Forums
Posted By: Pomp Store closes before flagship move - 27th May 2008 3:23am
One of the best-known stores in Liverpool city centre is closing its doors for the final time.

John Lewis, formerly known as George Henry Lee, is moving to a new flagship store on South John Street as part of the Liverpool One development.

It means the store on Basnett Street, where the company has traded for 60 years, will close on Monday.

The first phase of the £1bn Liverpool One retail development is opening on Thursday morning.

An army of staff will be involved in moving stock and other items to the new store on Tuesday and Wednesday before the opening.

Margaret Jacques, managing director of John Lewis in Liverpool, said the move was being planned like a "military operation".

The new John Lewis store is the biggest outside London and is one of the flagship developments of Liverpool One.

The development features shops, bars and hotels and centres on a 42-acre site near the city's Paradise Street.

Its official grand opening, when all of the units will be open, is taking place in September.

BBC website

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Store closes before flagship move - 27th May 2008 10:02am
That's sad news that the Lewis's we all know is closing. Lewis's was were I went on my very first escalator when I was a little lad. Exciting stuff then! The toy dept. (all the Meccano, Hornby Dublo trains etc.) were on the 5th (?) floor. I think Father Christmas lurked up there too. Used to pester the hell out my Mum to go up there first.

MMmmmmm... Progress I suppose ??
Posted By: Waddi Re: Store closes before flagship move - 27th May 2008 9:38pm
John Lewis and Lewis's are different stores, so is Lewis's closing aswell, I know they had all that trouble but I thought they had been bought out and re-opened.
Posted By: chiccy Re: Store closes before flagship move - 27th May 2008 9:40pm
i hate change!!!

mind u havent shopped in livepool in yrs tho so spose dont affect me haha x
Posted By: chriskay Re: Store closes before flagship move - 27th May 2008 10:20pm
I remember George Henry Lee's; a very posh shop as I remember. Wasn't Lewis's on the corner of Renshaw St. & Ranelagh St.? The store celebrated in the song "In my Liverpool Home"
"We speak with an accent exceedingly rare,
Stand under a statue exceedingly bare,
If you want a cathedral we've got one to spare,
In my Liverpool home."
© Wirral-Wikiwirral