Forums
Posted By: Cali_16v Painting alloys - 16th Mar 2006 2:40pm
Is it possible to just paint alloy wheels with hammerite paint, as you can paint any surface with it and it even covers and treats rust.

I was thinking about doing my wheels black until i can afford to buy my new rims.
Posted By: Macca GSI Re: Painting alloys - 16th Mar 2006 2:48pm
i would try and rub some of the surface to key the surface in so the paint has sumthin to hold on to!!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Painting alloys - 16th Mar 2006 7:09pm
If you use hammerite make sure you buy the gloss and mix it with thinners or it'll be all lumpy.

And like macca said, it'll stick better if you key the surface with wire wool or something.
Posted By: lawton Re: Painting alloys - 17th Mar 2006 9:36pm
no, dont use hammerite, it will look poo, ask gary how he did his, as he sprayed his
Posted By: DavidB Re: Painting alloys - 17th Mar 2006 9:39pm
If you want to spray with the tyre still on, get some thin card and bend it round the rim and the tyre. The paint on the alloys is really easy to remove (for some reason) with medium grade sandpaper.
Just use loads of layers (about eight layers), then a couple of layers of cellulose laquer and you're laughing.
Posted By: Gary Re: Painting alloys - 17th Mar 2006 11:58pm
i did mine myself mate smile was a doddle. REALLY super easy

clean wheels then use wet and dry paper to sand down, prime sand prime sand, colour, sand, colour LIGHTLY sand, colour agian, laquer, laquer and laquer to your heats content lol

its really easy mate, cost me buttons to do mine with spray cans and the tyres were still on mine aswel
Posted By: lawton Re: Painting alloys - 18th Mar 2006 11:26am
see, daz, i told you it was that easy, will cost you about £20 - £25 for the spray cans and san paper
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Painting alloys - 18th Mar 2006 9:46pm
would it be ok to paint brand new alloys white like this?
Posted By: Gary Re: Painting alloys - 19th Mar 2006 11:31am
duno mate mine were standard VTS ones so.

£50 and ill do it for you wink
Posted By: lawton Re: Painting alloys - 19th Mar 2006 12:56pm
Originally posted by Scotty69:
would it be ok to paint brand new alloys white like this?
yep, you can paint any alloys aslong as you give them a good sand
Posted By: DavidB Re: Painting alloys - 19th Mar 2006 10:45pm
Preparation before spraying is important.
And always use laquer it'll chip and peel to buggery.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral