passengers, but this must be red taped and hence counted.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 9:58pm
i read that bidston station was to be mothballed and services routed onto the extra spare platform for the wrexham service. Thus avoiding holding up the west kirby line.
A large park and ride service is planned outside birkenhead north.

I presume a taxi service for when you return from work to find an empty plot !!
Posted By: AR_One Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:24pm
What a load of cr@p Bidston station is - they've got disabled parking places but no access to the platform for wheelchairs....... and don't get me started on the walk into Tesco via the dingy "bum-rape" alley that is the underpass.

Clue to Merseytravel - move the station about 100 yards closer to Birkenhead North and rebrand it Tesco Bidston (Tesco may even pay for this!) is not just clear up the underpass, put some proper lights and access for diabled people and make it feel a little less like Beiruit! (a bit like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Park_Metro_station )

As for closing it, that would properly piss me off as I'd have to walk further to the station and why do that if you;ve just spent money on signs at Bidston?
Posted By: chrissie77 Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:27pm
yer i do agree with you.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:28pm
Pacef8 - which extra platform?

There was a plan that got approved several years ago for a park and ride at Bidston using the big grass area by the roundabout as a car park but nothing happenned.

If they did have a park and ride at North there'd have to be armed guards to make sure that at least some of the cars were still there at the end of the day....
Posted By: scoops Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:33pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Excuse my ignorance but.... what is a "rise and fall ticket counter" ??

It's a counter that lowers to enable wheelchair users to pick up their ticket/ sign cheques.
They've got one at Bebington and I've never seen it being used think
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 17th Feb 2009 11:38pm
hahaha there having a laugh arnt they why dont they use the funding to electrify the flipping wrexham line and then that will solve all problems trying to get to deeside if yer work there or get to wales without the flipping train change over at hamilton square and chester GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! "you all know what i mean" its been diesel for how long so why not smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 18th Feb 2009 3:29am
Thanks scoops. We live and learn!

SoundLad: They've been talking about extending the third rail down the Wrexham line for years and putting a new station in at Woodchurch Road. Trouble is that it's all talk and no action !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Merseyside transport system on the move - 18th Feb 2009 11:56am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

SoundLad: They've been talking about extending the third rail down the Wrexham line for years and putting a new station in at Woodchurch Road. Trouble is that it's all talk and no action !

withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral