Forums
Posted By: scoop OFF ROADING!!!! - 13th Dec 2004 5:37pm
Well peeps just spent the day doin my land rover training and it was the best driving ive ever done in my life.First of all i had a 3-4 hour drive around fife to prove i can drive it on road,then came the fun part after a one hour break.Taking it out to the off road training course.It was bloody fantastic and i never knew a car could do some of the things i was doing in it.I was roving the land like a goodun laugh .After a fun day ragging the rover i now can do the everyday task of taking broken plane parts half a mile from the hanger to the repair bay.Aaawww.I probably will not ever take one off road for the purposes of work ever again but u know at least i theoretically could. The main point of this is to just see what peeps think of off roading, i expect jimbo would have a lot to say regarding this. I really wish i had the money to buy a rover 90(short wheelbase)so i cud go larking about.What a day!!!! happy
Posted By: Rocco Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 13th Dec 2004 5:46pm
I give it minutes for Jimbo to reply,await what has got to be CruiseWirral's offroading legend! lol happy
Posted By: Meesh Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 12:01pm
pah, no1 saw me leaving MNR a few weeks back, i own the worlds first all terrain Fiesta lol
Posted By: rossi-foci Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 12:55pm
i didnt see you meesh, but i took the same route out of the MNR at ellesmere port.......the worlds first all terain focus!
Posted By: AX_125 Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 12:57pm
I would really like to try 4 x 4 off roading.

Most people have 4 x 4's for taking the kids to school and the 4 x 4's dont usually seen any terain more harsh than speed bumps outside the school.

They are fairly cheap to do aint they?
Posted By: scoop Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 1:50pm
Just found me rover 90 peeps. L reg one for sale for 3900 pounds in a1 condition and u get 5 extra wheels tires.Its a 7 seater varient so u can drive it on a cat B license. if i had 3900 spare i would buy that today but i am more than 3900 in debt so i think we will wait till i clear that! most mums 4x4s would not do the stuff that land rover defenders can do .these are true 4x4s. who would buy a x3 and take it off road . not me, i would buy it and make it a show car. wouldnt use it as a dailly driver cos theyre bad!!
Posted By: dj_russell_plays_trance Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 3:44pm
Originally posted by scoop2004:
Just found me rover 90 peeps. L reg one for sale for 3900 pounds in a1 condition and u get 5 extra wheels tires.Its a 7 seater varient so u can drive it on a cat B license. if i had 3900 spare i would buy that today but i am more than 3900 in debt so i think we will wait till i clear that! most mums 4x4s would not do the stuff that land rover defenders can do .these are true 4x4s. who would buy a x3 and take it off road . not me, i would buy it and make it a show car. wouldnt use it as a dailly driver cos theyre bad!!
landrovers r the best my dads had 2 1st 1 was a series 1 2 or 3 he went and bought some chrome rims 4 it and it was a great car and the 1 hes got now is a 110 landrover van(long wheelbase) with big wheels and checker plate and the steel grill makes it look like a hummer its like a bus ask ROCCO AND JIMBO4X4(remember at wakestock when we got done by the police 4 hangin off the side steps cause there was no room inside cuz it had 15 people inside!!!! happy
Posted By: Scooby Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 7:14pm
I used to have a Shogun a while ago, i originally bought it for its damb good looks and status happy

[Linked Image]

Before long i descovered it could be great fun offroad, a few playtime pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you look in the 3rd picture down you can just see Shelby sitting in the very rear seat (red coat) Loving it and asking for more, pmsl.....
Posted By: dj_russell_plays_trance Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 7:59pm
thats a nice shogun m8 happy !!!!but that id b worried about gettin scratched offroadin whereas a landy it just dont matter!!!
Posted By: Scooby Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 8:12pm
<b>Well, It did cost a fortune off-roading.....

Burst both front electronic adjustable shock absorbers £1300 for a pair after doing a rather large jump happy
Posted By: scoop Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 8:22pm
its so much fun.
______________ }}}___ wahoo flying.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\ }}}o o
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\\
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\\\
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\\\\
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\\\\\
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh\\\\\\

Didnt do any flying cos slower is safer and more incredible.Shows wot the car can do. anything can just blast at a hill and fly off the top. only a true 4x4 can pull up it then chug down steep hills on the engine braking!! ACE happy
Posted By: Scooby Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 8:31pm
I agree, i didnt jump it intentially though.

I was in a "Puddle" and it just got deaper and Deaper, got to near the windows and i started to panic a little. Put my foot down rather than getting stuck and headed for the embankment on the other side of the so called "Puddle" i wasnt slowing down to get bugged down in several feet of water so i hit the embankment doing about 25mph or so only to find there was a 15 foot drop on the other side smack smack smack

Luckily i levelled bofore landing on all four wheels together (Pure Luck) and burst the shock absorbers wide open, bumpy ride home........
Posted By: scoop Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 8:43pm
its incredible how u can get the exhaust underwater and not kill it isnt it

Y dont they mod the zorst to make it come up like a snorkel
Posted By: Scooby Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 9:02pm
The water will not enter the exhaust as long as the engine is running due to the pressure of the exhaust gases leaving the engine and travelling through the exhaust pipe.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 9:20pm
Geeez, don't make me start! Just click >here< to see what I get up to.

So much to say!! First off, don't buy a defender if it's doing more than 1% of it's mileage off road. It takes alot of modifying to make them reliable enough for it, and when they do break they cost megabucks to fix.

AX, Off roading is by no means cheap, unless you buy a simple sj410 with no mot and trailer it to events, having just lifted shackles, snorkel, and m/t tyres as your mods. That can cost as little as £200-£300. Anything more than that will cost an arm and a leg. Me and my bro have thrown about £5k at the zuki... and it's currently havin its 4th engine fitted eek

Scoop, you want engine braking? with the diesel in the jeep I slow down just as quickly changing down through the gears as I can with the brakes! I've had a copper stop me before to tell me my brake lights aren't working when they were fine!! And scooby's right about the exhaust, so long as you don't stall, water can't get up it.

That's all I can be bothered to type at the mo. Might come back to this topic :rolleyes: cool
Posted By: scoop Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 10:26pm
I reckon zorsts shud be snorkeled so u can stall in a water trap and still satrt it again to get out, cos i was tought never to restar it as the initial suck of the engine why cause a hydrosomefink fingeymebob and the engine will cease up. So that'd be a good idea me finks. I really cant get over the angles of the tyres at times, if my wheels done that in me essie it'd be bye bye wishbones, putwang
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 14th Dec 2004 10:44pm
Yeah, the engine would hydraulic (suck water into the pistons). I think it's coz when you first start an engine it pulls air in from the exhaust valves, but if there's water the other side of them then you end up with a dribble in your cylinders. Raised air intakes however are a necessity for serious off roaders. I fu**ed up the first diesel engine coz the alternator fan splashed water into the induction kit. It hydraulic'd and eventually stalled. Got towed outta the puddle and onto the top field where I removed the heater plugs, cranked the starter motor, filled the cylinders with wd40, cranked it again, threw the plugs back on and it fired straight back up again! Smoked a bit since though, and woulda cost more than the engine was worth to fix it, so installed engine no.3 smile

Here's a couple of pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Never gonna make that mistake again no
Posted By: AX_125 Re: OFF ROADING!!!! - 15th Dec 2004 7:03am
I mean cheap as in argos do off road courses like ferrari driving, dont they?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral