Forums
Posted By: Gary de-threaded hub - 2nd Jan 2005 5:28pm
just puttin me sparkly wheels on the car then an 2 holes in my rear hub have been de-threaded and so its only got 2 bolts holdin it on, how much is this to fix and is ot hard etc?
Posted By: PAZ Re: de-threaded hub - 2nd Jan 2005 6:36pm
The only thing i can think of is using helicoils...

A local Engineering shop will does this for about £15

Only other thing is get another hub...
Posted By: Gary Re: de-threaded hub - 2nd Jan 2005 6:57pm
what are helicoils mate? and are drum prolleys expensive because a guy on PGAG said do that
Posted By: Scooby Re: de-threaded hub - 2nd Jan 2005 10:01pm
Depending on how bad they are you will probably get away with running a tap down the holes and replacing the wheel bolts think

I am not sure "Helicoils" would withstand the torque required to hold your wheel on (Approx 120 NM) ??

Failing that i suggest you replace the hub itself but your talking cost then smack

Helical Inserts

Precision thread helical inserts were designed as a simple method of repairing stripped or damaged threads in any metal or plastic. It is better than using a tap because you are maintaining the original screw hole diameter as opposed to tapping a larger diameter hole with the same pitch as original thread. 18-8 Stainless Steel for strength and corrosion resistance. Single size repair kits contain a tap, tool and inserts for one thread size.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Re: de-threaded hub - 4th Jan 2005 7:51pm
took me car the peugeot garage today and its costin me £170 to get fixed not that bad but at least its dun properly then. thanks for the help guys
Posted By: Scooby Re: de-threaded hub - 4th Jan 2005 8:03pm
Some people have more money than sence

smack smack smack smack smack smack smack smack
Posted By: lazy_ben Re: de-threaded hub - 4th Jan 2005 10:33pm
170 Does seem expensive for 1 new hub :rolleyes:
Posted By: Scooby Re: de-threaded hub - 4th Jan 2005 11:48pm
think think think think think
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: de-threaded hub - 15th Jan 2005 1:55pm
engineering firm charge alot of money so it is proberbly better to replace try local breakers if it is to expensive new.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral