Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Juror fined for failing to attend court - 2nd Feb 2009 3:30pm
A YOUNG Wirral mum who failed to attend court while on jury service has been fined and warned she faces jail if she does not pay.

"There is a very real obligation of any citizen to receives a summons for jury service to attend," said Judge David Harris, QC.

"It is becoming increasingly common for people to play fast and loose with that obligation and there is a need for the importance to be re-inforced and for fines to be imposed when no good reason is shown," he said.

Chelsea Halford, the mother of a two-year-old child, was due to attend Liverpool Crown Court for the second week of a rape trial but on the Monday when speeches and summing up took place she did not attend.

She claimed that she had been suffering from a tummy bug and produced a self-certification certificate but admitted that on that Monday she had gone to the housing department in Birkenhead as she was about to be evicted from her flat.

She also claimed she did not have her mobile phone with her and when told by her mother that the court had rung she rang them back and left a message.

Further questioned by Judge Harris she denied that she had told other jurors the previous Friday that she would not be there on the Monday because she was going "on a bender" on the Sunday.

The judge said that he did not accept her explanation.

He told her the maximum fine was £1,000 and he would have imposed a substantial fine if her means were greater but as she was on £120 a week benefits he would fine her just £100.

He told her to pay it at £5 a week and warned her that if she misses even one payment she will go to jail for seven days.

WIRRAL GLOBE
Posted By: Wheels Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 2nd Feb 2009 3:57pm
out of order!
Posted By: dingle Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 8th Feb 2009 5:48am
Maybe she should have sexually assaulted someone then she would have got a caution. Ridiculous!!!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 8th Feb 2009 10:32pm
There should be New laws in regards to jury service.. I tell you something know id go to jail before i go to jury serivce or pay a fine.. I dont want to deal with other peoples issues and i dont intend on to in my life time.. So flex
Posted By: DavidB Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 8th Feb 2009 10:52pm
Kill her! Along with all the people who get parking tickets.
Totally unacceptable.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 9th Feb 2009 8:39am
Jury service is something that we all should do if asked - it's one of the pillars of British society - you are judged by a jury of your peers.

If jury service is held in contempt we might as well get rid of it and have government appointed judges with no safety mechanism - oh look Soviet Russia in England's Green and Pleasant land.

Most people in my work love jury service - getting paid the same as going to work but only having to be there from 10 till half 3 !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Juror fined for failing to attend court - 9th Feb 2009 10:58am
I've been called for jury service 3 times now. Was really looking forward to shouting out "Hang the Bar****d" after a successful parking offence prosecution!

No such luck. I was cheated out of all 3 sessions. 2 pleaded guilty at the 11th hour and the sessions were cancelled - DOH ! The other one was cancelled the day before with no reason given - swines !

I wait with baited breath for another chance at seeing justice being done. Sure beats work !

© Wirral-Wikiwirral