Forums
Posted By: Pomp Officers tracked with computers - 19th Jul 2008 3:38pm
Originally Posted by BBC
Officers policing Merseyside are being tracked by global positioning equipment at the force's headquarters.

The equipment is being used for the first time by a UK force as the area hosts the Open golf at Birkdale and the Tall Ships event in Liverpool.

Signals from transponders carried by officers and vehicles enable commanders to track staff.

Merseyside police said it "will greatly enhance the force's ability to protect the public and its officers".

The force's aim was "respond quickly and efficiently to any incidents" by knowing exactly where each officer or patrol was located.

The equipment can also be developed to be attached to police dog collars.

Assistant Chief Constable Simon Byrne, said: "We are constantly striving to find new and innovative ways to fight the Total War on Crime.

"We will evaluate the effectiveness of this trial by looking at improvements in the way we deploy our officers to incidents and, if successful, we will consider extending the technology further into our organisation."

The same technology was used successfully during the Euro 2008 Championships and for the last three years at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

[Linked Image]

BBC Website

Posted By: fessy_johno Re: Officers tracked with computers - 20th Jul 2008 9:53am
sounds ermm... fun lol at least its better if ur in an accident or gettin attacked:)
Posted By: DavidB Re: Officers tracked with computers - 20th Jul 2008 11:17am
They'll be tracked to either:

a) in the office,
b) in Asda picking up smackhead shoplifters,
c) in someone's house, interviewing the mother of a smackhead thief,
c) hiding sneakily on the sliproad/layby on the M53.

I could've done that with google maps. frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Officers tracked with computers - 20th Jul 2008 11:43am
withstupid happy
Posted By: hoseman Re: Officers tracked with computers - 20th Jul 2008 2:06pm
Christ, thats gonna scare the crap outta them now! I can just imagine them breaking into a sweat just thinking about catching criminals!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Officers tracked with computers - 20th Jul 2008 5:37pm
Might stop them spending half their time in Maccies lol.
Posted By: fessy_johno Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 9:23am
Might stop them spending half their time in Maccies lol

hey!! ders nothin wrong wiv maccies!! laugh
Posted By: Waddi Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 11:09am
I can see a flaw in the plan tho;

how long till someone manages to tap into the system, then they have access to know where all the police are at a certain time making it easy pickings to commit a crime without fear of being caught.

example, say for instance that you could hack a SAT NAV to run software that would show where the coppers where. then you could look at the sat nav, see there wasnt a copper, well atleast a cop car within say a 30minute radius, so you know you have atleast 30mins to carry out a crime, whether it be illegal parking, street racing or something more sinister such as murder or rape.

would this be possible, come on Matty get hacking it.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 11:57am
Originally Posted by WADDI
something more sinister such as murder or rape.

what you planning Waddi??
Posted By: Waddi Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 12:01pm
Not me.....

I just meant that there could be a serious safety risk to the public.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 1:05pm
"I just meant that there could be a serious safety risk to the public. "

I think that this, if done properly, will be no less of a risk than equipping every officer with a radio that shouts out over the airwaves - I'm here!

If criminals are sophisticated enough to hack this computer system they will of been clever enough to use the current radios to track officers.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 7:13pm
It could be like GTA 4, where you could see the police on your radar and the area they are looking
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 8:10pm
Er lads..hate to break it to. you all.the system didnt get implemented. Problems with volumes of data etc...
We have got gps in the cars...so they know full well where everyone is...and they can do a GPS trace on your radio if you are in the mire...but needs all sorts of authorisation.
And no isnt isnt usually in maccies...or ASDA...
I might have being sneaky on the M53.... raftl
Or gatecrashing parties... wink
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Officers tracked with computers - 29th Jul 2008 11:32pm
you really do take some things too seriously auditastic smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Officers tracked with computers - 30th Jul 2008 7:59am
Originally Posted by Auditastic

I might have being sneaky on the M53..

its youuuuuuu!

I see parked up between eastham & clatterbridge?
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Officers tracked with computers - 30th Jul 2008 1:01pm
or gate crashing official meets wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral