Forums
Posted By: kenpotaz Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 9:17am
Guyz 'n galz....need help, guidance, pointers as I've tried what feels like every Supra & Lexus forum on the planet (as a Soarer shares certain engine similarities to the Supra).

It's a simple request (lol)..I've got a N/A J-Spec 1993 Toyota Supra and all I want to do is Supercharge it, but do you think I can find anyone who does a kit or knows of anyone who's done this... thumbsdown Seems like I've got more chance of covering Haley Berry in chocolate sauce thumbsup !!

So the question is....NE1 know where I could get this done, or even if it's possible?

Cheers from a frustrated Taz...n Taz's don't like being frustrated!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 12:36pm
Ive read what you have posted in your memebers modded car, and that you want the supercharger to be different, but the turbo makes a lot, lot more sence confused

They do a turbo version, so all parts are available, they also use a sequential setup to reduce lag (Possibly the biggest advantage of a supercharger is the reduced lag) so the price difference between a supercharger and turbos dont really justify any performance increase (if any) between the two confused
Posted By: kenpotaz Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 1:47pm
The sensible bit of me agrees with you TT Soops make around 320bhp as std and can be tuned to 600+bhp on stock internals...and as you say, parts are plentiful so you can always find the bit you need...all of which makes perfect sense! happy

However.....I've been to loads of meets and there are some cracking TT's and Single T's out there, which I guess is the point and got me thinking about Superchargers...why follow the pack? Why not try and do something different? My problem is I've never been one to follow suit (no matter how sensible it is!)

Sometimes I guess you just have to give the finger to sense and see if you can push the line back a bit (until of course sense sneaks up on you and kicks you in the 'nads and says 'reality check'!)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 1:50pm
How about an LPG conversion, thats a bit different to everyone else wink laugh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 2:26pm
I cant belive you suggested that Adam tease

I recon you should do a Gas conversion to the Starlet laugh Recon you could get 20 miles to one fart on that 1.3 laugh
Posted By: kenpotaz Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 5:41pm
MisterAdam: How about an LPG conversion, thats a bit different to everyone else
LMAO...I like your style.. thumbsup
Posted By: scoop Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 5:52pm
Its possible,anything is. Just need to find someone mad enough to do it for you.Maybe the leading toyota engine tuners in the country,whoever they may be
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Supercharger Question.. - 19th Sep 2005 6:03pm
Hey the guy wants to be different so im making sugesstions, and if he done it then its an excuse to drive more as he'll get more mile to the gallon smile

Try CRD mate, i think turbo is the more sensible option and probly more affordable than supercharging?
Posted By: red20 Re: Supercharger Question.. - 29th Sep 2005 6:54pm
is it true that u can run this if that i take my power stearing pump an run it of the same place
Posted By: Scooby Re: Supercharger Question.. - 29th Sep 2005 8:15pm
A super charger is driven directly from your engine very simillar to your Power Steering / Air Conditioning / Alternator etc etc....
Posted By: red20 Re: Supercharger Question.. - 29th Sep 2005 10:33pm
do u know of any where where i can read up about doing this
Posted By: Scooby Re: Supercharger Question.. - 29th Sep 2005 11:14pm
What is the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger on a car's engine ?

Let's start with the similarities. Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They compress the air flowing into the engine. The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air into a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in, too, so you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbo/supercharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging.

The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50-percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50-percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, though, so you might get a 30-percent to 40-percent improvement instead.

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.

There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.
===============================================

This any use for you matey ??
Posted By: red20 Re: Supercharger Question.. - 30th Sep 2005 6:48pm
yes but am realy intrested in doing this so i want 2 look into this alot any good web sites
Posted By: DavidB Re: Supercharger Question.. - 30th Sep 2005 8:30pm
Another difference is, with the SC, there's less messing about with the exhaust manifold, but more messing round with the inlet and pulleys, and they take up a huge amount of space. TC's need a bit of work with the plumbing (if using a TC which is from a different car). SC's generally give you 40% 'gains' (i hate that word).

You've got a Corsa with an XE, which is a bit of a squeeze, I don't think you've got an easy job of it.

PAS can be forfeited though, and with having a Corsa, you can get a PAS rack (off the brand new Corsas), which is just a motor on the steering column; no pumps, belts or pipes, and more room!

Get a Calibra/Cav Turbo engine. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral