Forums
Posted By: vixen Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 11th Mar 2005 9:18pm
I am lookin for some advice, i am in the process of repairing my car which i crashed last year, i am close finishing i just need to sort the airbag out as it inflated on impact. what would my next step be? who would i take it to?( a normal garage, or a body repair garage) and what kind of costs am i lookin at?
please help.
confused frown
Posted By: aceritz Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 12th Mar 2005 2:22am
is the air bag located in the steering wheel, if so, some cars require the whole steering wheels to tb replaced, others have a little box inthe centre which can be replaced.
if you think you can handle it, the steering wheel comes off without too much trouble, if you cant then just check the sponsors page there a re garages listed in there they should be able to help
Posted By: Basskiddanny Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 12th Mar 2005 4:44am
if it was for a ford you can buy coloured....thats right COLOURED airbags!!!

They come in blue, red, or white i think hahaha how awesome is that!! Crash in style people!!
Posted By: vixen Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 12th Mar 2005 3:34pm
thanks for that guys.
Posted By: gaz8801 Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 13th Mar 2005 11:02am
if its for a proton? your going to have to replace the wheel..been the done it!! £250 from dealer in chester..(not good) lol
Posted By: vixen Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 13th Mar 2005 7:00pm
Originally posted by gaz8801:
if its for a proton? your going to have to replace the wheel..been the done it!! £250 from dealer in chester..(not good) lol
ah right, i take it u have been in the same place as me then, yeah its for the proton, was the £250 plus fit also? if not who did u get to fit it for u?
Posted By: scoop Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 14th Mar 2005 1:34am
Go aftermarket, my mates 106Gti one was gonna cost 1000 pound to get him a new one/or the existin one reset,i forget. But the car was well mashed n e way so he left it
Posted By: Dazza Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 14th Mar 2005 11:49am
Airbags can be v expensive to replace, i remember awhile ago people where buying 8month old Clio's that had crashed and where paying buttons b'cos the airbags cost about £1000.

The cheap alternative would be to take old steering wheels off and replace it with a Momo one - Costs less and looks better (but granted no airbag)
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 14th Mar 2005 12:18pm
Good idea Dazza smile

Remove the wheel totally and fit an aftermarket jobbie - prolly cheaper too smile

Remove the airbag light from the dash too - if this stays on it will fail the MOT, but with the bulb out, you'll be fine smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 16th Mar 2005 2:26am
I've seen many cars with airbags still intact in various scrapyards. I'm not sure of the legalities of swapping from used cars though. Reckon you could get it for 50 quid, not sure though.
Posted By: vixen Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 16th Mar 2005 10:24am
thanks for ur help guys, from the looks of it i am goin to have to swap it for one with out an air bag, i was just hopin i wouldn't have to cuz i didn't want to compromise on safty, cuz the air bag was the reason why i got out the car with out a scratch.
thanks for ur help. smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Airbag Problem : can any1 help? - 16th Mar 2005 5:30pm
The alternative is to get a large baloon, stick it onto the steering wheel and attach the other end to a foot pump. Just before a crash you pump the balloon up as fast as you can.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral