Forums
Posted By: Rossyboy screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 9:34am
i got my new alloys fitted last thursday (went from 17inch to 15inch), they were fine all day thursday, all day friday and saturday. but on the way home from the cruise on saturday nite the front drivers side wheel or brake started to make this high pitched whining sound when i turned right, when i brake and sometimes goin in a straight line happy
Posted By: Scooby Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 10:03am
First things first, check your wheel nuts are tight.

Failing that check the alloys thoroughly for any scoring marks where they might be catching/fouling the brake caliper or other components.
Posted By: scoop Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 11:05am
sounds like theyre catching something mate. Take it off and,as scooby says,check the wheel for scratches,it may have hit the caliper ot even worse,the damper body
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 11:16am
so do you reckon the front might just need spacers then? it does sound a bit like its rubbing on something.
Posted By: scoop Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 12:08pm
yeah spacers mate. What offset are these wheels,and what offset is ur car?
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 12:21pm
i cant remeber at the minute. i know when i bought them i checked about four times that they were the right offset and PCD. 3mm spacers should do then?
Posted By: scoop Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 12:24pm
first get em off and check that they are srubbing,no use spacing ur wheels out if its actually ur brakes thats squeeling. But if it is the wheels then space em out 3mm yeah
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 28th Mar 2006 12:49pm
sound as a trout. cheers.
Posted By: Macca GSI Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 11:13am
What i'd do mate is, jack the front of the car up and spin the front wheels round with your hands to see if they feel free, if not there probly rubbin and you will need spaces, if they feel free it maybe your front wheel bearings, or dust on a rubing brake pad.
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 12:28pm
cheers, gona try and get it sorted ASAP
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 3:25pm
new development on this, it now does it all the time goin right and in a straight line but stops when i press on the brakes. its like a grinding sound
Posted By: StuyMac Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 3:32pm
Is the pad correctly located in the caliper?

Any scoring on the disk?
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 3:43pm
havent checked yet, im dreading it being something serious coz im no good with the technical side of cars. ask me to fit a bulb or an ICE install and ill have a bloody good go, anythin technical and im crap sorry
Posted By: DavidB Re: screaming front wheel or brake - 30th Mar 2006 11:56pm
I can agree with Stuy, last night I dismantled my rear driver's side caliper due to it screaming. The pad was not in correctly, when I put it back together, it stopped completely.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral