Forums
Posted By: Andy_U New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:18am
Back in October last year, there were reports of ASDA building a new store in Birkenhead ( round the corner from my house ! ), starting early this year. Since then - Nothing.
Does anyone know what's happening to this ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:22am
The only new ASDA planned that I know of locally, is for Wirral Waters, which will be opened in the next few year's in the Wallasey docks area.

Other then that, the only big "proposed" supermarket development I know of is the relocation of Bidston Moss Tesco Extra to Claughton.

It's unlikely that ASDA would be able to get planning permission for another major store in the area.

I think Tesco proposed opening a normal Tesco store in Birkenhead town centre, dunno whether it got rejected though??

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:13am
werent they planning to knock some shops down in town, from the abbey up to maccies. that was the asda plans I saw.
Posted By: Waddi Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:16am
Habe a looksie here
Posted By: Waddi Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:21am
official plans on the council planning permission website
Posted By: Waddi Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:24am
here
and
here
Posted By: AR_One Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 9:23am
This is a really good thing - having a big supermarket in the centre of town will mean that people will go there for their food shopping and then go to the other shops in town for non-food items. They're doing some car-parking too - all we need now is a free bus there from differant parts of town.

Matt I think that Tesco is opening a little "Metro" in Claughton but I'm pretty sure that the big one isn't moving as they're spending cash on it at the moment with a new Petrol station and photo lab. Whilst we're talking about new supermarkets we shouldn't forget Morrisons being built in New Brighton.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 10:13am
Maybe thats what that retail building is going to be where the old petrol station used to be in Claughton Village.

In the Birkenhead News the other week, no-one knew what it was going to be except some sort of "retail outlet"
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 10:14am
Originally Posted by AR_One
Whilst we're talking about new supermarkets we shouldn't forget Morrisons being built in New Brighton.

Tell me about it, Right behind my house haha raftl

On that note, I've heard people say they are taking the marine lake out to build a car park cause the one they have down the front now gets rammed anyways so when the new Morrisons is done people will be parking in my front room haha raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 10:38am
Originally Posted by AR_One
Matt I think that Tesco is opening a little "Metro" in Claughton but I'm pretty sure that the big one isn't moving as they're spending cash on it at the moment with a new Petrol station and photo lab. Whilst we're talking about new supermarkets we shouldn't forget Morrisons being built in New Brighton.

The petrol station was shut down by health and saftey matey, they we're actually trying to avoid spending money on it, but the tanks needed re-lining and they we're forced to close it.

I have heard a few report's around the net etc that the Bidston one is considered "too small" by Tesco to serve the needs of local people and they have very limited expansion options now. I fail to understand where a new one would go in Claughton, but this is what I have heard on a few occasions. There is also reference to this on Wikipedia.

The other future problem they have at Bidston is the development of Wirral Water's, which will be just around the corner from it, and have an even bigger and possibly more customer-friendly ASDA supermarket.

I believe the proof of whether they are staying in Bidston Moss or not, will be whether or not they decide to go ahead with their proposed multi-storey car park there.

Personally, I would hate it to be closed, because it is the perfect location for me.
Posted By: Mark Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 10:56am
Ive heard the one in claughton near you joe is a Tesco's Express this is why the Co-op has a petition on the go.

Jonno was telling me wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 11:08am
Co-op are just scared of competition lol.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 12:50pm
I hope its going to be a Tescos Express as the Co-op and the Spar are crap.

Hope it will be open 24 hours as I forget to buy milk til about 1am lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 12:54pm
Tesco Express are shite too tbh... but they do keep the same prices on basic goods the same as the proper Tesco supermarket's, which helps competition.

Tesco Express usually dont go for 24 hour trading licenses, due to lack of custom and so they can obtain upto an 18 hour Sunday trading license.

It would be highly unlikely for a Tesco Express in and around the Bidston Tesco Extra catchment area to become 24 hours. Plus its better in some way's to have an 8 - 11 license, as the Tesco Extra in Bidston Moss(under current licensing laws) is forced to restrict Sunday opening hours to just 6 hour's, whereas the Tesco Express down the road in Moreton is open 8 - 11 on a Sunday, which is very handy.
Posted By: AR_One Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:31pm
Whilst we're talking about supermarket developments:

1. Saisbury's have an app in (http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/plansthumbs.asp?appnum=20077558&wanted=Plans) for some general tidying up at the Prenton store - there's also something called "PFS" works going to be built in the back car park but I can't see what that is?

2. One of the discount boys (think it's LIDL) is sounding out the idea of building a store in Hoylake on the Shell petrol station
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:33pm
Do you mean the BP on the Meols Stretch? I dont know of any Shell there now.

Only one actually in Hoylake is the Total iirc.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:47pm
tesco extra's are the only 24hr ones as far as i'm aware, express arent usually very big, and the metro stores are literally the size of ur average co-op store, mainly for gettin a few bits..

here in perth we have a tesco extra a tesco express and a tesco metro

tesco extra is by far the busier of the 3... the express store is on the opposite side of the town, pretty big as well but located in a quieter area... aand the tesco metro is bang in the town centre.. gf sometimes goes in there for the likes of sandwiches for lunch and just a quick in and out job
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:49pm
Tesco is the standard format.

Tesco Metro is usually the inner-city brand, for groceries only.

Tesco Extra is just larger Tesco Stores, but stocking a larger range of things, included clothes and electricals, as well as trying to be a mini "shopping centre" instead of just a supermarket.

Tesco Express is mini-Tesco stores.

One Stop are their version of local stores designed to compete with the likes of Spar and Londis etc.

Tesco Homeplus is solely for non-grocery items like white goods and electricals, clothes etc...

There might be others, but I dunno about them lol.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:51pm
the extra stores also sell things like clothes and often him a pharmacy and opticians now tease
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:52pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
the extra stores also sell things like clothes and often him a pharmacy and opticians now tease

Yes, the Extra's were originally defined as "over a certain size" but now most have been refurbished and enlargened to become mini shopping centres instead of merely supermarkets.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:53pm
u see that program the other week about them over in america with the name fresh and easy? tesco is pretty much everywhere... also saw one about their dirty tactics for future building plans (ie: buying a road - the only viable one to get into a store that had been built - so no competitors would bother buying the land to build their own stores on as there wouldnt be an access road? or something along those lines... mad lol)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:56pm
Lol... I seen it but knew about it ages ago. Tesco is a massive brand in eastern Europe and even in the Middle East.

They are getting closer and closer to the size of Wal Mart and Carrefoure, but I feel their strategy in the US is a bit odd, as people over there are used to stores like 5x larger then our biggest Tesco Extra stores here in the UK, whereas they are launching small local stores over there.

I dont personally thing it will work, but then its not costing them too much to risk it, so nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:57pm
lol isnt like they havent got the daft profits to back it up.. they will probably try and side with a bigger market over there to compete with the likes of wal mart to help get their foot in...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 1:59pm
Mind you they did say on that report, they were opening the stores in area's where all others had moved out due to social problems and there was a massive market for local supermarkets...

So I may be wrong with my idea's and it could well be even more successful in terms or ratio'd profit then even their UK operations!!

smile
Posted By: placidmaster Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:17pm
but the most important thing is will it have a roof car park and ramp???
Posted By: chiccy Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:35pm
asda bromborough is having a refurb... there gettin an upstairs an creating 80 new jobs...the upstairs will be were the george/electrical mucic sefction is now
Posted By: placidmaster Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:36pm
chiccy, just the person. Is the american cab still in that complex thing at Bromborough
Posted By: chiccy Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:41pm
nope hun it isnt haha i used to work in the diner right opposite that cab haha!!!
Posted By: peodude Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:46pm
For the Sainsburys in Prenton, they are moving the petrol station over to the where the overflow car park is now
Posted By: placidmaster Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 2:50pm
i used to love that, why did it go??
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 4:43pm
went yrs ago lol
Posted By: Andy_U Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 4:46pm
I can't wait for the ASDA to open in Birkenhead - I can't stand Netto.
It'll be SO convenient for me !
But does anyone have any idea when the building work will start ?
42,000 sq ft sounds big, but how does that compare to the Woodchurch Asda or the Bromboruogh Asda ?
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 4:48pm
Originally Posted by Andy_U
But does anyone have any idea when the building work will start ?
42,000 sq ft sounds big, but how does that compare to the Woodchurch Asda or the Bromboruogh Asda ?

Don't forget the wallasey Asda tease
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:07pm
Originally Posted by peodude
For the Sainsburys in Prenton, they are moving the petrol station over to the where the overflow car park is now

Ahh so thats what they're doing. Wondered what they were building
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: New ASDA in Birkenhead ?? - 10th Mar 2008 6:09pm
The Sainsburys petrol station in Prenton is a pain in the ass, First time i went to it i got lost as you have to go round the back of it to get into it haha.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral