Forums
Posted By: Mark pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 6:35pm
Originally Posted by globe
BEING forced to pay £100 to park outside your own home is causing a furious backlash.

The council is next month rolling out residential parking schemes set to hit drivers in the pocket.

And from it, the town hall will rake in an instant £210,000 with more than £21,000 a year coming in from annual permit costs.

The aim is to target roads that are busy with visitor's parking which cause access problems for householders living in the area.

But the news comes at a £110 price for residents who are angered by the charge. more.. > > > > >

Even thought i don't live in West Kirby could this be the
new tactics of the new council?

If this goes ahead i can see this spreading closer to
the centre of Birkenhead.

So if the threat of Congestion charge inst enough
lets get you to park out side your own home.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 6:44pm
If it makes good management of residential parking only, then I'm all for it.

Yes it may be a £100 one off fee, then £10 a month thereafter, but I wouldn't mind paying that if it means the parking space outside my house is reserved for my car and not some random person doing a quick shop in the co-op, picing up a video from the video shop or just putting on a bet or the lottery.

I get really p*ssed about the parking outside my house, absoloute nightmare, and I'm sure in the summer especially, residents of West Kirby feel the same way.

But all the money should go towards more areas of free designated parking areas as this is very much needed around the wirral. It also gives people a place to dori tease haha
Posted By: Mark Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 7:17pm
I'm surprised joe?

Originally Posted by someone
"The proposed residential parking scheme runs from 8am until 6pm, during which I am at work anyway, so why should I be out of pocket?"

Its £10 per year joe, after the £100 outlay.
This is per car not per home.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 7:27pm
Yeah, I only have 1 car so thats not a problem.

I think I'm suprised too, but I just get so annoyed with parking.

And as for the times of operation, from 8am until 6pm, they're the best, as the worst time to park outside my house is when I come home from work - never any spaces mad
After 6pm, I never struggle to find a space.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 9:33pm
this is interesting joe to see it from the other side of the coin, but joe,,,, the law should be enforced so that people can t park out side your house and you still get to park there for free, i feel sorry for those who will have to pay, ive said it before and i ll say it again, this contry is shit, we need a revolution, heads must roll !
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 9:54pm
haha such a great idea - head must roll indeed!

I agree, I would prefer it to be enforced so that people cant park outside my house at no cost to me, but lets face it....is it really going to happen?

I think it's because I'm so p*ssed off with it, I'm willing to pay whatever to make the change.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 9:55pm
The only reason it bothers me is im one of these people who park outside peoples houses when I visit West Kirby and the like.

However, I do tend to park in places where there is plenty is space available for residents. Mind you I tend to visit West Kirby when most people are in work anyway.

I think £100 and £10 a month to guarantee a reserved parking space for your car is a good price to pay. Most of the people in West Kirby are minted anyway they prob could afford a lot more.

The extra cost will more then likely go towards deploying more traffic wardens in the area's to enforce the parking restrictions, rather then in the councils pockets.

Everything costs in this day and age, if they dont account for it seperatly, it will be accounted into peoples council taxes, many of whom dont have cars and shouldnt have to pay for it.

So all in all its a fair scheme. Although it should be a lot lower the fee should be a straight £10.00 per month to residents only rather then an upfront fee.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 9:57pm
Originally Posted by MattyC

I think £100 and £10 a month to guarantee a reserved parking space for your car is a good price to pay. Most of the people in West Kirby are minted anyway they prob could afford a lot more.

So all in all its a fair scheme. Although it should be a lot lower the fee should be a straight £10.00 per month to residents only rather then an upfront fee.

yes thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 10:42pm
[Linked Image]

Probably a fiver.

Or nick one from the nearest road works.

Originally Posted by sanchez
the law should be enforced so that people can t park out side your house and you still get to park there for free

I'm with Andy on this one.

don't we pay enough council tax?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 10:47pm
omg haha well done mark, I gots to get myself a set of them!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 9th May 2007 10:49pm
But then you ask the question, should people who dont have cars or have private driveways, pay the same level of council tax as drivers who want more enforcements so they can park outside their house??

It seems the fairer option to make the people that want these enforcements and always complain to the council about such things pay for the extra manpower it will take to actually do it.

I dont want to be paying to subsidise the next streets parking enforcements, when it doesnt affect me as I have a choice of 3 private car parks to park in. (Okay so they have little enforcement too [unless like me you try keeping 3 cars parked in one car park, ye get bitched at by the security lol] but it isnt required as theres usually spaces available).

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pay to park 'rip-off - West Kirby - 14th May 2007 7:33pm
well i live in a residents only and they want to do this in are road all ov the residents DO NOT WANT IT. i have bin to court 8 times for parking outside my houes WITH A PERMIT so whats with the 655 fine. other residents have had the same crap and in the letter we all got said we all may have to pay £100 to park in your road it dont guaranted you to park outside your own home its a big rip off. and all so when famley frends come they get fined to it is a joke
© Wirral-Wikiwirral