Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Covenant poses new threat to New Brighton developm - 28th Aug 2008 11:45pm
A CONTROVERSIAL regeneration scheme in New Brighton has been threatened with legal action based on a 75-year-old covenant.

The £75m redevelopment of New Brighton by Neptune Developments has a long history of clashes with part of the community.

Following a public inquiry in 2006 which saw the developers lose out, the regeneration plan appeared to have been reborn with a revamped scheme.

However, last week it was revealed that a group of residents are bidding to block proposals for a new spa and health centre at the heart of commercial development works on the promenade.

Outline planning permission has been granted for the new redevelopment scheme, which still features a supermarket along with bars, restaurants, a hotel and health spa with outdoor pool.

Work on the first phase – the rebuilding of the Floral Pavilion Theatre – is nearing completion.

But members of the Wellington Road conservation area committee say plans by Wirral Council to build the new leisure facility will seriously impact on the sea views of a conservation area.

They say that, 75 years ago, the local authority agreed covenants to restrict future development in New Brighton.

Lawyers at Kirwans Solicitors, acting for the group, have warned they may seek an injunction on future building work as they seek to uphold the 1933 agreement that saw a stretch of land given to the local authority in return for a binding agreement that the land could not be used for unsuitable purposes, including any obstruction of sea views.

Simon Lomas, from the Wellington Road group, said: “Our voices must be heard on this issue and we will fight these proposals within the full spectrum of the law. The council cannot choose to ignore a standing agreement and ride roughshod over residents.”

A spokeswoman for Wirral Council said: “We have received communication from Kirwans Solicitors. We have already responded to them directly, making it clear that we believe there is absolutely no case.”

the word ooooooopppppssss comes to mind me thinks think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Covenant poses new threat to New Brighton developm - 28th Aug 2008 11:50pm
maybe
You know something to come to think of it.. Is it the moaning residents of New Brighton stopping it to be returned to its former glory.. Was the fire in the Tower buildings set alight on purpose and made to look like an electrical fault ?? Only god knows (if he exsits) ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Covenant poses new threat to New Brighton developm - 29th Aug 2008 10:12am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Was the fire in the Tower buildings set alight on purpose and made to look like an electrical fault ?? Only god knows (if he exsits) ?

me dad has always said it was an an inside job wink
Maybe the residents of New Brighton like the 'run-down' look.

The term 'one-eyed' springs to mind when I think of New Brighton.
I live in New Brighton and have to say that I welcome the new development!!

It seems to me that the only people that object are the old school and those who think that their house prices will fall if they lose their sea views. Selfish attitude to have really as it impacts on the rest of us (I'll keep my sea view no matter what lol)

If Kirwans actually contacted ALL the residents of New Brighton, then in my eyes they would have every right to rely on the Covenant. However, I will be looking into whether the Covenant can itself be challenged (I hated property and land law).

New Brighton needs to be brought kicking and screaming into this millenium. As much as I adore the Art Deco buildings, I do quite like the new buildings too.

Part of me thinks they should have used some of the money to refit the original Pavillion as it was a stunning building, but they haven't so bring on the new I say!!

Sorry Jay I just thought about how idiotic my statement was. I hope I haven't offended.
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Sorry Jay I just thought about how idiotic my statement was. I hope I haven't offended.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion honey, and I have to agree with you, some residents obviously DO prefer the run down look!!

Never worry about offending doll, if we were all the same it would be a pretty boring world thumbsup

bananalove
I was just making sure I hadn't caused bad feeling with my sweeping statement.
No worries honey happy I'm pretty thick skinned. It's not my birthplace anyway raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Covenant poses new threat to New Brighton developm - 29th Aug 2008 9:23pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay

New Brighton needs to be brought kicking and screaming into this millenium. As much as I adore the Art Deco buildings, I do quite like the new buildings too.

withstupid grin
I'd be glad to never see a supermarket standing anywhere near this place. It's so nice and quiet of a night time, it's pretty much the only place on the Wirral where you can walk the dog along the seafront. There's too many s/markets tbh, don't need another.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral