Forums
SAND from Wirral’s coastline is being used to shore up gritting supplies.

As temperatures plummeted across the borough last week, contractors removed build-ups of sand from the beach and foreshore at Leasowe and Wallasey.

The sand will be mixed in with salt for road gritting.

Wirral Council said the removal of sand from areas within the North Wirral Foreshore Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) – “to enable access” – had been agreed with Natural England – but Leasowe Councillor Ian Lewis said this contradicted earlier assurances that no sand would be taken from the protected part of the site.

Cllr Lewis told the News: “I am disappointed that the council needs to use sand from a designated, protected part of our local environment.

“Is there really no sand available from anywhere else in the borough?

“I hope Natural England and, locally, the Friends of North Wirral Coastal Park, will be fully consulted by the council on how the area will be reinstated.”

Councils across the UK have been forced to look at alternatives to grit as supplies dwindled after last week’s heavy snowfall with one, Gloucestershire County Council, buying in 500 tonnes of tablet salt.

A spokesman for Wirral Council said: “Contractors have been removing windblown sand that has accumulated at Leasowe Bay and Wallasey Beach in areas outside the designated North Wirral Foreshore Site of Special Scientific Interest to mix with salt for road gritting.

“In addition to this, a small amount of sand will need to be removed from the SSSI to enable access.

“The council has discussed this with Natural England, who have agreed this course of action.”
Protected?
Lol, when we last had piranahs we used sand from leasowe sandhills in our tank grin
Looked nice too smile
Is anything safe from Wirral Tyranny (oops I mean Council)?
Nope all they see is ££££ signs and thats it.. Im sure faulkes has had his fun with OUR!!!! (i use that cause it is) money to fund stupid projects and waste it on crap that is today!!! come on WAKE UP..
Your missing something people, we have ran out of grit! (whole country) thats why they are doing this smile
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Your missing something people, we have ran out of grit! (whole country) thats why they are doing this smile

What happened to importing more??? We import just about everything else we need in this country - food, fuel, clothing, electrical goods, cars, furniture, labour...
it may proove more costly?
money to fund stupid projects and waste it on crap that is today!!!

Such a paying 2 mill for a GERMAN sub that does`nt belong to England and has no heritage history to it, to be cut into four pieces and convert woodside ferry for it to fit it into,when they could of done away with that shitty wooden replica of a sub which has it`s own space on the,once was the transport ramp.Resignations should be called for and elect a new council as these idiots have not got the towns best interests in mind.
Not like England to be horrifically unprepared for winter (again) is it?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral