Forums
Posted By: scoop Ancilliaries? - 31st Oct 2005 9:13pm
Had some battery trouble when i got back from 2 and a half weeks away. Car started,then cut out,then started,then cut out. Week spark due to dead battery i assumed as it was cuttin out as i turned the lights on.

The main point is..............How are all the ancilliaries run?

I remember being told moon ago that the alternator was run off a belt from the gearbox "final drive" but now i dont think this is true. That would mean u have to be turnin the box to charge the battery and not stationary idle/revving. How is the alternator run,and how is the PAS pump/water pump and all other ancilliaries operated.Should make for a good topic, so come on mechanics. Turn them brains over
Posted By: Dazza Re: Ancilliaries? - 31st Oct 2005 9:17pm
Thats wrong.
Alternator is run off a belt, thats linked to other things such as the crank or waterpump - The finaldrive is a serious and gears/cogs inside your gearbox and not related.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 12:32am
Starter motor turns engine, while everything fires up, then igntion does the rest.
You can spin the alternator pulley freely with a finger, and it will spin about 50 times with one push, zero friction.
Pumps are run off main belt, they are conditional to rpm of engine, electrical (alternator, etc) is run off auxilliary belt on an extra pulley on the crank, if it breaks, no big deal. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scoop Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 11:34am
And are all these ancilliaries bolted to the engine,so when you pull the engine out they will all be attatched?Or does one need to take the water pump etc out of the engine bay and fit it into the new bay then follow it with the engine?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 11:46am
SPEAK ENGLISH BOYS!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: scoop Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 12:03pm
We are chewy
Posted By: Scooby Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 12:08pm
smack smack smack

They are all atached to the engine.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 12:26pm
Originally posted by scoop2004:
Or does one need to take the water pump etc out of the engine bay and fit it into the new bay then follow it with the engine?
Kinda lost me with that lol

Everything is attached to the motor, and will come out when the engine is lifted. Battery is used on start up, and the Alternator runs off the bottom pulley via a belt to charge the battery and run the ignition with the engine running.

At high rpm, alternators will stop working to save them as the engine turning at high speed produces more power than it can handle, so it kinda shuts down till it can cope again - bit of useless info for ya there lol
Posted By: scoop Re: Ancilliaries? - 1st Nov 2005 12:42pm
I understand now. The bit you quoted chewy was me wondering about the engine swap. So....now it seems an engine swap is that wee bit easier.

New topic on the go now
© Wirral-Wikiwirral