Forums
Posted By: cfuk Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 12:26am
Does anyone know how to take a gear knob off a clio mk1? i've bought a new one to fit my car, but i can't seem to get it off :S
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 8:31am
Cut it off and fit your new one to the remaining part of the shaft = short throw shifter! laugh
Posted By: Pomp Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 10:29am
raftl Lmao dats a gd one raftl
Posted By: cfuk Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 11:45am
so it's not a screw off one then?
Posted By: scoop Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 7:06pm
twist it anti clockwise,failing that pull really hard.failing that buy a haynes,or just bodge by sawing the shaft just under the knob and sticking ur new knob on the remainder of the shaft. Shortens ur throw and makes ur gaitor scrunch up like a sports car
Posted By: weaver_86 Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 7:38pm
you done that before scoop?
Posted By: scoop Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 7:41pm
what,sawing the knob. Done it on both my cars mate and it make the change feel so much better as well as making the gearstick look more sporty by lowering it into the centre console. If ur gearknob comes up out of the floor tho and not thru a centre console it might make it look silly. Got any pics of it?
Posted By: Dazza Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 7:43pm
Shortens your throw? It doesnt at all it only makes the gearstick shorter, a common misconception about 'short shifters' is exactly that, you would pay £200 for one knowing you could cut your old one in half - Short Shifters change the angle/throw of the stick by altering the leverage point
Posted By: scoop Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 7:53pm
It DOES shorten the throw.

Short shifters are longer UNDER the leverage point to shorten the throw,wheras DIY ones are shorter above the point of leverage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scooby Re: Gear Knob - 15th Jun 2006 11:23pm
Keep to topic please......
Posted By: Dazza Re: Gear Knob - 16th Jun 2006 12:40am
What you have just put up confirms what I have said 100%
Posted By: cfuk Re: Gear Knob - 16th Jun 2006 8:55am
will i be ok if i have to cut it becuase it's a lift up rev
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Gear Knob - 16th Jun 2006 9:55am
dont cut it then. as you will have to relocate the collor for the lift up and can become messy if you dont know what your doing. get a hacksaw and cut the old knob of. then it should pull away if you cut right down the side of it.
Posted By: scoop Re: Gear Knob - 16th Jun 2006 6:34pm
Admin Note: Post removed, being settled via PM
© Wirral-Wikiwirral