Forums
Posted By: DavidB Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 7th Sep 2005 9:12pm
I did a quick bit of rewiring (due to losing my clifford fob, blah blah) and started the car up after putting stuff back together for a bit.
I got the usual smoke from oil etc being on the manifold and the rancid burning smell, but after a while I had smoke coming from BEHIND the engine (near the inlet). It was after about a minute of running. I'm wondering if it is the exhaust, and still has some oily sh*te still on it, or something else.
I've just changed the rack, etc. and there isn't much fluid, but the pump's on the other side.
The alternator may have got some fluid in it or the starter motor (but I doubt it).
Any ideas chaps??
Posted By: Dazza Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 7th Sep 2005 9:16pm
Maybe the exhaust gas re-circ pipe that goes into the inlet? The engine puts some exhaust gases into the inlet to help atomisation of fuel particles, maybe this pipe has came off?
Posted By: Scooby Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 7th Sep 2005 10:51pm
Need to know what you have done prior to running the engine ?

If you have just changed the steering rack then it is probably just oil on the exhaust which will just smoke away as the exhaust heats up until its all burnt off then the smoke will dissapear as if by magic (Paul Daniell's).

Post up exactly what work you have done prior to starting the engine.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 8th Sep 2005 1:18am
Making a big mess and generally larking about. All the hoses have come off, I've been removing stuff, so a lot of things have been accidently pulled.
But to the point, I've had the servo out, all the hoses off, coolant has been drained, steering rack out, and all the wiring out. So basically, just the engine/gearbox and linkages left in!
Nothing that would make it smokey though, but I hadn't thought of the EGR valve thingy.
I'm getting under tomorrow to have a look to see if any gunk is on the exhaust. wink
Posted By: Dazza Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 8th Sep 2005 1:22am
Could be a few things tbh mate, just start it up and like it run till the fan kicks in to burn everything off the exhaust smile

Just watch the firebrigade dont come!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 8th Sep 2005 1:25am
It's a tiny bit of smoke, you have to get level with the car to see it. It's also bluish, I'm pretty sure it's off the exhaust, I just haven't had my motor running for ages and expect the worst!

Anyone know how to bleed the PAS??
Posted By: Scooby Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 8th Sep 2005 1:38am
It deffo 100% sounds like oil deposits on the exhaust burning off when the exhaust gets hot, Like Dazza said let the engine get to full temperature and it should all burn off, Sorted happy

Bleeding the P.A.S. top up the resivoir and run the engine, get someone to turn the steering from full lock to full lock whilst you are keeping the resivoir topped up, do this about 10 - 20 times and it should bleed up sound.

Hope this helps ??
Posted By: DavidB Re: Smoke from the engine bay - but where?! - 8th Sep 2005 11:14am
I'll have a proper look today, I've got the whole two days to get everything sorted. I'm guessing that's correct, as it takes time for the full length of the exhaust to get hot?

I'll do that with the steering thing, need to get more fluid. Thanks! happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral