Posted By: robbie Car over heating - 31st Oct 2005 8:58pm
my saphire keeps overheating carnt put it through mot
i have changed the fan moters
fan switch
thermostate
its not losing water under normal driving but if sat idleing it overheats
any ideas please let me now
Posted By: scoop Re: Car over heating - 31st Oct 2005 9:04pm
How is it running?? It may be running lean (too much air not enought fuel) causing it to run hot.Or it could be a blockage in the cooling system.Do the fans run? You say uve changed the bits but you dont say weather they come on or not?
Posted By: Dazza Re: Car over heating - 31st Oct 2005 9:06pm
Ok back to basics, Does it have Water AND Anti-freeze? You need antifreeze especially in the winter but many people dont realised it contains anit-rust agents AND doesnt boil at 100degrees, When water boils it has airbubbles in it which do not help the cooling and less water it physically in there.

Remove thermostat completely (You dont need it unless your a jessy in the cold weather tease ) - This removes one possible fault, It sounds like you may have a blockage OR airleak.

Feel all hoses once engine is 'hot' and you will be able to identify a blockage.

Airblock - Turn heaters on full whack, remove cap off headertank, locate the top radiater hose and squeeze release squeeze until you see bubbles appear in the header tank

Or check the sponserslink laugh
Posted By: robbie Re: Car over heating - 31st Oct 2005 9:12pm
im not stupid daz and scoop the fanns dont kick in but work when linked straight to a battery
cheers boys ile try the blockage thing then get back to you
Posted By: Dazza Re: Car over heating - 31st Oct 2005 9:13pm
Try the fan sender then, only about £3 and are common to go!

Simple job too, the sender its self is a 12mm
Posted By: Scooby Re: Car over heating - 1st Nov 2005 1:56am
Remove the wiring plug from the Thermo-Switch (Fan Switch) and bridge a piece of wire across the two contacts with the ignition on, if the fans kick straight in then the Thermo-Switch is faulty. If the fans dont kick in then check the fuses.

Let me know what the result is.....
Posted By: robbie Re: Car over heating - 1st Nov 2005 5:10pm
cheers jay ile try that and let you know
Posted By: DavidB Re: Car over heating - 1st Nov 2005 8:34pm
Water pump? Not only overheat-age but also seizure and knackered engine.
Posted By: robbie Re: Car over heating - 3rd Nov 2005 5:44pm
im pretty sure its not the water pump becouse the car would not have run for the past 6 months if the water pump had gone thanks any meik
© Wirral-Wikiwirral