Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 26th Nov 2008 1:14am
THIRTEEN Wirral libraries and three leisure centres are facing the axe.

Wirral Council has announced radical proposals to tackle rising energy costs and the cost of repairing ageing buildings, covering all areas of the borough.

Guinea Gap Baths, Woodchurch Leisure Centre and Grange Road West Sports Centre are recommended for closure along with Birkenhead Central Library.

Also under threat are historic Wirral Museum/Birkenhead Town Hall, with the council expected to look at options for alternative uses or disposal.

The council is also expected to close Wirral Transport Museum in Taylor Street, Birkenhead and look at alternative uses for the site - although one option is to transfer it to a trust.

And Pacific Road in Birkenhead will be closed as an arts centre, with events moving to the Floral Pavilion Theatre in New Brighton.

It wants to create a new central reference library, likely to be at Europa Pools in Birkenhead and spend £20m on 12 "multi-purpose complexes" across the borough, housing council services, library facilities and community space.

Libraries and leisure centres facing the axe are:

LIBRARIES

New Ferry Library

Higher Bebington Library

Bromborough Library/Civic Centre

Hoylake Library

Prenton Library

Ridgeway Library at Ridgeway School

Birkenhead Central Library

Beechwood Library

Pensby Library

Irby Library

Upton Library

Seacombe Library

Wallasey Village Library

LEISURE CENTRES

Grange Road West Sports Centre

Guinea Gap Baths

Woodchurch Leisure Centre

Libraries staff have contacted the News to say they were told not to talk to the press about the closures.

One man said: "The council have just spent a lot of money fixing up Birkenhead Central Library and now they want to close it - what a waste.

"Everyone is very worried about what the future holds."

Council leader Steve Foulkes said "doing nothing was never an option" but Conservative leader Jeff Green has called the proposals "disgraceful".

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 26th Nov 2008 2:02am
YE YE YE re-post a no lol sorry

http://wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/271638#Post271638
Why don't they close the schools and hospitals as well while they're at it. Who in the council gets the priviledge of deciding these things I wonder? F*cking waste of space.
I cannot believe what I'm reading here; this is vandalism. What about the large number of, mainly, older folk who like to wander round to their local library? For many, it's a rare point of social contact. If I were local I'd be hammering on the door of the Council chamber (if not the councillors).
I bet Wallasey loses out big time... Garaunteed Birkenhead gets everything for its newly regenerated areas while the rest gets leeched away from the council tax payers in Wallasey! Lets hope that our 3 Conservative councillors in Liscard are going to fight for our area... I'm not holding my breath.....
I think it makes sense to close down places that are not heavily used and may have high running costs. But then that means closing down focal points for the communities around them. Its a tough decision, but is it fare to drain more money out of council tax payers for services you know to be inefficient?
Tough call.
Vandalism, nothing short of vandalism and the whole council should resign. Birkenhead central library is our main library for gods sake.

Pacific road theatre is a marvellous place and is always well attended so what is going wrong?

Let me into the Town hall, I could could costs easily without closing much. I would start with the mayors car and the mayor for that matter. Turn the bloody heating down for one. Turn the lights out. Better still close it all down and bring in a management team who could actually run the borough properly. There is no way I am voting for any of these clowns any more and I have never missed.

Tell me how it is that years back, Wallasey ran its own buses, ferries, water plus thousands of Council houses and homes on far less money than now? Where is the ever increasing Council tax going? Oh yeh not to mention Mr Foulkes and his junket to China and thirtythree grand a year expenses. Resign now!

Sort out the top executives in the Clown hall. Do we need so many on a hundred grand plus every year? Resign the lot of you.
Posted By: stumpy Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 26th Nov 2008 12:38pm
books are gay anyway
I feel really angry about these proposed cuts. Our Governments slogan was 'education, education, education' this round of cuts if they are allowed to go ahead are going to be detrimental to the education of children across Wirral. Those families that are on low incomes and cannot afford a computer and an internet connection are now to be at a huge disadvantage. Ask any teenager how often they are given homework and asked to 'look it up on the internet' and ask your teenagers how often they are given homework and asked to print it off on their computer. For a lot of them you will find that this has become a regular feature of their homework. At least at the Library they had the oportunity to access a computer, internet and printer. The same goes for all the reference books that our children are expected to look through as part of homework.. it will be a bus ride to Birkenhead now.. What also saddens me is the effect that the closure of the Ginnea Gap Baths facility will have on our Community. There are countless numbers of Schools in Wallasey that use the facilities on a daily basis for our local children to learn how to swim and spend time in a healthy sporting activity. I'm sure there will not be the capacity at Europa Pools to accomodate all of Wallasey's children as well as Birkenhead's. I worry also about the elderly and disabled people who are at Ginnea Gap Baths every lunchtime for their swimming sessions. For many of these people it is not just a means of taking part in physical excercise but an oportunity to socialize.

Very Very Badly done WBC!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 26th Nov 2008 3:45pm
well said, clap every night for the last week or so my lad has come home from school with homework and the lot of it he has needed access to a computer (internet and printer)
and the swimming baths they go on about obeast kids of today. so what do they do close the fookin LEISURE CENTRES.
not right if ye ask me
mad mad
Well maybe if they had not put money into dodgy investments in other countries and blown the lot we wouldnt be looking at the closure of so many services that a lot of people rely on.
Originally Posted by stumpy
books are gay anyway

Nothing wrong with being gay and books are really fantastic if you just apply yourself. You can also get dvds, talking books and research family history etc at libraries. Trouble is you have to get off your arse and visit them. withstupid
AT LEAST a dozen libraries, three leisure centres, two museums and a theatre are to be shut under radical cost-cutting plans revealed by Wirral Council.

Communities across the borough have reacted with shock at the disclosure that the council is planning a massive cull of some of its best loved buildings.

But last night Cllr Steve Foulkes, leader of Wirral Council, said "doing nothing was never an option".

He said: "If we leave things as they are, we will be left with crumbling buildings, mounting repair costs and escalating levels of council tax."

Condemning the closure scheme, Tory opposition leader Jeff Green, said: "What is the point of having a council if it’s not going to provide the services people want – they tax them through the nose and give nothing back."

The report outlining the plans will be considered by the cabinet on Thursday, and is still subject to consultation, but should lead to £4m savings a year.

The council insists the massive review of all its buildings was necessary and said the plan also includes an investment of £20m over four years to develop a network of "state-of-the-art multi-purpose complexes", some newly built.

It is also possible these could be "co-located" with other public services such as the police, fire and health service, or even private sector organisations.

The council currently faces a £10m backlog of repairs to its buildings – stock which was largely inherited in 1974 from five district councils which previously governed Wirral, each of which brought their own property portfolio. Even today, many of Wirral Council’s assets remain largely unchanged from these.

The authority also faces rising energy costs and a shifting in the centres of population across the borough, as well as dealing with a massive budget deficit, predicted to be £16.6m within a year and £12.7m in two years.

In a long-awaited report – which even had a special cabinet meeting arranged to discuss it last month and was then cancelled at the last minute – the authority recommends pushing ahead with the wholesale closures of council buildings.

As a result, libraries across the borough are to be closed, including the controversial decision to axe the Birkenhead Central Library which would be replaced with a modern facility at the Europa Pools site.

Also facing closure are the leisure centres at Woodchurch, Guinea Gap and Grange Road West, as well as Pacific Road Theatre and the transport museum there, along with Wirral Museum at Birkenhead Town Hall, which could also see the registrars moved and the building "disposed of".

Guinea Gap baths in Seacombe will close and could become part of a major redevelopment scheme for the area, capitalising on the views across the Mersey.

In their place the authority plans to develop 12 "multi- purpose complexes in key community locations across Wirral" to provide a range of services.

These plans include five major offices at Bebington Civic Centre, Birkenhead (probably centred around Europa Pools and incorporating a new central reference library), Liscard, Moreton, and West Kirby (in a modernised Concourse).

There will be seven smaller centres at Eastham, Greasby, Heswall, Leasowe, Rock Ferry, St James and Woodchurch.

In his report Mr Maddox said: "Wirral will have one brand new, state of the art, central reference library, probably located at the Europa Pools site.

"In addition it is envisaged that there will be 11 area libraries at the other multi-purpose complexes."

Many others facilities could be transferred into the hands of local community groups which would operate them – effectively absolving the authority of financial responsibility for them. These include 19 community and recreation centres across the borough, plus Leasowe Lighthouse, New Ferry Village Hall and Ivy Farm.

Even the number of libraries closed could yet be higher, with Wallasey Central Library listed to be retained, but with the comment: "To be reviewed as options are developed for the Liscard Multi-purpose complex."

Last night, opposition politicians were condemning the plans, and the Conservatives’ prospective candidate for West Wirral, Esther McVey, said: "Labour and the Liberal Democrats are clearly out of touch with what is happening in the communities around Wirral.

"How anyone could seriously suggest that closing Hoylake Library is a ‘service improvement’ is beyond belief.

"If their plans go through, then there is no doubt that villages such Irby and Pensby will be much worse off, while many of our community centres will also be facing an uncertain future this Christmas."

And Wallasey councillor Leah Fraser said: "If we needed any further sign of this council’s complete disregard for Wallasey, then this is it.

"Labour’s message couldn’t be clearer, ‘if you want to borrow a book, go to Birkenhead and if you want to go for a swim, go to Europa Pools’.

"Wallasey Central Library and Guinea Gap Baths are two important local facilities that are much loved and well-used. These cuts will be completely unacceptable to people in Wallasey."

Cllr Sheila Clarke in Bebington said: "These cuts are terrible news. I cannot believe that any councillor who knows his or her community will support these cuts.

"Bebington should not be paying the price for this council’s incompetence and I am urging the two Labour councillors in Bebington to work with me to stop the closure of Higher Bebington Library."

The report says that if councillors want some replacements in the areas where existing libraries are recommended for closure "a mobile Library/One Stop Shop service could be established at a projected annual cost of in the region of £200,000".

However, the report added: "Given the council’s present overall financial position, this option is, on balance, not recommended."

Cllr Steve Foulkes said it is essential his authority carries out this review of all the council’s built assets "to ensure they are fit for the 21st Century and beyond".

And he was scathing about the complaints of opposition politicians, saying "jumping up and down and shouting will not solve the council’s problems".

He said without action council tax could "increase exponentially" and this plan will allow the authority to improve services to meet the quality people expect, in locations which suit them.

He said: "If you look at the user numbers we can adequately provide for them, and allow for an expansion if we can attract more customers."

He said the council facilities compete with private gyms and pools, while libraries are effectively in competition with bookshops such as Waterstones.

Cllr Foulkes said: "We are a two star authority and our aim is to become a four star council. Sefton is larger geographically and has eight libraries, yet is a four star council. We have had 24 libraries.

"We have maintained that as long as we can, but you either bury your head in the sand and hope these problems go away – which they won’t – or you deal with them."

He said: "By investing £20m to provide ‘better but fewer’ buildings, Wirral residents will be able to enjoy high-quality and efficient modern facilities while keeping Council Tax at an acceptable level.

"These proposals are rightly radical and comprehensive and will have implications for residents across the borough, not to mention many of our own staff.

"Through consultation and communication with all those affected, we hope to minimise any negative impact of these proposals and move towards the goal of sustainable, modern, energy efficient buildings which will also contribute to the regeneration of our poorest areas."

Something's got to be done I'm sure but surely there's better ways than mass culls of our public services!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 26th Nov 2008 6:26pm
there is some of are vews on this matter hear happy

http://wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/271707#Post271707

Yeah, I saw that just after I posted and there's no delete option, maybe the story can be added as it has more info on what they plan to do.
Dunno why Beechwood is going, it don't seem to be in a state of "disrepair" to me, in fact it seems fairly modern in all honesty (well, you know, as modern as local libraries get lol).

Im just glad to see that Moreton isnt facing the axe.

smile
Seems the wirral council are taking away our services cause they have nothing else better to do.. Look at labours budget council tax gonna be raised, vat is gonna be raised.. This country is over..
Originally Posted by SoundLad
This country is over..

Thats last dcecades news mate, the country was over the day Blair got in power, it was just hidden away till recently all was revealed.

Tis a real shame John Smith died when he did, otherwise we would have never taken any notice of Blair - although that other c**t Brown would have probably become PM after 2 terms, but Smith would'nt have let him run the ecnomony with suck stupidity and no safety net...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 1:45am
no worrys bud happy

it soon will be History so haveing a topic in hear too is all good thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 27th Nov 2008 1:46am
If the Earlston Library was to close then the place that Liscard was founded on will be lost. It also has the best Reference library.

To be honest, I think the Council are scare mondering. I think it's all bollox.

I am off to watch "Minder"....>>
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 27th Nov 2008 1:46am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=271832#Post271832
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 2:28am
I honestly think the Council are scare mongering. They want more cash from the Goverment so they list a name of well established and well known services that will close..

...and then we all complain on BBC's "Question Time" next month when it's held at one of the places that been earmarked to close - The Pacific Road Arts Centre.

It's all spin from a lack lustre Council that couldn't run a bath never mind The Wirral.
Originally Posted by Morseman
Originally Posted by stumpy
books are gay anyway

Nothing wrong with being gay and books are really fantastic if you just apply yourself. You can also get dvds, talking books and research family history etc at libraries. Trouble is you have to get off your arse and visit them. withstupid

thats what the problem is.......people all over wirral are shoutin, screamin and stampin feet cos the libraries are closin but how many actually get off their arses and go the library, i dont thats why i aint bothered, yes i read books (mainly footballers autobiographys if anyones interested) but i aint been near a library since i left school 10 years ago, so if more of these people who are moanin went they wouldn't be closing!!!!!
"thats what the problem is.......people all over wirral are shoutin, screamin and stampin feet cos the libraries are closin but how many actually get off their arses and go the library, i dont thats why i aint bothered, yes i read books (mainly footballers autobiographys if anyones interested) but i aint been near a library since i left school 10 years ago, so if more of these people who are moanin went they wouldn't be closing!!!!! "

I used to be like that until I started going again about a year back cos I had no money and still wanted to read - the books are relatively up to date (and free!), you can renew them online, they have free newspapers and magazines and lots of other usefull stuff like classes and mother and baby groups.

What are people supposed to do on Beechwood now - oh yeah they'll be kept busy for a few weeks smashing up the empty building......
Forgot to add is there any plan for new or upgraded buildings to relace the loss of leisure and library services eg if we're all going to have to drive to Bebington Library will they make it bigger and provide more car parking and a better bus service?

Point of order Mr/Madam Chairperson. Earlston road is not closing or should I say is not on the list for closure. It is Wallasey Village library that is closing. This one is situated in St Georges road.

I love my libraries and second what brother/sister AR_One says! smile
Posted By: Ducko Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 10:08am
BigBadStuey for pm i say
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 12:52pm
Hah! I wish! Angela Eagle's job would do me. It's just ridiculous how Wirral's becoming so Birkenhead-centric. So the main library's going to be at Europa Pools in some soul-less building conned to us as some "state-of-the-art" load of rubbish (I'm 25 by the way) when we should be delving into our history and revealing its proud roots. We have nothing for new local music on the Wirral if Pacific Road closes, you've got half a dozen places in Liverpool but nothing here but we'll have a number of buildings on the Wirral which are disused but perfect for such a thing. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's ok, we'll just wait for them to burn down so they can profit from the sale of the land to private developers.
Posted By: Ducko Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 2:11pm
development development suv it up there a** leav us with r history
I read this page which made me smile....

Thursday, November 27, 2008
Council closes Wirral
Wirral Borough Council last night announced they are closing the borough due to budget cut backs.

I found it here... http://wirralgroan.blogspot.com/
Anyone else notice that all the proposed "new" places are in pay and display areas?

Now if I was a cynic.......................
Originally Posted by AR_One
"thats what the problem is.......people all over wirral are shoutin, screamin and stampin feet cos the libraries are closin but how many actually get off their arses and go the library, i dont thats why i aint bothered, yes i read books (mainly footballers autobiographys if anyones interested) but i aint been near a library since i left school 10 years ago, so if more of these people who are moanin went they wouldn't be closing!!!!! "

I used to be like that until I started going again about a year back cos I had no money and still wanted to read - the books are relatively up to date (and free!), you can renew them online, they have free newspapers and magazines and lots of other usefull stuff like classes and mother and baby groups.

What are people supposed to do on Beechwood now - oh yeah they'll be kept busy for a few weeks smashing up the empty building......

I use the library, mainly Beechwood or Moreton. I don't use it all the time, but I quite often wander in and come out with a few books of interest to me (usually things like Wirral history, but did anyone know they actually do Haines manuals too).

Im not going to shout and stamp my feet, because Moreton being safe means it does not affect me much, but its still wrong, there is a lot of older people I know (45+) who use the libraries on a regular basis.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Say hello to more decrepit old buildings! - 27th Nov 2008 11:27pm
It pisses me off because there is no money in the council cos its all going on the council fat cats final salary pensions !

* spits *

How about putting some of your 40k a year into a fund since your acting in the interest of Wirral ??? idiots
Posted By: SoundLad Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 27th Nov 2008 11:35pm
Is there a way to not Pay Council tax? Cause i would certainly put 2 fingers up to it. Why should i pay it when all it goes on is crap.. £92 a month it is for me and it enrages me..
Well according to this...

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/3935198.EXCLUSIVE___MP_s_letter_slams_library_closure_plan/

It looks like the council are in trouble with the local MPs..

Maybe the huge public outcry and protest has done some good...
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Is there a way to not Pay Council tax? Cause i would certainly put 2 fingers up to it. Why should i pay it when all it goes on is crap.. £92 a month it is for me and it enrages me..

Its paying for the repairs after all the bag eds have wrecked the houses and been moved into another newly done up house as their old one was no longer livable.

Don't pay it, they will take you to court though. I have seen on TV pensioners who havent paid it and been sent to prison etc. If enough people didnt pay, what the fook would they do, turn hundreds, maybe thousands of law abiding people into criminals serving prison sentences.

I think council tax, like anything we pay in life, should be a value for money service. The council go ahead and do things with our money that people very rarely ever want, and never do the simplest things that people and communities need.

If I went and paid £150 for repairs to my car, and was ripped off, then I would have trading standards etc, all backing me up, but who is there to back the average consumer up when the councils rip us off.

Labour certainly arnt going to do anything, unless the shit is on their doorstep.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 29th Nov 2008 1:41am
Library closures give council leader "sleepless nights

THE leader of Wirral Council says proposals to close twelve libraries and three sports centres on the borough have given him sleepless nights.

Labour's Steve Foulkes made the confession at a rowdy meeting of Wirral Council's cabinet last night (November 27) - prompting scornful laughter from angry audience members.

The heated meeting saw more than 100 members of the public pack into Wallasey Town Hall to see councillors decide the way forward for the controversial strategic asset review, which would see buildings like Birkenhead Central Library and Guinea Gap Baths close and arts events moved from Pacific Road Arts Centre to the Floral Pavilion.

Liberal Democrat leader Simon Holbrook spoke in support of the review but his comments about the "extremely high quality" redevelopment of Bebington Oval - which re-opens on Saturday after being closed for more than a year - prompted more loud laughter and jeers.

Unison members protested outside Wallasey Town Hall before the meeting, with one sign reading: 'Wirral Council's contribution to the National Year of Reading? Close the libraries'.

Cabinet members agreed to convene a special area forum conference "as soon as possible" for public debate and referred the matter to a special scrutiny committee.

After six weeks of public and staff consultation, councillors will make a decision on the proposals at another cabinet meeting on January 15.

Councillor Foulkes said he was prepared to talk to private sector groups with ideas for the future of some of the closure-threatened buildings - and revealed he had already been approached about the Birkenhead Central Library building on Borough Road.

He said: "There will be less assets at the end of this, that's something that's glaringly obvious and has been for some time. It's not something we take lightly.

"I've had so many sleepless nights over this report but I genuinely believe that we have to grasp the mettle on this. We need to work with staff and I think they will enjoy the end result, working in better appreciated, more used facilities.

"There will be anxiety because people have an attachment to buildings and they have an attachment to staff who work in those buildings.

"But the footfall that goes through some of the facilities is extremely low and I think it's difficult to justify them.

"You can bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away but I don't think this situation is one where we can do nothing."

The council currently faces a £10m backlog of repairs to its buildings – stock which was largely inherited in 1974 from five district councils which previously governed Wirral, each of which brought their own property portfolio.

Councillors say the authority must also tackle rising energy costs and a massive budget deficit, predicted to be £16.6m within a year and £12.7m in two years.

Cllr Foulkes said he would listen to any community group or private sector partner who could come up with other ideas for the buildings threatened with closure.

He added: "If the consultation comes back and people say that they don't want a central library anywhere but where Birkenhead Central Library is now then we will listen to that.

"But I think we need to talk again with private and public sector partners about the use of that building for something more suitable."

The council wants to invest £20m in creating "multi-purpose complexes" across the borough providing community, council and library services in partnership with other agencies like Wirral PCT.

Conservatives called the meeting a "sham".

Wirral Conservative leader Cllr Jeff Green, who was refused permission to address cabinet members on the proposals, said: "If Wirral doesn't do leisure, libraries and sports centres, what is the council there for?

"I thought that was a sham of a meeting. If this is the way this so-called consultation is going to run it's quite clear it's a done deal.

"This is an appalling day for Wirral Council."

Liscard Cllr Leah Fraser said the meeting would confirm the worst fears of community organisations across Wirral and criticised plans to hold the consultation over the busy Christmas and New Year period.

Comment in forum, at http://forums.wirralnews.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=57547

EXCLUSIVE - MP's letter slams library closure plan
3:30pm Friday 28th November 2008

Comments (2) Have your say »

By Justin Dunn »

THE PROPOSED closure of libraries and leisure centres across Wirral has been slammed as the “wholesale slaughter” of vital public services by Wirral West MP Stephen Hesford.

In a stinging letter of rebuke sent to Wirral Council leader Steve Foulkes, Mr Hesford claims that an exercise to improve the use of council land and assets has instead become “little short of an act of corporate vandalism”.

The letter, obtained by the Globe, was sent in advance of a crisis meeting to be held this evening between Wirral’s four Labour MPs and Cllr Foulkes and senior council officers.

Of the closure plans, Mr Hesford writes: “It is impossible to see which of Wirral’s people benefits.”

He is being joined for the 4pm showdown today by fellow MPs Ben Chapman of Wirral South, Frank Field of Birkenhead, and Angela Eagle of Wallasey.

Mr Hesford demanded the face to face talks after it was revealed on the Globe website on Tuesday that the council was planning to close 14 libraries, three leisure centres and the Pacific Road arts venue as part of a highly controversial strategic asset review.

The closures are just part of a plan that would also see community centres and village halls across Wirral stripped of their council staff and funding from as early as March next year.

A stormy meeting of the council’s ruling “cabinet” committee on Thursday, also attended by over 100 protestors, voted to put the plans out to consultation until January 15, when a final decision on the suggested closures will be made.

If the plans are rubber-stamped in the new year, as likely, it would mean the permanent closure of Guinea Gap Pool and Recreation Centre in Seacombe, Grange Road West Sports Centre and Woodchurch Leisure Centre.

Both Birkenhead and Wallasey Central Libaries also face being closed, but will be rehoused in new multi-purpose complexes to be built in their respective towns.

However, community libraries in Hoylake, Pensby, Upton, Irby, Bromborough, Higher Bebington, New Ferry, Seacombe, Wallasey Village, Prenton, Ridgeway and Beechwood all face the axe.

The council claims the drastic measures would save the local authority £3.7m a year in maintenance and staffing costs.

Instead, it plans to invest £20m building or refurbishing eleven mult-purpose centres around the peninsula offering services such as One Stop Shops and healthcare.

In his letter to Cllr Foulkes, a clearly irate Mr Hesford declares: “What appears to be proposed is little short of an act of corporate vandalism.

“I have now had an opportunity to read all the relevant papers, including the report which went to cabinet dated July 9, 2008. It is clear that what set out to be an exercise to ‘improve the use of the council’s land and assets … for the benefit of the people of Wirral’ has become a wholesale slaughter of services. It is impossible to see which of Wirral’s people benefits.”

He adds: “The original report claimed that it set out to ‘improve services’ by matching and disposing of ‘under used and obsolete properties’. Moreover, the report claimed to have ‘no financial complication’; ‘no direct staffing implications’; ‘no direct anti poverty implications’ and ‘no direct Social Inclusion implications’.

“How can the stripping out of libraries and sports centres, particularly from places like Woodchurch, not have any of the implications listed above?

“This whole process has become misconceived and two quite separate considerations have been conflated, namely, the provision of services and the management of buildings.

“In view of this, I will be asking the meeting to seriously reconsider the whole process, and in the future if any asset review is to go ahead, all parties, including MPs, will be involved from an early stage.”

Mr Hesford was unavailable for comment.

sounds like a load of crap to me

this is happening down here in the port too

if i remember correctly the main EPIC leisure centre was earmarked for closure earlier in the year, but its still trading..... but for how long

all because we have David Lloyds further up the road who have stupidly high prices
For those of you who are interested there is a group called 'Save Wirral Services'
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=36938458013&ref=mf

The group owner is organising a demonstration on the 15th January for those who feel strongly.
cant see earlston libary closing down, no way.
Is everyone aware of www.faxyourmp.com? If you put in your post code you see all your MPs - write your message there and they all receive it.

They are under legal obligation to respond within a short space of time.
Save Wirral's Services Protest
10th December 2008 - Leisure and Tourism Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Event InfoHost:
Save Wirral's Services
Type:
Causes - Protest
Network:
Global
Time and PlaceDate:
10 December 2008
Time:
17:30 - 20:30
Street:
Brighton Street
Town/City:
Wallasey, United Kingdom

View Map
Google
MapQuest
Microsoft
Yahoo
Description
In conjunction with Unison, and every other concerned party/individual, we are organising a mass protest at this special meeting of the Scrutiny Committee. Details about the meeting, as released to the press, below.

COUNCILLOR JOHN HALE, CHAIRMAN OF THE CULTURE, LEISURE AND TOURISM OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE HAS CALLED A SPECIAL MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER THE CABINET’S PROPOSALS TO CLOSE LIBRARIES, LEISURE CENTRES AND TO TRANSFER COMMUNITY CENTRES WITHOUT ANY GUARANTEES OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT.
THE MEETING WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 10 DECEMBER AT 6.15 PM AT WALLASEY TOWN HALL. COUNCILLOR HALE INVITES MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC OR ORGANISATIONS AFFECTED BY THE PROPOSED CLOSURES TO CONTACT THE CONSERVATIVE GROUP OFFICE AT THE TOWN HALL ON 0151 691 8550 BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9AM-5PM SHOULD THEY WISH TO SPEAK OR GIVE EVIDENCE AT THE MEETING.
Special Area Forum Conference for Birkenhead, Tranmere, Rock Ferry, Bidston, Claughton, Oxton and Prenton - this will be held at the Lauries Centre on 5 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for Heswall, Pensby, Thingwall, Bebington, Clatterbridge, Bromborough and Eastham - this will be held at Hulme Hall on 6 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for West Wirral (Hoylake and Meols, West Kirby and Thurstaston), Greasby, Frankby, Irby, Upton and Woodchurch – this will be held at West Kirby Concourse on 7 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for Leasowe, Moreton and Saughall Massie, New Brighton, Wallasey, Liscard and Seacombe – this will be held at the Floral Pavilion on 8 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Please feel free to contact the Council, your Councillors and MP with any queries you have, they are there to serve YOU!
Subject:
05-09-2006 :
Peel unveil plans for £4.5 billion "Wirral Waters" scheme .
What about The Pacific Road Theatre ?

Date: 3 December 2008 12:52:43 GMT

To: [email protected]

For the Attention of : A Tennant .

I don't think that this is in the interests of Peel from a PR viewpoint and I think you as a Corporation need to be made aware, as if ... you need to be , which I doubt , of the fact the lunatics are running the asylum that is the MB of Wirral Council .

This venue should be central to the vision of Wirral Waters ..it is a listed building of limited use for any purpose other than the one it has now. As is true of many of the other proposed closures !

Encs. is the link to just one of the protest sites.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40793707133&ref=mf

The content below is the main info page.

The site has added 500 members in 3 days since launched and is growing exponentially .

The Arts community both on the Wirral & in Liverpool is starting to get motivated .

It's all over the Local papers and Radio ...as you will be aware.

The Artists who have appeared since the announcement are bemused, angry and prepared to back us.

What has surprised me is the proportion of youngsters, about 75% of the membership ,are around 6th form age and furious. And may become politcalised as a result of this; They are the generation Peel are ( speculating ) hoping, expecting and banking on, to become the future employers, employees & residents of Wirral Waters ??

In light of the Peel Corporate's statement on the Brochure that "Peel are at the heart of the community" I would ask John Whittaker or Robert Hough and Mike Butterworth to either get involved or issue a statement refuting and allaying the suspicions that a deal has already been done by Peel & the MB of W, with regards to the Pacific Road site and its future use's.

Which if Peel do respond ...I undertake to publish in full on the site without alteration.

Sincerely
Tim Tapling

facebook group: 'Save Pacific Road': admin & creator .

It will be interesting to see if they do respond to this email. The curse of Peel Holdings strikes again raftl
None of that makes sense...
Im confused bout the above as well.. Dont understand.. lol
Can you make out any connection between the above and wirral libraries? It all seems jibberish lol.
It's the dates for the public conferences about the closures. The one after is about Pacific Road - all are earmarked for closure.

The email was sent to Peel Holdings who seem to have their fingers in a lot of pies where some of the buildings that have been and are being closed down.

Hope that helps.
ahhh smile that'l be intresting hehe. Wonder what peel will do to the Birkenhead Central library site ?? Keep it and use it as offices or summit ?
What would Peel Holdings want with Beechwood Library?

raftl
There appears to be at least 1500 people attending so it should be fun raftl

Peel will probably buy it for a knock down price after it mysteriously becomes a BBQ.
Originally Posted by MattLFC
What would Peel Holdings want with Beechwood Library?

raftl

It's Pacific Road Arts they are mainly interested in as it is in the way for their plans for Woodside and surrounding area, but I really wouldn't put anything past them tbh.
Maybe they could use it to display their plans for Wirral Waters lol; they need'nt do that though, a few of the shops next to it are empty lol.
The way things are going, there will be more than a few shops empty raftl
Id just like something to happen instead of sitting around waiting for something to happen.. Its like the boy who cried wolf in the end nobody is going to care whats going to happen as long as it does..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 5th Dec 2008 2:28am
Protest over Woodchurch pool closure plan

WOODCHURCH swimming club is just one devastated group affected by Wirral Council’s plans for a massive building and facility shutdown.

The club’s training pool at Woodchurch Leisure Centre is on the list of three sports centres and 12 libraries due to close to save the council £3.7m in annual expenditure.

Concerns have been voiced by swimming teachers at the club who are worried their 400 children will no longer have water to swim in.

Even if the club can be transferred to another pool, there are fears that swimming time will be cut dramatically.

Brenda Thompson has taught children voluntarily at Woodchurch Swimming Club for 20 years.

She said: “Everybody at our club is so upset with the news that our leisure centre might close.

“Since the news broke the phone hasn’t stopped ringing with parents asking us if it’s all a sick joke.

“All other alternative swimming pools that we could use are already being used to full capacity, so if our club was to join them somebody would lose out.

“It will either be public swimming time or swimming clubs and lessons that will be cut to make everything fit a crowded timetable.

“Children are required by government guidelines to swim 25 meters before joining secondary school - achieving this is going to be difficult if the move goes ahead.

“Our club is keeping children healthy and it’s a social thing as well - it can totally change children with no confidence which is quite amazing to see.

“The knock-on effects of this council move could be absolutely horrendous and I fear the children and public are going to miss out on so much.”

A spokesman for Wirral Council said: “We are currently examining the programme of all swimming provision across Wirral pools.

“We will ensure that swimming provision is balanced across the borough.”

How will you be affected by the proposed closures? Tell wirral
news by e-mailing [email protected], call 288 7649 or write to Wirral News, 76 Hamilton Street, Birkenhead CH41 5AN.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 5th Dec 2008 2:32am
Hundreds sign petition to save Wallasey’s Guinea Gap Baths

A CAMPAIGN to save closure-threatened Guinea Gap Baths is gathering momentum this week.

Hundreds of supporters have signed petitions calling for the historic recreation centre to be kept open - and over 300 people have joined an internet campaign group.

The News revealed last week that Wirral Council has identified Guinea Gap for closure as part of its strategic asset review - with Wallasey Village and Seacombe Libraries also earmarked for closure.

The proposals cover all areas of the borough and could also see Pacific Road closed as an arts centre and Birkenhead Central Library closed and moved to the Europa Pools site.

Councillors say a borough-wide area forum to discuss the proposals will be held in the next few weeks.

But Liscard councillor Leah Fraser is calling on the council to set up a special meeting for Liscard and Seacombe residents to have their say.

She said: “A consultation period that involves perhaps a single area forum meeting for the whole borough, over the Christmas period, is clearly not designed to allow as many members of the public as possible to take part and give their views.

“That’s why I am pushing for the area forum I chair, covering Liscard and Seacombe, to hold a special meeting for the public in those areas to come along.

“Many of the community services in Liscard and Seacombe, Poulton and Egremont, will be slashed if these cuts are approved.”

At a bad-tempered meeting of Wirral Council’s cabinet at Wallasey Town Hall on Thursday, chief executive Steve Maddox said: “Unless we do something these facilities will not survive.”

The council believes the Guinea Gap site could become part of a major redevelopment scheme for Seacombe, capitalising on its views across the Mersey.

But members of the “Save Our Guinea Gap Baths” group on the Facebook website argue swimmers flock to the centre because of its unique position.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 9th Dec 2008 4:09pm
Award-winning athlete joins campaign to save Woodchurch Leisure Centre

A GOLD medal winning athlete who trains at Woodchurch Leisure Centre has criticised Wirral Council's plans to close the centre.

Swimmer Matthew Dodd, 19, who had a life-saving liver transplant when he was five, has won gold medals at the World Transplant Games in Bangkok and Canada.

But he said he fears the closure of the pool would hinder his chances at next year's games in Australia.

Matthew, a member of Woodchurch Swimming Club, said: "It's disgusting. I have training at Woodchurch for years and now I'm told to join private fitness clubs. I'm a student and can't afford their prices."

Upton Councillor Tom Anderson said: "Matthew is an example to us all. Having had a liver transplant and going on to train hard to compete and win in the World Transplant Games is a great achievement. I only hope that Matthew will not be prevented from achieving his goals by the closure of Woodchurch Leisure Centre.’

He added: "At a time when obesity is on the increase and the government is pushing for healthier lifestyles, it’s preposterous that this council wants to close three leisure centres."

WIRRAL Council has announced the dates of special area forum conferences for members of the public to share their views on proposals to close libraries and sports centres across the borough.

Find the dates and venues at: http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...-forums-on-culture-plans-80491-22396850/

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 11th Dec 2008 12:56am

Wirral libraries 'can only saved by 4% levy'

WIRRAL’S closure-threatened libraries and leisure centres can only be saved by the imposition of a 4% “cultural levy”, over and above council tax, says Wirral council leader Steve Foulkes.

The Labour leader defended proposals to axe Birkenhead Library, Pacific Road Arts Centre and Grange Road Sports Centre, saying: “As long as I’m leader and breathe air, I will not walk away from my duty to the council tax payer and will not steal money out of their pockets.”

But Conservative leader Cllr Jeff Green believes Cllr Foulkes is trying to “obscure the issues”.

Cllr Foulkes told the News residents should “keep in the back of their mind” that if £3.8m savings are not made as proposed, the council would look elsewhere.

Education is ring-fenced, children and adult social services remain a statutory duty, “which leaves highways and culture”, the council leader said.

Cllr Foulkes said: “We’ve invested heavily in quality services, our recycling record is heralded as among the best in the country and we have one of the best education services.

“It’s fantastic and every young person has the opportunity to benefit.

“They’ve not been cheap and the priority now is moving into a better quality environment in the leisure and culture sector.”

But West Kirby’s Cllr Green claims at least £3m can be stripped from the proposed £9m fuel budget, as prices tumble, and £1.4m is due as a reward grant from the local area agreement.

According to Cllr Foulkes the strategic review has been announced now because the administration has a legal duty to set council tax by March, and any public consultation must conclude by then.

He added that Wirral is one of the few authorities not making people compulsorily redundant, asked residents to be positive about the potential £20m culture investment and slammed the Conservatives for ignoring budget pressures.

Cllr Foulkes said: “If we don’t take into account or move towards that process, then you’re being asked by the opposition party to pay an extra 4% in cultural levy.

“They can come out and say that.”

But the Conservative leader responded: “We should be providing quality services locally that people can use and if Cllr Foulkes and his Liberal Democrat colleagues want to step aside, they should do so now and we’ll give an absolute commitment to keep these facilities open.”

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 11th Dec 2008 1:01am

THE PEOPLE'S PROTEST

HUNDREDS of people are expected to protest against the council’s proposed mass cull of libraries and leisure centres this week.

The demonstration at Wallasey Town Hall is the latest move in what is proving to be the biggest “no” campaign against the local authority in recent times.

Nearly 2,000 people have joined an online protest group called Save Wirral Services on the social networking website, Facebook.

Nearly 300 of them say they may attend a special meeting of the council’s culture, leisure and tourism overview and scrutiny committee at the town hall tonight, Wednesday, at 6pm - a committee essentially there to study how any decisions made about those departments were reached.

Its chairman, the Conservative councillor John Hale, called for the meeting “to consider the [council] cabinet’s proposals to close libraries, leisure centres and to transfer community centres without any guarantee of financial support”.

Libraries facing closure and no replacement are those in Hoylake, Pensby, Upton, Irby, Bromborough, Higher Bebington, New Ferry, Seacombe, Wallasey Village, Prenton, Ridgeway and Beechwood. Birkenhead and Wallasey Central Libraries also face being closed and moved into so-called “multi-purpose” new buildings.

Guinea Gap, Woodchurch and Grange Road West sport centres will be closed, along with the Pacific Road theatre.

Twenty community centres and village halls across Wirral face losing their staff and funding. And a slew of other, smaller council buildings around the borough will also close for good.

The council says it will invest £20m in “better but fewer” buildings around the borough instead.

Wirral Council’s Labour and Liberal Democrat “cabinet” committee has voted to send the controversial plans out to consultation for six weeks - even though that includes the Christmas and New Year holiday - which gives “interested parties” until just January 15 to register their objections.

Last week, in an exclusive article for www.wirralglobe.co.uk, Birkenhead MP Frank Field offered tacit support for the closures, saying: “No change on how Wirral delivers us services is not an option.”

But his fellow Labour MP for Wirral West, Stephen Hesford, has condemned the plan as the “wholesale slaughter” of public services.

Posted By: Anonymous Hundreds protest at library closures - 12th Dec 2008 1:04am
HUNDREDS of angry protestors gathered at Wallasey Town Hall last night to protest at the proposed closure of libraries and leisure centres.

During the meeting of the council's culture, tourism and leisure overview and scrutiny committee, some of the 300-plus demonstrators were invited to give their views on the proposals, which are part of the council’s strategic asset review.

Its chairman, Hoylake Conservative Cllr John Hale, had originally tabled a motion calling for the closure programme to be withdrawn and that future proposals were subjected to genuine consultation through the normal area forums.

He also called for staff and user organisations to be consulted over a realistic time scale, on the understanding that future proposals did not reduce the levels of service or accessibility.

But the committee’s two Liberal Democrat and two Labour councillors voted in favour of an amendment that called for the current six-week consultation process to continue.

The proposals, which could allegedly lead to the loss of more than 1,000 jobs, will go back to cabinet on January 15, when a final decision will be made.

Area forums will take place on the following dates: Monday, January 5, at 7pm in the Lauries Centre, Claughton Road, Birkenhead; for residents in Birkenhead, Tranmere, Rock Ferry, Bidston,Claughton, Oxton and Prenton.

Tuesday, January 6 at 7pm at Hulme Hall in Bolton Road, Port Sunlight; for residents from Heswall, Pensby, Thingwall, Bebington, Clatterbridge, Bromborough and Eastham.

Wednesday, January 7, at 7pm West Kirby Concourse; for residents from Hoylake, Meols, West Kirby, Thurstaston, Greasby, Frankby, Irby, Upton and Woodchurch.

Thursday, January 8, at the Floral Pavilion in New Brighton; for residents from Leasowe, Moreton, Saughall Massie, New Brighton, Wallasey, Liscard and Seacombe.

Cllr John Hale, who is one of three Conservative councillors on the committee opposing the cuts, told the Globe: “I think it’s shocking that, so far, the staff and unions haven’t been consulted and I think it’s shocking that only four forums are to be held with many, many people who will be unable to get to them.

“Frankly, I’m alright Jack, because they are holding ours at the Concourse and I live in Hoylake. But a lot of people from Woodchurch and Upton are going to find it very, very difficult to get there, particularly those without cars or public transport. It’s the same for people from Pensby, who are going to have to go to Hulme Hall.

“Okay, it would have taken more time and effort, but the consultation should have been held at 11 forums which would have been a lot more localised. It’s all because of the budget and I don’t think the public’s views, in the end, will be taken into account. There may be the odd amendment, but I have very grave doubts as to the real influence it will have, because the cabinet members have made up their minds.“ Carla Williams, secretary of the Joint Management Committee which runs Hoylake Community Centre, agrees that more forums should be organised.

She told the Globe: “I would ask the council to re-think these locations and to create at least another four locations for the areas most affected by the cuts, so everyone can have their democratic say, because our council must start to listen to the people, and realise they have made the biggest mistake of their administration, and if they can’t or don’t listen then they must be asked as councillors to resign and restand for re-election on these proposals.”

Since the consultation period was started on November 27, more than 2000 people have joined an online campaign Save Wirral Services on networking site Facebook, with 800 adding their names to the Save Pacific Road website.

Liscard conservative councillor Leah Fraser was among those who marched from closure-threatened Guinea Gap baths to the town Hall before Wednesday’s meeting.

In her address to the committee, Cllr Fraser asked how many people would be losing their jobs under the proposed cuts.

"It seems the council doesn't know," she said. "I was staggered that, at a time when hundreds of council workers are facing redeployment in other departments, the council seems to think another few hundred in culture and leisure jobs can also be redeployed elsewhere.

"This shows how rushed and hasty these cuts are - the council wants to cut services and jobs but doesn't know how many but it's all got to be sorted by March. It's not about consultation - it's about meeting a Government target."

Commenting on a petition on the Downing Street website, Cllr Fraser added: "I have signed the petition and I urge others to do the same. Earlier today, Gordon Brown announced he had saved the world.

Let's hope he can save Wirral's leisure services."

Jeff Brandman, from Wirral Unison, said: “These cuts will rip out the heart of the local community and create cultural deserts in this borough. Libraries are an integral part of this borough and closure would disenfranchise local residents.

“There has been no consultation whatsoever with Wirral Unison. The council should stop listening to overpaid spin doctors. It should start listening to the voters of Wirral and the trade unions.”

Posted By: jimbob Re: Wirral libraries and leisure centres facing axe - 13th Dec 2008 11:02pm
Think the council have already started the process of shutting the libraries. Go in the main librarie on Borough Road and you will see vast areas of shelves empty of books. They have not been filled since the place re-openend. Lack of books on the shelves means less people bothering to go back. This means the council can then say its closing due to lack of use, or to use there modern fancy way of saying things {low foot fall} Remember the consultant they had saying the reason they where not going to carry out the repairs to the sky lights was thet the central library was not on the main bus routs, so not acessable to people. Whats all those things that travel up and down Borough road all day stopping at those posts that have a sign on them that says bus stop?
Posted By: Anonymous Union launches national campaign to save libraries - 16th Dec 2008 1:47am
A UNION has launched a national campaign to save the UK's libraries - weeks after Wirral Council announced proposals to shut 14 libraries on the borough.

Unison is warning the country's library service is nearing "crisis point" because of cuts and closures and the threat of privatisation.

Union leaders said across the UK a number of libraries have closed in recent years or are facing closure - citing Wirral as an example.

The union has published a five-point plan calling for extra spending and more support from communities to save their local libraries.

General secretary Dave Prentis said: "The library service is nearing a crisis point after suffering years of funding cuts, deskilling of the workforce and recent threats of outsourcing.

"Although more people visited their local library last year than went to the cinema or a football match, the numbers are declining and so we also need to concentrate on attracting new readers.

"Unison's plan aims to put communities in the driving seat to shape their local library service.

"We need a skilled workforce for the future and it would be a good investment for the Chancellor to spend some of his recession proofing pounds on libraries."

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Union launches national campaign to save libraries - 17th Dec 2008 11:08pm
DEMANDS for a referendum on plans to close libraries and leisure centres were defeated at a meeting of all 66 Wirral councillors on Monday.

Council leader Steve Foulkes and Councillor Bob Moon, cabinet member for culture, tourism and leisure, were repeatedly shouted down by members of the public sitting in a packed public gallery as they tried to defend plans to invest £20m to develop a network of “multi-purpose complexes”.

Upton councillor Tom Anderson, making his maiden speech in the council chamber, won a standing ovation from the public gallery when he said the closures would “take an axe to the heart of Wirral that will have repercussions for years to come.”

Members of the public were allowed to ask questions on the council’s controversial strategic asset review and other issues like school crossing patrols.

A series of petitions protesting about plans to close buildings like Guinea Gap Baths were handed in before the meeting started, containing around 24,000 signatures in total.

Speaking for his party’s motion, which included the referendum proposal, Wirral Conservative leader Jeff Green said: “This would have the biggest impact on local services for a generation and we believe there should be a referendum of the public of Wirral.

“The public will never forget this betrayal of their interests.”

Speaking in favour of the closures, Liberal Democrat leader Simon Holbrook said: “There are times when we are all called upon to do difficult things - the question is whether we rise to the challenge.”

Council leader Steve Foulkes was booed as he repeated his claim that “doing nothing is not an option”.

He said: “This is the start of a consultation and people are engaging in this process, people are making their point of view known, they are asking questions.

“Wirral’s population has declined by 40,000 since 1974 - to say that nothing should be done is plain stupidity.”

The referendum proposal was defeated by votes from Labour and Lib Dem councillors.

Posted By: Anonymous We’re being silenced by council, claim workers - 17th Dec 2008 11:10pm
We’re being silenced by council, claim workers

LIBRARY and sports centre staff who could lose their jobs in the council’s cultural services shake-up say they are being denied their right to speak out on the controversial proposals.

Workers say managers have warned them to stay out of the furore over plans to close 14 libraries and three sports centres and advised them to remain impartial.

Several members of staff from closure-threatened council buildings across the borough spoke of their concerns at a public meeting on the proposals at Woodchurch Leisure Centre on Friday.

Wirral Council told the News staff were free to sign or organise petitions outside work hours - but acknowledged workers had been told to decline petition requests from worried members of the public.

One woman working at a leisure centre, who asked not to be named, said: “The managers all came out the other week and told us that we’re not allowed to do petitions or speak to the press and they’ll come down hard on anyone who does. The way it’s come across has been quite intimidating.

“They don’t want petitions in the libraries or the sports centres but where else are the people who would be affected by this going to sign them?

“Apparently it came up at a managers’ meeting and afterwards we were all told we must stay impartial.

“How can you say that to people who might lose their jobs?”

More than 50 members of the public attended Friday’s heated meeting, which saw Woodchurch residents imploring politicians who attended - included Upton councillors Tom Anderson and Tony Smith, Wirral West MP Stephen Hesford and Esther McVey, Conservative candidate for Wirral West at the next General Election - to work together to keep the centre open.

A spokesman for Wirral Council said: “Employees are fully entitled to protest and make comment on any proposals which affect them. They can do this through the council’s normal consultative arrangements, either through trade union representatives or directly at staff briefings/consultative events. They can also raise any concerns with their immediate line manager.

“The council does not oppose staff signing or organising petitions or attending organised protests, however it does require that any of this activity is conducted outside of their working hours.

“Staff have been advised that they should decline any requests via a member of the public to conduct or leave a petition on council premises, for instance at reception desks or in One Stop Shops.”
thats wrong that they should have there freedom of speech atleast thats well out of order i totaly disagree somad
comes and tell steve foulkes - he lives just round the corner from me...
Originally Posted by MissGuided
comes and tell steve foulkes - he lives just round the corner from me...

how is mr foulkes these i aint seen him for years im very doubtfull he will remember me or my name no
haven't seen him in the flesh for some time though my dad tells me he is nothing like the rosy-faced publicity photo they use in the local rags lol
that is very true he is so down to earth its unreal and for a councellor i did expect that from him if ya get me
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Special Area Forum Conferences - 5th Jan 2009 7:10am

SPECIAL AREA FORUM CONFERENCES

Remember the Special Area Forum Conferences start tonight (tonight at The Lauries Centre, tomorrow at Hulme Hall, Wednesday at West Kirby Concourse and Thursday at the Floral Pavilion).

All conferences start at 7.00 p.m. and should finish by 9.00 p.m.

Doors open at 6.30 p.m.

BE EARLY - THE COUNCIL INTENDS TO USE HEALTH AND SAFETY REGULATIONS TO RESTRICT ACCESS TO THE CONFERENCES.

SAVE OUR LIBRARIES!!!!

Posted By: Anonymous march organised over Wirral library - 6th Jan 2009 7:14pm
Protest march organised over Wirral library and leisure closures

TWO protests against the proposed closure of libraries and sports centres in Wirral are taking place this week.

The first is from Woodchurch Leisure Centre on Wednesday (January 7), where residents and staff will gather for a march to West Kirby Concourse.

Members of the public are asked to gather outside the centre at 3.45, ready to depart at 4pm. A bus will be available for the elderly.

The march will coincide with an area forum organised to discuss Wirral Council's controversial strategic asset review, which starts at West Kirby Concourse at 7pm.

A second protest organised by the TGWU is scheduled for Saturday at Wallasey Town Hall, starting at 11.30am.
Posted By: Anonymous Protest march will start from different venue - 7th Jan 2009 3:28pm
A MARCH planned for this evening. on the proposed closure of libraries will start from Black Horse Hill at 5.45pm, ending at the Concourse in Grange Road, West Kirby.

It had originally been due to start outside Woodchurch Leisure Centre.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Protest march will start from different venue - 11th Jan 2009 2:10pm
Council leader is warned culture proposals would "rip the heart" out of Wirral communities

EIGHT HUNDRED protesters filled West Kirby Concourse on Wednesday night (January 7) to challenge council proposals to close libraries and sports centres.

Crowds of angry residents, including children, travelled from Woodchurch holding up banners to defend their leisure centre, which would be among those shut if the plans are approved.

The group took over the third question and answer forum, chaired by council leader Steve Foulkes, with passionate pleas not to “rip the heart out” of their community.

If Wirral Borough Council’s radical shake-up to Wirral leisure and cultural services goes ahead Woodchurch Leisure Centre’s services could be made redundant with that of Guinea Gap Baths and Grange Road West.

The proposals would also see 14 of Wirral’s 24 libraries, including Hoylake Library, two museums, one theatre, “transfer” 20 village halls and community halls into the hands of unpaid volunteers and close a host of smaller council offices.

The closures and transfers would save the council £3.7m annually and £12.4m over the next 10 years.

A member of the crowd said: “You keep talking about your financial obligations, what about your moral obligations?”

Another resident called for the resignation of all council leaders, and the room rose to its feet chanting “out, out, out,” to the meeting’s panel.

Many said they were concerned the plans would widen class divides, increase anti-social behaviour, make people prisoners in their own homes, increase obesity and take opportunities away from the young.

One mother, whose children attend Judo and swimming classes at Woodchurch Leisure Centre, said: “Could you please tell my children why they can’t go to Judo classes any more? They are going to be heartbroken.”

Another speaker added: “It’s ironic that this Strategic Asset Review, which will reduce our leisure services, is taking place the same week the government has launched its “Change for Life” campaign, urging us to keep fit.”

Cllr Foulkes struggled at times to be heard over the furore but maintained that no decisions had been made yet.

He said: “I’m between a rock and a very hard place.

“We need to make revenue savings on a significant level - if we don’t reduce our costs in this way then we will have to find another.”

Director of Regeneration, Alan Stennard, said: “We want to create fewer but better services.

“The services that we cannot keep may be transferred over to community management which would then be supported by a new government initiative called Advancing Assets for Communities - so not all these facilities could be lost.”

Conservative councillor Gerry Ellis expressed concern that the meeting had been dominated by debate over the future of Woodchurch Leisure Centre and had not addressed the issues in his ward.

He said: “I think there should have been a separate meeting in Upton for these people.

“I am here to protest over the closure of Hoylake Library.

“Instead of cutting the people’s services we should be cutting some of the council’s senior management figures out.”

Public consultation ends on January 15.
Posted By: Bodkin Re: Protest march will start from different venue - 12th Jan 2009 3:39pm
There is a demonstration this evening from 3.30pm onwards outside Hoylake library for all those who would like to show their support for the campaign against it's closure
WIRRAL Council's director of regeneration Alan Stennard has admitted he doesn't use the borough's libraries.

There were gasps from the audience at Hulme Hall in Port Sunlight on Tuesday as Mr Stennard made the confession.

The conference centre was the venue for the second of four special area forums to discuss the council's Strategic Asset Review, which could see 14 libraries and three sports centres closed.

Responding to a question from a member of the public about which library he used, Mr Stennard said: "I don't use the libraries."

Council leader Steve Foulkes was quick to defend Mr Stennard, saying: "If you ask the majority of our population you would receive the same answer."

Posted By: Anonymous Birkenhead Central Library and Pacific Road saved - 21st Jan 2009 2:36pm
Birkenhead Central Library and Pacific Road saved from axe

BIRKENHEAD Central Library will not be closing, while Pacific Road Theatre should have a viable future but without any public subsidy.

Hundreds of Wirral residents packed into Wallasey Town Hall last Thursday, to hear council leader Cllr Steve Foulkes deliver his cabinet’s verdict on the strategic asset review and subsequent public consultation.

The Labour leader told those assembled, “I hope you believe the consultation has been genuine”, after the heavy peninsula wide closures initially proposed were altered.

Cllr Foulkes said Birkenhead Central Library will “remain open in its current building, which will be maintained as required”, while Upton Library also avoided the axe.

Birkenhead and Tranmere Cllr Phil Davies said: “There really was never any suggestion to demolish that building, because we know how much it is loved and valued within Birkenhead.

“Even if we did relocate the library to another building, we would certainly, given the historic importance of that building, look for an alternative use.”

But the news wasn’t so good for Beechwood, Prenton and Ridgeway libraries, all of which will close as originally proposed.

Prenton Cllr Ann Bridson said a tough decision was made between keeping Woodchurch Leisure Centre, used by ward residents, and the library.

Cllr Bridson told the News: “We could possibly maintain the library, but it would not be run by the library service.”

Cllr Foulkes told the meeting several “expressions of interest” have been made regarding Pacific Road Theatre, which should allow it to continue.

Wirral Museum will close but a new sustainable use will be found for the former Birkenhead Town Hall, “to secure the future of this iconic building”, while Wirral Transport Museum will be transferred to a community development trust.

Grange Road West Sports Centre will also “be considered” for community ownership.

the wirral news
© Wirral-Wikiwirral