Forums
Posted By: newnes loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 9:23pm
alrite guys

dnt kno if anyone can help me with this, but theres a loud nosise comin from the back of my car when i go over bumps. at first i thought it was my exhaust but it looks like its on secure.

the only other thing i can think of is the suspension smack

any ideas??
Posted By: scoop Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 10:32pm
can u describe the noise? is it a creaking,banging or what?
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 10:38pm
like a bangin noise ... only happens wen i go over sum bumps tho think

u goin the meet on thursday?
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 10:43pm
jus thought u wont, if ur from dundee
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 10:47pm
its a R reg punto (97 model)

1.2L 60 S if that means anythin 2 u think
Posted By: Pomp Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 11:08pm
Does that to my car aswel, it was some time ago tho but it hasnt been happening for a while now. wanst sure wot it is and still dont no but it seems to have stoped!. i think it is the suspension think
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 11th Jul 2006 11:26pm
bugger!

ah well. i wana new car anyways ... this jus gives me an xcuse to get one smile

u dnt reckon its worth gettin fixed then?
Posted By: Dazza Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 1:05am
I'll have a look for you on Thurday, just make yourself known to me.

Its VERY hard to diagnose anything without a good description or visually checking it.

How long has it happend for?
Haseanything changed on the car recently?
Posted By: Scooby Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 8:31am
Its one of 2 things, puntos are prone for the rear radius arm bushes wearing excessivly, this is the arm that holds your rear suspension/wheel to the chassis or you have snapped a shock absorber smack
Posted By: lawton Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 10:11am
does the exhuast go over the axle? as they do on corsas and its a common problem that sometimes they bang on the top of the axle
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 10:50am
not 100% sure, its at home at the mo an im at work, so i will have a look tonight and let you know smile
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 1:36pm
Joe's car (BeemerRacer) does that.. he got it looked at and apparently its a split bush.. could be something completly different on your car.. just thought id mention it smile
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 2:04pm
split bush eh ... im sure i could live with that lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 5:48pm
Yeah, mines a split bush but i can't be bothered sorting it yet. Just a bit creeky now and again. Lets hope yours isnt worse than that eh?
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 12th Jul 2006 10:23pm
yep, cos i aint takin it the garage lol

me mate had a look today and said he thinks the suspensions came loose or something and its hitting the wheelarch think
Posted By: scoop Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 13th Jul 2006 2:32pm
prolly just a bush,if its a tinny rattle it may be the exhaust tapping the axle/heatsheild

If its more of a clunk it may be the bush,and uve said ur mate looked at it and thought the strut was hitting the arch? did he fix it?

snapped damper,possible but hope it isnt

and there may be more things
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 13th Jul 2006 3:46pm
he didnt .. he just said what he thinks it might be smack
Posted By: scoop Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 13th Jul 2006 3:58pm
are ur rear tyres wearing uneavenly,is handling unpredictable?

if answers to those are yes,go to a garage,if not,then do what u want,but it may fail an MOT
Posted By: AX_125 Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 13th Jul 2006 4:07pm
I heard that the toddle sprocket reguarly need tightening on these cars.
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 13th Jul 2006 11:57pm
case solved ... i think think

thanks to dazza's xpertise laugh

bit of plasic came loose of the bumper which i didnt know about laugh
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 15th Jul 2006 3:23pm
case unsolved frown

the noise is coming from my exhaust, looks like its misfiring every now an then. only happens when the car has been runnin for 5 mins or so.

smack
Posted By: scoop Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 15th Jul 2006 3:32pm
So it misfires on speedbumps only?? thats odd,check ur leads are on ok at both ends
Posted By: MrPhil Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 15th Jul 2006 3:37pm
some times when the baffels get hot they they rattle, is the pop like a backfire? put your hand over the tailpipe and try to hear for leaks.
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 15th Jul 2006 7:01pm
its like a backfire yeah.

i had a look under the car, and when it does it the whole exhaust pipe shakes think
Posted By: MrPhil Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 15th Jul 2006 9:31pm
is there any black soot on the exhaust near the joints? if so that is where the leak is? have you had any high revving latley as this would make the baffels become loose
Posted By: newnes Re: loud noise coming from back of car - 17th Jul 2006 6:45pm
could be the revving then think

i dont do it often (honest tease )

i'll have a look for the soot 2nite.

thanks smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral