Forums
Posted By: xcorix cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 10:32pm
i need a new cam belt asap ne one know of newhere good and cheap i can get it done in the next week or so

also my car has much less power than it normaly does (and that aint much) im hopin this is down to the cam belt bein on the way out ne 1 know ne better if so tell me nicley i hate the car enuf for its problems frown
Posted By: GazzA Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 10:39pm
Use Opti-max :lol:
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 10:42pm
lodsa help tease
Posted By: Gary Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:05pm
i thought if your cambelt goes then it goes, no way of tellin wether its on its way or not.

but i do know that if it goes its alot more costly than just gettin it replaced
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:09pm
yea but i think u can hear it and tell how the car is runnin also ure supposed to get a new one around 70000 miles and mine is at 75000 whoops
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:09pm
You could try Peninsular 4x4 (Sprayforce) or Duttons as these are Cruisewirral Sponsors and generally very competative and helpfull.....

Click here for more details...... or Here even......

Your performance wouldnt de-crease if your cambelt is worn, but if the cambelt snaps it will cost you a small fortune so best get it replaced anyways as preventative maintanance.

You could always ask the garage to have a look at the performance whilst they are doing the cambelt....

Just a thought. think
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:15pm
thanks
Posted By: Gary Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:18pm
mines gettin done at sprayforce, havent noticed and performance issues with mine to be honest (be well made up if it comes out and got a little bit more go!)

depending on the car depends when it should be done, mine should be 72k i think, gettin done in a week or so and im on 59k so best to be safe
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 4th Jan 2006 11:23pm
so must be summin else wrong wid it god i hate that car grrrr
Posted By: scoop Re: cam belt - 5th Jan 2006 12:01am
My belts are makin a funny noise ATM on the 1.6,maybe the pulleys need oiling or somethin,good job i have a new engine to go in in a few weeks.

However,the cam belt being worn would not affect performance,but if it were to snap performance would be..............there wouldnt be ANY any more.Bent valves a plenty tho
Posted By: DavidB Re: cam belt - 5th Jan 2006 1:42am
Timing can go out slightly if cambelt or pre-tensioner gets a bit loose. My mate had his done once and it felt like a different car afterwards. His timing must've been out though.
When you buy a car, you should replace the cambelt.
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 5th Jan 2006 10:55pm
wish i had now frown stupid car
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 5th Jan 2006 11:25pm
Has it snapped ??
Posted By: xcorix Re: cam belt - 5th Jan 2006 11:34pm
nope just think its on its way out id cry for weeks it it had
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cam belt - 6th Jan 2006 4:58am
scoop, why it it that at every opertunity you always have to mention your engine lol, and as for the cam belt,,,, this should make no difference to your performance, its either working, or not workin
Posted By: MattLFC Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 4:13pm
Although they say get them changed at around 70,000 - 75,000 miles, Haynes recommends every 30,000 - 40,000, because as Scooby said, if your cambelt does snap then you are really going to be in trouble because the timing of the cylinders will be lost and they will all just get mushroomed etc...

Severe damage afaik will happen, so its better to be safe then sorry.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 4:20pm
What car is it?

Some allow clearance between pistons and valves, so if the belt does snap there is no perminant damage as the pistons dont hit and bend the valves.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 5:16pm
I was told by auto safe in brom (not scoobys one )that if my cam belt snapped it wouldn't do damage to the engine.

Is this true?
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 5:38pm
OKay, what you are refering to is Interferance Engines

If your engine is identified as an Interferance Engine then it is highly likely it will damage the valves and possibly pistons but if its not then it wont.

The cost is typically 10% to replace the cambelt as it would be to repair the engine happy
Posted By: AX_125 Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 6:20pm
erm, unsure of engine codes,maybe other civic owners could help me?

Civic 1.6i SR Coupe

1.6i SOHC VTEC.
Posted By: scoop Re: cam belt - 9th Jan 2006 8:19pm
Jay,Could u check my engines too (there i go again lol)

1.6 Zetec-E 1996 90PS
1.8 Zetec-E 1996 115PS
Posted By: grizz Re: cam belt - 11th Jan 2006 8:49pm
scoop , both of your engines will bend allmost ALL the valves if the belt or tensioner goes..
Posted By: scoop Re: cam belt - 11th Jan 2006 9:19pm
hahahaha.Ford=********s
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 8th Feb 2006 3:01pm
Scoop & AX125, i need the year of your cars to give exact information and anyone else who wants to know.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: cam belt - 8th Feb 2006 3:04pm
1996 - 1998 Civic SOHC 1.6I SR Coupe.
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 8th Feb 2006 3:14pm
Scoop & AX125, i need the year of your cars to give exact information and anyone else who wants to know.

Got this info anyways happy

-----------------------------------------------

Scoop :

03/1994 > the timing belt should be replaced every 80,000 miles or 5 years (Whichever the sooner) and the tensioner and guide pulleys should be replaced at this time also.

This is an interferance engine therefore would probably cause engine damage if the timing belt snapped.
-----------------------------------------------

AX125 :

> 07/1998 the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles or 5 years (Whichever the sooner).

07/1998 > the timing belt should be replaced every 72,000 miles or 8 years (Whichever the sooner).

This is an interferance engine therefore would probably cause engine damage if the timing belt snapped.
------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps ??
Posted By: scoop Re: cam belt - 8th Feb 2006 6:44pm
cheers jay,both engines are 96 models.is cracking in the rubber of the aux belt ok,or is it bound to snap???
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 8th Feb 2006 9:10pm
For the sake of £10 i would simply replce the Aux belt mate.

Saves a breakdown at a inconvient moment.....
Posted By: scoop Re: cam belt - 9th Feb 2006 6:13pm
ok,ill go to ford tomorrow and get a new'un,can u believe motor world AND halfords didnt have em
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: cam belt - 10th Feb 2006 11:28am
Jay an idea what the timing is for my car. It needs doing as ive had the car a year now but no changed the belt, silly me. i know if it snaps most of the valves will bend at it will mean a new engine but im unsure what the gap is on the belt.

cheers for any help
Posted By: Scooby Re: cam belt - 10th Feb 2006 1:40pm
I Need the following info mate :

Year :
Make :
Model :
Engine Size :
Engine code : (If available)

I will get it for you once you reply with the info mate happy
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: cam belt - 27th Feb 2006 9:44pm
Year :1992
Make :vauxhall
Model :calibra
Engine Size :1998
Engine code : C20XE late version engine was put in in 1994.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral