Forums
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Front mounted intercooler - 3rd May 2005 11:13pm
i want to get a big front mounted intercooler for my car, can i get any intercooler and just adapt the hoses.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Front mounted intercooler - 3rd May 2005 11:20pm
Yes, but its not that easy. Ask Stewy Mac smack

I have been looking at this one for my car :

Greddy Front Mount Intercooler FMIC Subaru Impreza Classic

The addition of a GReddy intercooler is an excellent way of safely increasing horsepower. By reducing the engine's inlet temperatures, a denser air charge will enter the engine; this will make more power at the same boost level. Our vehicle specific kits include all the necessary mounts, piping and hoses required to install the kit. All kits are designed to give maximum cooling capacity while allowing for minimal pressure drops. This is achieved by properly sizing the core and tuning the internal core with either a V-spec. core or with a different inner fin pattern in the R-spec core. All cores are an air-to-air, tube and fin design that does not require any specialized liquid plumbing. The end of the cores are capped off with our smooth flowing heavy-duty cast aluminum endtanks.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: John WRX Re: Front mounted intercooler - 3rd May 2005 11:29pm
Very cheap now compared to what they were a year or so back.
Bit of a ball ache fitting them to the scooby, need to hack away half the front bumper and more than likely lose you fogs mate.
Adds more lag as you got a bigger length of pipework and intercooler to pressurise first but will keep things cooler and running better
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Re: Front mounted intercooler - 4th May 2005 12:41am
would this fit mine aswell, is it worth putting a different intercooler on
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Front mounted intercooler - 4th May 2005 8:54am
Jim, your car already has a front mounted cooler smile

Find one from a truck of similar size (But thicker) with the same inlet and outlet pipe positions, and make it fit smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Front mounted intercooler - 5th May 2005 1:01am
I've heard the Frontera's have pretty large intercoolers, they're 8.1 litres, and they're cheap an in abundance.

If you want to check if your IC is up to it, you just compare the fahrenheit temperature going into the IC (the 'approach') and the temp coming out. It should be less than double (preferably), the amount of the cold stuff you can get in will affect the hp substantially.
Posted By: grizz Re: Front mounted intercooler - 8th May 2005 7:27pm
A f m i c can make you a lot of power , on the twin turbo s4's like mine they can give 35bhp !!! Only problem is they cost £1500 . I think that you will have a plastic 1 fitted , even if you change it for a alloy 1 you will find a big improvement . G
© Wirral-Wikiwirral