Forums
Posted By: keefy Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 8:48pm

The blue crane down rock ferry? I've been doing some research on it. But I can't find much, except this.

http://icwirral.icnetwork.co.uk/news/regional/tm_method=full%26objectid=16268402%26siteid=80898-name_page.html
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:18pm
I know nothing about it. Sorry frown
Posted By: Mark Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:31pm
Nope me neither...
Posted By: keefy Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:32pm
Do you guys know which one I mean? The big one in the river next to the Tranmere oil terminal.
Posted By: Mark Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:35pm
Ive never seen it, so i don't have a clue.
I'm at the other end of the wirral.
Posted By: keefy Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:43pm
All the kids around my area used to climb it when I was young. But I never found out why it was there, although I heard lightning struck it and a drunk captain on a ship sailed a ship into it. I don't know if either are true or if they were just rumors.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 9:55pm
Probably rumours?

Has it been dismantled now?

That article says the coroner said:
"There is no evidence he jumped from the crane and I also cannot conclude if it was accidental or not.
"But I can see no logical reason why access to the crane and jetty should not be permanently disabled.
"It serves no useful purpose and therefore it should be dismantled."
Posted By: keefy Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 7th Jan 2008 10:05pm
It still stands out in the river to this day. People were screaming for it to be pulled down. Funny how the council managed to get the cammell lairds cranes down at the same time but left this one up!
Posted By: AR_One Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 8th Jan 2008 9:34am
This is by where the boats for the yacht club are moored isn't it?

I find it slightly sad that we feel we must remove something because it may be misused by people rather than educating people not to misuse it - but that's a whole differant discussion!

Would anyone know if there's any plans to rennovate the prom down there as Rock Park used to be one of the classiest areas in the whole of the Wirral (honest!) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_ferry
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 8th Jan 2008 9:45am
Bedford Rd East is the road that leads to the old terminal.

The bit that shocked me a little was:

"At the end of the crane there's a tyre that swings 120 feet in the air over the Mersey and kids as young as seven are playing out there."

Dont their parents know where they are?!!?!

....but at the end of the cay, where do you draw the line? Close the motorways because people want to cross them?

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 8th Jan 2008 2:08pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

"At the end of the crane there's a tyre that swings 120 feet in the air over the Mersey and kids as young as seven are playing out there."

....but at the end of the cay, where do you draw the line? Close the motorways because people want to cross them?

I totally agree with this smile
Posted By: keefy Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 8th Jan 2008 5:13pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

Yeah you are correct, the crane sits at the end of the oil terminals jetty. It has been disused for at least twenty six years (I know this because it has never been used in my life time.) The main reason I was interested in this place was I used to walk down that jetty when I was about 12. The main reason I used to go down there was because there was never really any effort to block the place off.
I know I was daft for doing it but when your young you don't realize the dangers involved in such an adventure.
This crane sprung to mind when I started looking at the urban exploration on this site and thought it may be of interest to you guys if I were to do a little more research on the place and take some photography on the place. Although I have been browsing through site after site, I don't seem to be able to find anything about this place. Its almost as if its a ghost stood in the Mersey!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 8th Jan 2008 6:32pm
I'd be interested in knowing more about it smile
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 9th Jan 2008 3:17pm
lol...having read the article i instantly thought id be tempted to jump from a crane if I had to spend a week in rhyl with my pregnant teenage girlfriend...

but then i realised thats a totally inappropriate thought process!

Apologies!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 9th Jan 2008 3:28pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
lol...having read the article i instantly thought id be tempted to jump from a crane if I had to spend a week in rhyl with my pregnant teenage girlfriend...

raftl When you put it like that, I think one or the other would have done it for me, never mind the combination of the two raftl
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 9th Jan 2008 4:08pm
lol..so its not only me with the deviant sense of humour then!
Posted By: jonah Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 9th Jan 2008 4:15pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
lol..so its not only me with the deviant sense of humour then!

doh shifty you have a very warped sense of humour, must be why you are so popular on here ! lol
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 9th Jan 2008 6:04pm
I have seen that tyre swing, and an old mate of mine was neighbours with the lad that fell of it.

It is easy to see from rock ferry
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 10th Jan 2008 12:32am
the first pic is basically of the jetty in question, it's kinda difficult to make it from above so have labelled the picture...

the 2nd one is just for anyone wanting to check it out and doesnt know how to get to it, there are loads of ways to get to it but i would say this is the easiest to follow, there's a "car park" outside the admiral pub for anyone driving to it

Attached picture crane.JPG
Attached picture guide.JPG
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 10th Jan 2008 6:50pm
(In best old man voice)

I live by there, bloody death trap if you ask me
Posted By: keefy Re: Do you guys know much about this? - 11th Jan 2008 5:36pm

Well said Dazzz. I walked down there one day when I was younger. The place was a lot safer then than it is now. I still fell through one of the wooden beams on the jetty. The board, which was a good foot thick was that rotten that when I stood on it, it just snapped in half. Lucky that I managed to catch myself or I probably would have been washed ashore in New Brighton or Rhyl or somewhere!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral