Forums
Posted By: DavidB Clutch Problem - 16th Feb 2005 9:29pm
I'm currently sorting new stuff in engine, I'm also changing the clutch for a Black Diamond variety.
Only I would if I could get the input shaft out.

Here's what you have to do:
Take the transmission end plate off
remove the circlip off the input shaft hole
take the little nut out
and (as Hayne's manual says) simply pull the input shaft out.
However, Hayne's works on new cars, not 100k+ motors. It's stuck firm and I've reluctantly used a slide hammer, it still won't budge.

I understand if I loosen the gearbox bolts a bit, it might free it up. It's the last thing to do before I get the motor back on the road.

Any ideas??
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 16th Feb 2005 9:34pm
Here it is:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scooby Re: Clutch Problem - 17th Feb 2005 2:24am
Looking at that picture you havnt removed the little Torx head bolt ????

I have a special slide hammer that screws into the shaft mate.

They do become tight but i find if you screw the slide hammer in and get two pry-bars (One either side) you can prize the shaft out. They come out in the end mate doh
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 17th Feb 2005 9:10pm
The head bolt is out, it's a little 12 torx with a 1 cm thread.

I'm going to try the slide hammer thing you said. It is only the splines keeping it in isn't it?
Posted By: Scooby Re: Clutch Problem - 18th Feb 2005 1:54am
yeah mate, if you carnt pull it out, try pushing it in (Hitting it inwards with a hammer) to get the shaft moving, once it is moving then work it backwards and forwards until it comes right out.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 17th Mar 2005 11:01pm
After three weeks of trying various methods, I got a crowbar, put a bolt in there, and gently 'levered' it out. I put those little clamps on the clutch, but they're the wrong size!! Retired, as it was getting far too late.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 19th Mar 2005 8:10pm
Okay, 'recovered' the clutch, it's in A1 condition, however, I touched the thrust bearing and wahey, it's raining ball bearings. The race had totally cracked into three bits and was dry inside, I could barely turn it. I put the new items back in, and hammered the input shaft into place...

I can't get it into gear! Now what? I've knackered my gear box haven't I?
Posted By: scoop Re: Clutch Problem - 20th Mar 2005 3:41am
oh no! gutted m8, is this on the GSi or the cesaro???
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 20th Mar 2005 7:33pm
It's the GSi!
Fortunately, a bit of oversight on my part. I'd acidentally knocked it into fifth gear. The fifth cog is located outside the main gearbox, and just knocked it into gear when I was messing about. Just pulled it out, and it was fine!! hehe.

Car is now back on the road after being sat on the drive for two months, with an odd looking replacement grille replacing my stolen one.
Posted By: Dazza Re: Clutch Problem - 20th Mar 2005 7:38pm
Good to hear its sorted now matey laugh

At least its mobile, u can worry about that rare grille at a later date
Posted By: DavidB Re: Clutch Problem - 20th Mar 2005 7:45pm
happy
I've actually got one, but haven't got round to spraying it red yet. smack
© Wirral-Wikiwirral