Forums
Posted By: DavidB Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 6:15pm
Anyone know of the going rate to change the gasket and cambelt on a 16v?

I haven't done a compression test (because it's a pain in the arse), but I assume the amount of white/grey smoke it's pumping out of the exhaust, the HG is on it's way out. The car runs fine though, there is no water in oil/oil in the water, maybe the piston rings need replacing. The car is run for about 10 minutes twice a week, I was thinking this could be because it is 'cold'. The smoke does thin out after a while, but it's still there.
This should be the last thing on 'The List' hopefully, and there's nowt wrong with changing the belt. smile
Posted By: Scooby Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 6:44pm
Originally posted by StationMiek:
Anyone know of the going rate to change the gasket and cambelt on a 16v?
16V Saxo ? 106 ? BMW ? Need full info mate smack

It sounds like the car needs a bloody good run up the motorway for 30 mins or so to clear the shite.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 7:05pm
It's the good ol' Astra 2.0 16v!

I think you're right, it has done about 20 miles in 6 months!
Posted By: Scooby Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 7:27pm
You would be looking in the region of £350 - £400 to have the job done correctly at a reputable garage mate.

Thats head skimmed, new cambelt/tensioners etc.

However, like i said take it for a good blast before doing anything else.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 7:51pm
to be perfectly honest i think it might just need a good run just imagine how much condensate will be in the system ova that period of time, and letting the car run for ten min twice a week just aint enough. If the ring are on the way out then the smoke will most certanly be blue, white grey is just the moisture and black is overfueling hope this helps, but b4 u go looking at getting work done on it i would do as scooby says take it for a blast for 20min happy
Posted By: Gary Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 8:05pm
i got a cracking price from sprayforce for my cambelt and tensioners etc
Posted By: DavidB Re: Cambelt and Head Gasket change prices - 14th Jan 2006 9:05pm
Thanks, that's all reassured me. The smoke is definately white, same colour as steam. If I remember correctly, it never did this before it went off the road.
I'll do a compression test tommorow anyways, see what it comes up with.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral