Forums
Posted By: spinking XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 4th Mar 2006 9:47pm
As some of you may know i have got myself a xr4x4 car which is for parts for the 4i.

I am taking the back axle off does anybody know if it goes straight on a couple of people say it does and a couple say it doesnt.

Also what do i need to do for the breaks as the 4i has drums and the 4x4 has disks at the back.

I have lowered springs and Koni shocks for the 4i do you think they will go on the new axle.

Whats the best way to do all this peps.

get your thinking hats on cheers.
Posted By: Scooby Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 4th Mar 2006 11:17pm
I dont know for sure mate but it should bolt straight on, use your 4i suspension springs and the 4x4 brakes (If they are in good working order) however drums are better for handbraking the car so maybe use the drums.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 5th Mar 2006 9:39am
Im sure for dparts just swap right over. They are both the same car with the same chassis so it should be a bolt on job, TBH i dont know that much about ford but most are companies are the when it comes to making cars, one chassis witha few tweaks and you get a different spec.
Posted By: DavidB Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 5th Mar 2006 7:16pm
Passionford. wink
Posted By: spinking Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 5th Mar 2006 9:26pm
Originally posted by StationMiek:
Passionford. wink
Put the same question up on there.

Hoping its not a to big ajob.

What about the brakes do you think they will be ok with the same brake lines i have.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 6th Mar 2006 12:46pm
I had a 4x4 rear axle on an old Diesel Sierra, didnt do the swap myself but belive it was quite straight forward happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XR4X4 AXLE FITTING AND SPRINGS. - 7th Mar 2006 8:20pm
I use the sierra for parts alot and as said above " a few tweeks and its a new model.
The rear should go on no problem and the sub frame used to mount the diff and swing arms should be the same.
Watch out if you remove the rear subframe to make life a bit easier, the large bolts near the front of the back wheels used to mount it will be very rusty and so, very tight.
I use a breaker bar with a scafolding tube as an extension to get them out but it will take ages.
Dont be to heavy with them as the theaded part of the chassis (a nut welded to the chassis, but inside and unreachable) has a tendency to snap off.
And what ever you do, dont use an inpact gun, they will snap!
The brakes should be an easy upgrade as the mounts from the donor car should be used and should go straight on.
The rear calipers are cable opperated for the hand brake and oil for the foot brake.
For the foot brake side of things, T off the front brakes and run lines to the rear, put a proportion valve in the line so that you can adjust the presure evenly.
There may be lines there already i have never looked, this is what i do when installing it in a kit car.
Ive got a diagram for the different ways you can install brake lines. Give me a call if you want a copy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral