Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 3:00am
Violet i won`t be pestering you anymore mate, i got one at last laugh

Vauxhall Astra GSi 16V

Needs a load of work but you all know what these are and they`re woth spending cash on!
Mostly bodywork and paintwork, the interiours like new.

Only have these pics at mo off my phone, night time with no flash so bit blurry.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 8:41am
*drools

...redtop, the only decent motor vauxhall have made raftl
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 9:00am
doesnt look to bad! nice one bud.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 11:32am
Does anyone know if i reshell this using a normal Astra shell if i can rename it as a GSi on the logbook?

Its just that i`ve been offered a 2 door astra, same colour but 1.4 engine, the bodywork is in mint condition but knackered clutch so i was thinking of doing a reshell for this but wont bother if i cannot change it to a GSi.

confused
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 3:05pm
The floor pan is the same. you would need a certificate for the chasi number change (right hand side of seat.)and possible second one on grill lower cross member. t/gate struts differ reds heavy duty on acount of added crap shocks on red differ and the speedo so would have to keep as original,
as possible
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 3:09pm
Nice one Ste, I haven't used mine for over a year now, but will put it back on the road next month. Honestly, these are great cars and will never let you down.
The arches go (as it looks) on sunroof models, but that's about it. First thing is get new dampers, knackered ones make driving scary. New bushes make a massive difference, even if they're just standard ones.

Did you get it cheap? Are you going to part with the alloys? I'm a bit jealous. laugh They have the same stud pattern as MR2s, but the bore is different.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 3:24pm
Oh, you can't reshell a car and keep it's identity. My mate did it though, but swapped the reg plates/vin plate and stamped ID next to the driver's seat/bulkhead. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 4:38pm
told yeah he would sell at right price, smile is right are kid made up for ye. wink
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 5:15pm
the engine etc would say something else if say burn out for insurance stolen or dismantled. It would not pass say AA authenticity check
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 5:56pm
Violet just got my head around what you said about your mate"s reshell if it was a new shell he would not have to xxx out the old number which is were I was coming from. Ste I will get back to you when I tidy up My garage loads of bits you will require.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Feb 2010 7:02pm
Here's his, it was an Astra GSi as well, may have seen it driving around.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/287451-my-astra-gsi-re-shell-project.html

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/cars-sale/347565-wide-arch-mk3-astra-gsi-possibly-sale.html

SVA re-test would bring it up, you'd have to be careful.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Feb 2010 7:46pm
Originally Posted by Violet
Nice one Ste, I haven't used mine for over a year now, but will put it back on the road next month. Honestly, these are great cars and will never let you down.
The arches go (as it looks) on sunroof models, but that's about it. First thing is get new dampers, knackered ones make driving scary. New bushes make a massive difference, even if they're just standard ones.

Did you get it cheap? Are you going to part with the alloys? I'm a bit jealous. laugh They have the same stud pattern as MR2s, but the bore is different.

[Linked Image]

Cheers for that guys happy I think it would be best to keep the original shell going by whats been said smile

Violet, i think it has new suspension spings and dampers all round, not sure what type but i know they are from demon tweaks, theres tons of reciepts with the car from vauxhalls etc, its just had the head rebuilt too.
The other side of the car and the hood are in primer due to the paintwork being vandalised so i think its going to need a full respray.
The interiour is like brand new, even has original stereo/cassette and the on board computers there and working.

I paid £400 for it with no tax or mot but i reckon it`s well worth it (been after one for a while as you know grin )
My cousins guttered to see it go but he hasn`t the time to do it up atm and a saxo VTR turned up which he had to have, thats how i ended up with it smile He wouldn`t let it go previously, i promised him i`d make a good job of it and he can have a go when it`s done smile

Over the alloys mate make me an offer as i`ll be putting different ones on it, if you have any deep dish rims knocking about we can do a deal?
There are 5 alloys all fitted with brand new tyres.

Originally Posted by _jase_
told yeah he would sell at right price, smile is right are kid made up for ye. wink

Buzzin jase, thought he`d never let it go happy

Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
Ste I will get back to you when I tidy up My garage loads of bits you will require.

Cheers mate, let me know what you have and how much £££, i could do with stocking up on spares anyway happy

Thats a nice one your mates got there, thats an awesome rebuild omg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Feb 2010 6:53am
Very niccccce Totopopadopalopamopahopatopabopadoparopawopagopadopolus.

Shall have to pop down and see this fella! thumbsup
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Feb 2010 8:19pm
thumbsup
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Feb 2010 8:49pm
try this site for some cheap OE Vaux parts...

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/index.php

Always liked the Mk3 Gsi's
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Feb 2010 10:47pm
Thanks for that phil, apprieciate it happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Feb 2010 12:00am
This is good also, and very cheap, mostly genuine GM stuff.

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/ASTRA_MK_3_1992to1998.html

Panels here:

http://www.crashrepairparts.com/panels-lamps/mark/69/astra
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Feb 2010 3:12pm
spot on that mate, need two arches, £25 each is sound happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Feb 2010 8:27am
Right, MOT booked for Saturday, hope i have some floor left smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Feb 2010 8:46pm
Picked it up before, topped the tank up with super octane fuel, batterys goosed, out with the battery pack again, started result.

Well drives nice, smooth stiff suspension, no power steering due to split in pipe but easy to steer without it.

Problem with brakes, when you press the brake the pedal goes up and down then to the floor then the brakes stop working until u lift your foot off and put it back on? Any idea what could cause this?

Left it ticking over at work then the engine started rattling like mad, bottom end? Sod knows, more tomorrow.

Car drives nice though and will be getting a lot of money spent on it to get it right.
Getting it resprayed same colour but with a cherry red pearl smile

Ste
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Feb 2010 8:58pm
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are kid has just left gutted its gone. He wants it back hahahaha. laugh

bottom end? confused I thought it had a full rebuild??? think

get it sorted are kid. wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Feb 2010 9:10pm
Love it mate. Get all the internals sorted before any cosmetics smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 27th Feb 2010 1:19pm
I reckon the brakes just need new fluid if it's been sat for a while. It's not the ABS judder is it? It might be okay once it's had a few litres through the system. Before that though, clamp off each of the brake hoses and brake to find out which corner is the culprit. Your servo could be knackered also.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 27th Feb 2010 7:50pm
smack Duhhh Ste, theres nothing wrong with it, i forgot karl jammed a hammer in the cam cover to keep it off the belt and it had came loose and the noise was the hammer on the power steering pump! laugh lol

Yeah dave i was thinking the servo, had a word with billy leyland today though, he recons it`ll just be the discs ?

Am working again tomorrow so will probs get monday off to mess around with it smile

It`s in Dillys garage at the top of our yard at the moment, he`s having a look at it to give me a qoute for the welding, i said i`d strip the interiour out for him so its easier and cheaper, lol smile

Jase i had to drive karls VTR back from moreton coz it had no lights, lol, quick car that mate happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Feb 2010 1:24pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Jase i had to drive karls VTR back from moreton coz it had no lights, lol, quick car that mate happy

ye man its sound init.... smile

but its a saxo. whistle dont like them me. coffee
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Mar 2010 7:26pm
HmmmWell I got the car back before only to be told that it's solid underneath and requires no welding at all! exellent laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Mar 2010 7:31pm
Excellent!!! clap
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Mar 2010 8:49pm
laugh Took her out for a spin today, the brakes are fine now, battery charged up, left the car running for a few hours thismorning.
Computer says it needs brake pads.

MOT time tomorrow eek

Paint and bodywork begins next week, keeping the car the same colour but with a cherry flame red pearl and 2 coats of laquer smile

Thinking of keeping the original alloys, what are your views on this?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Mar 2010 8:52pm
Keep it Standard.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Mar 2010 8:56pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Keep it Standard.

Several people have told me that, so i`m not doing anything to the bodywork.
The wheels are in amazing condition, just like new.

I have photos to put up, just need to put the drivers on my pc for the motherboard i just replaced so i`ll try and get the photos up soon smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 2:47pm
Mot went well smile

cv boot needs securing
small round indicator lens missing off o/s wing
anti roll bar linkage insecure
interiour mirror needs putting on
2 small pieces of brake pipe on rear
2 minute holes (chewing gum size)

passed emissions with flying colours
not as bad as I thought, great stuff happy
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 3:12pm
nice one, days work easy laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 4:19pm
Photos smile

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 4:20pm
more...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 4:21pm
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 4:22pm
last few

Wait till its finished wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Mar 2010 11:27pm
Do you need an interior mirror if you have wing mirrors either side, certainly didn't used to need them for "construction and use".
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 8th Mar 2010 7:30pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Do you need an interior mirror if you have wing mirrors either side, certainly didn't used to need them for "construction and use".

Not sure mate?

The pod is fitted to the windshield for it so i guess it needs to be fitted, its on the passenger seat anyway smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Mar 2010 7:28pm
mad Stupid power steering pipes need replacing, about £300 new, but good old Hoseman is fixing them for £40 happy Thankyou!

I was gonna remove the power steering altogether but it would involve removing the steering rack too so sod that!

Update tomorrow smile

Note to self *BOLT CAM COVER ON PROPERLY*
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Mar 2010 8:58am

no

The only required mirror is a drivers side wing mirror.

However, if the vehicle is designed to have one, it should be fitted - this only applies to external mirrors, an interior rear view mirror is not required for an MOT.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Mar 2010 2:50pm
Anti roll bar link £3 @ LVW happy

Interiour mirror £2 @ Scrappy

New brake pipes made up.

Hi pressure power steering hose repair £30-£40 Hoseman!

Labour £70 (cba doin myself)
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Mar 2010 2:50pm
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Mar 2010 4:15pm
Lol, got this for it today, car already has a 4 branch manifold, i`ll be taking the cat, middle and back box off the exhaust and putting a straight through pipe on with this on the end of it.
Hopefully it will giva a nice bassy sound smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 7:51am
If i get these headlights will i be able to add a HID kit to them?

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 8:56am
raftl That exhaust is going to be very loud Id imagine omg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 10:23am

yes

A lot of housings say do not use HIDs as they can get too hot.

My lights work fine though
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 11:51am
Do you want to sell the exhaust pipery? Is that a standard backbox on it? I had a stainless system on mine which is too fricking loud.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 7:50pm
GRRR mad leaking caliper at the new brake line caused a halt on me taxing it today frown will be ready and taxed tomorrow already insured for £2500 lol laugh

Do you want to sell the exhaust pipery? Is that a standard backbox on it? I had a stainless system on mine which is too fricking loud.

What system was it and have you still got it?
We can do a deal?

Mine is a standard backbox, theres a second hand one on ebay for £90
About the catalytic convertor though i`ll have to keep it for next years mot unless you `borrow` it me back? lol laugh

Originally Posted by BMW Joe

yes

A lot of housings say do not use HIDs as they can get too hot.

My lights work fine though

Cheers joe happy

Originally Posted by StuyMac
raftl That exhaust is going to be very loud Id imagine omg

As long as it has bass i don`t give a hoot, but if it sounds raspy it will be removed grin

BAD

[youtube]XcP5Tn94Qec[/youtube]

GOOD

[youtube]ha98wLH6n1o[/youtube]
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2010 7:54pm
Ste the Vectra Facelift's come with Xenon hedlights which are plastic, some of the people on the owners site have used HID in them and they are ok.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Mar 2010 2:06am
cheers phil smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Mar 2010 1:08pm
What system was it and have you still got it?
We can do a deal?

It's Janspeed, it has a cat bypass pipe as well, it's still on the car. I think I just need a cat or a silencer in the middle, I'm just looking for a standard backbox. smile

Is 2,500 for the insurance alone?!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Mar 2010 11:04pm
It's Janspeed, it has a cat bypass pipe as well, it's still on the car.

What do you want for it?

Sell it to me please?????????
No the car is valued at £2500 (own valuation) , going to get it assessed properly once its finished.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Mar 2010 10:35pm
Grrr Dam electric substation in our yard blew up today so no electric until its fixed which means my MOT could not be printed out frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Mar 2010 9:45pm
Yerrr! Got MOT today, finally!
Running on trade plates until i tax it tomorrow grin

Start doing the bodywork over the weekend smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Mar 2010 1:58am
How much for a blag MOT eek

Bad joke lol, be good to see a Gsi saved from the crusher.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Mar 2010 8:12am
lol, funny thing is, i went to the garage in it yesterday and the dam exhaust snapped, i had to get it welded eek
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Mar 2010 11:11pm
lol laugh
accelerator keeps getting stuck and backbox removed as had slight blow at ubend.

Oil renewed today

Mp3 player fitted

Abs and traction control wiring ripped out on n/s/f driveshaft so lights on on clocks grrr mad i can see this costing me money!

Oh well i think its worth the hassle smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Mar 2010 11:21pm
Can you bypass the ABS and TC? Afterhall both arn't really needed. Just make sure you got good tyres lol.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Mar 2010 11:24pm
Can you bypass the ABS and TC? Afterhall both arn't really needed. Just make sure you got good tyres lol.

Not sure mate, i want the car to be right though to be honest, all tyres are brand new, that traction controls not needed anyway but think i need it working as it will bug me knowing its not, lol
smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Mar 2010 9:12am
Pull the bulbs out of the clocks wink

Or get more wiring from a scrapper - Im sure it will be the same as other Vauxhalls of that age smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Mar 2010 1:07am
VIOLET DO U WANT TO SELL ME YOUR EXHUAST OR NOT?

Need to know now before i goto LVW smile

My middle box is hanging off and the car sounds terrible, lol laugh
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Mar 2010 11:04am
Ha, didn't see this! I'll need it mate as it'll mean I'll have to buy another one! smile Have you still got the backbox?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Mar 2010 6:01pm
Ha, didn't see this! I'll need it mate as it'll mean I'll have to buy another one! smile Have you still got the backbox?

Yes Mate smile

Sorted out the accelerator problem (sticking) It turned out to have the wrong gasket which was hanging in the carb and jamming the throttle smile

Sorted!

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Apr 2010 3:52am
Well, removed all the thick layers of primer from the the vehicle, you can now see the extensive damage caused by little nitromorse and a jealous ex girlfriend (i got the car in this condition)! omg

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Apr 2010 3:53am
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Apr 2010 11:18am
Yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr laugh
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Apr 2010 1:12pm
Looks quite nice that after a wash!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 8th Apr 2010 7:38am
mad went to drop a little oil as it had to much in and the darn sump nut wouldne go back in! Damn thing was winding itself back in as i was trying to get it out!
anyroad, turns out it`s been helicoiled in the past!
Getting a bag of 10 14mx1.25 coils today, £6.50 from bestco happy
pics up soon, very laughable when you see the oil spill smirk
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 8th Apr 2010 2:53pm
Sumps are the same on every Vauxhall from that era. It's probably a good idea to change the sump gaskets now anyway as these engines always leak oil from here!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Apr 2010 12:09am
mad went to drop a little oil as it had to much in and the darn sump nut wouldne go back in! Damn thing was winding itself back in as i was trying to get it out!
anyroad, turns out it`s been helicoiled in the past!
Getting a bag of 10 14mx1.25 coils today, £6.50 from bestco happy
pics up soon, very laughable when you see the oil spill smirk
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Apr 2010 11:11am
I got a sump from the scrapyard at Indigo Business Park for 10 quid, they've got loads of Calibras in there with that engine. smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Apr 2010 5:10pm
Violet is that your Gsi I seen parked near the compound on that site?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Apr 2010 10:52pm
I got a sump from the scrapyard at Indigo Business Park for 10 quid, they've got loads of Calibras in there with that engine. smile

Its ok now although i may buy a spare smile

Currently looking at getting this mint bonnet as mine has rust underneath it frown

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Apr 2010 11:01am
Violet is that your Gsi I seen parked near the compound on that site?

No, that's been there for years, it's in Carver's yard (the coach company). The bloke in there is very unfriendy (or to put it another way, a complete arsehole) and wouldn't even tell me who owned it. It's rotten anyway.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Apr 2010 11:21am
Had a ride it this last night. Love it! Can't wait to see it back in it's full glory when Ste's finnished with it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 6:34pm
mad

No exhaust on it now so off the road AGAIN until i order it off ebay on tuesday!
Then i`ll have to wait for it to be delivered!

On a lighter note i have just bought this from Johnleatherfix for it, it`s getting fitted by our good friends at car connections on Monday grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WOOHOOO! laugh Also just won this bonnet on ebay for a mere £50 so no sweets for me this week, that was my sweet and beer money frown Will pick it up from Yorkshire on monday night methinks smile

[Linked Image] laugh

Violet, do you want the backbox?
Also need a price for your SS one mate wink
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 6:57pm
awww I wanted that base box, bet it will sound really good bud. Cras coming along well!
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 7:21pm
ste give us a shout i can wire these things up will sort oyu out smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 8:56pm
Haven't had time to even look at my car Ste, it's at my folk's house! Still want your old one off you though!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 9:01pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
awww I wanted that base box, bet it will sound really good bud. Cras coming along well!

I have a mate in work who knows someone who has one mate, i`ve already asked him to see how much it is as i was gonna buy it for my girls car but i think it`s too big for a ZR so i`ll pass it onto you bud, i have your number happy

Originally Posted by chris_gilly
ste give us a shout i can wire these things up will sort oyu out smile

Thanks chris for the offer but it`s already booked in at car connections, i know one of the lads there, costing £40 including the wiring kit etc so a bargain which i`m happy with.
The last one i fitted myself when i had my Probe 24V that was a nightmare as they have a built in amp but i sorted it in the end, couldn`t be arsed this time and the wiring kits are £35 i think.

Chris i`m looking for some deep dish rims for this, old skool ones like supaslots (like the ones on the schimiter GTE`s) giz a shout if you come across any please happy

Haven't had time to even look at my car Ste, it's at my folk's house! Still want your old one off you though!

Ok mate, just i`m gonna need it pretty soon as i`m ordering a de-cat pipe and straight thru middle pipe so will need a backbox deffo smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 9:18pm
the wiring kits are roughly £22 when i bought the last one i did about 2 weeks ago.

ok mate will keep my eyes pealed!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 9:22pm
the wiring kits are roughly £22 when i bought the last one i did about 2 weeks ago.

ok mate will keep my eyes pealed!

Cheers happy

I have a mate that needs an alarm wiring if your any good at that confused
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Apr 2010 9:34pm
love my lectric work!

id have to have a nose at the system before hand. smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Apr 2010 12:19am
Ok mate i`ll pass the message on wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 18th Apr 2010 12:37am
These are next on the list...

Don`t you just love Ebay grin
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:05pm
PECO IN BIRKENHEAD ARE FITTING A FULL STAINLESS SYSTEM STRAIGHT THROUGH INCLUDING DE-CAT AND BACKBOX FOR £180 NEXT WEEK.

smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:07pm
thought they went bankrupt? or moved
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:07pm
thought they went bankrupt? or moved
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:08pm
SO DId i mate confused

One of the lads in our yard sorted it for me, he said quite a few peeps thought they had moved, they are still there!
laugh
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:21pm
thats a bargain that for a full system!
nice one bud.

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 8:33pm
So did I? Sorry I couldn't get that backbox off mate! Peco are under-rated though.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Apr 2010 11:56pm
Its ok mate, i was gonna order a straight through pipe and de-cat off ebay for £120 and put your backbox on but when i got this offer i thought take it!
Full SS system, then respray, then lights smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Apr 2010 7:43pm
YeeHarrrr! Getting a new Windshield for £79 from Wirral Spares, proper one for the car (Green with blue tint visor) too grin

Just need my rubber inlet pipes as mine are split to the K&N and have tape around them! frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Apr 2010 7:52am
Sprayed my 17" wheels last night....

Just need to laquer them and throw some rubber on them yes?

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 27th Apr 2010 1:51am
Sprayed the spare wheel tonight, 2 hours but worth it methinks...

4 more to go omg

Let me know what you think smile

Oh yes, exhausts getting fitted in the morning at peco, twin exit maybe on the cards yes? think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Apr 2010 12:09am
Right, exhaust was fitted at Peco today, anyone wanting a SS exhaust custom made and fitted pm me as i can now get the cheap happy

Bonnet fitted also, you can see the damage to the underside of the original bonnet!
To much rust for my liking frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st May 2010 12:04am
Had fun with this last night, got a few tinnies and decided to fit new lights (as the old ones were crap and stonechipped to bits) and a new indicator.
Also sprayed the grill black to tidy it up a bit until its respray smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th May 2010 9:14pm
Was the bonnet off ebay?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th May 2010 10:52pm
Was the bonnet off ebay?

Yes mate, £50 plus £20 diesel to pick it up from west yorkshire smile

Sprayed my spare bonnet vents black yesterday and moved the air filter behind the grill for cooler air intake.

Pics up soon smile

VIOLET how much for that turbo engine?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th May 2010 11:24pm
I couldn't take less that 2k, sorry Someone spent a shite load of money on it at some point! I have no idea how much it's worth as it came in the car.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th May 2010 11:41pm
jesus wept man, i could buy a whole car for that omg
they`re only 200 bhp, think i`ll look for a scrap turbo or buy the kit for £700
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th May 2010 12:47pm
The engine is over 300bhp!
If you have a look on Migweb, there is someone from South America selling complete turbo kits for 700-800 quid. He's had loads of people buying off him and he's very reliable, it comes with a Garrett turbocharger and he makes the rest himself. I'll find the link after I've had a look.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th May 2010 12:59pm
Here's one for the pistons, etc:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/traders-forum/416424-trade-c20let-c20xe-rebuild-parts-more.html

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th May 2010 8:38pm
Thanks violet happy

By the way, need you to get this exhaust if you want it, need to tidy the garage smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th May 2010 12:02pm
Yeah, I'll come round next week to pick it up! wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th May 2010 11:00am
Originally Posted by DavidB
Yeah, I'll come round next week to pick it up! wink

moed air filter, removed cam cover as was rubbing on belts and rattling.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th May 2010 11:04am
powercap and non cosworth engineered head frown
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Jun 2010 8:17am
How much do you want for the backbox, I'll come down on Monday, should be 'OTR' this week.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Jun 2010 12:53pm
£20?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 8th Jun 2010 7:33pm
Yeah mate, is it in good nickage?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 8th Jun 2010 8:48pm
Yeah mate, is it in good nickage?

Check it yourself bud, whatever you think, theres a photo on this topic somewhere confused
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Jun 2010 7:01pm
A yeah, I've seen it. I'll come down in the week, probably tommorow actually!
You don't still have the original radio you don't want?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Jun 2010 7:24pm
A yeah, I've seen it. I'll come down in the week, probably tommorow actually!
You don't still have the original radio you don't want?

Yes, still have the original radio, i just threw an mp3 player in.

make me an offer and you can buy the whole car and all the bits wink
what you offering? never know,. i may just take it wink
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Jun 2010 8:24pm
You're selling the Astra now?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Jun 2010 11:34pm
long story and i`m very pissed off so tell you when i see you wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Jun 2010 11:49pm
Don't sell up mate, you are making great progress with this.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Jun 2010 8:32pm
Originally Posted by Waddi
Don't sell up mate, you are making great progress with this.

Not selling, just a mad moment.
Just needs respray and windshield to finish smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Jun 2010 9:09pm
Fancy a Superb GT Aggressor XC1 and £100 for the Astra.

Remember Keep fit then perv at the women on new brighton beach
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Jun 2010 9:23pm
Fancy a Superb GT Aggressor XC1 and £100 for the Astra.

Remember Keep fit then perv at the women on new brighton beach

Carn`t phil, sorry, this car owes me £1500 and once resprayed and new screen fitted £2000 so i`m keeping it.

smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Jun 2010 9:24pm
No worries mate, hope it all turns out well.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jun 2010 8:51am
Nice one on keeping it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Jun 2010 8:51pm
Nice one on keeping it.

Thanks Dave smile

Started stripping it ready for the respray the other day, swaped the 2 back windows for clear ones which are easyly removed due to being held in with 2 bolts.
Removed the side skirts, front & rear bumpers and grill.
Removed front and rear window rubbers and roof bar strips.

Need to remove door handles, front door rubbers, mirrors and cut the 2 quarter panels out (need to get 2 new ones 1st confused )

Oh, also put an old set of wheels on because i don`t want the original getting overspray on smile

Didn`t think it would cost so much, this owes £1500 upto now but its worth every penny, belive me wink

Anyone know where i can get new quarter panels from???
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Jun 2010 8:52pm
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Jun 2010 8:57pm
http://www.crashrepairparts.com/panels-lamps/parts/markid/813/vauxhall_astra_1991_1994_mk3
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Jun 2010 9:03pm

Thanks chris smile

Didn`t know i could buy a crossmember, how much would it cost to fit as mines goosed (talkin front of car ripped off if hit side on frown )
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Jun 2010 10:35pm
aparently on the book to remove and replace the front panel takes 7 hours! oshocked
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jun 2010 10:47am
It's spotwelded on! Is it loose?

Mine's got that little black bit in the middle as well:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jun 2010 11:19am
It's spotwelded on! Is it loose?

Mine's got that little black bit in the middle as well:

[Linked Image]

no dave, that bits fine, it`s underneath the car where i mean, theres 2 big black bars that connect to it, think they`re 18mm bolts and theres all corrosion around it, i`ll have to put a pic up or you can come down and take a look.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jul 2010 7:53am
The GSi has now gone for Respray! laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jul 2010 11:37am
grin YERRRRRRRRRR clap
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jul 2010 7:11pm
Nice one, how long will it take?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jul 2010 11:34pm
Nice one, how long will it take?

He said it will be ready next week dave smile

i told him to take his time as i want a good job (i have the task of rebuilding it)

Then the BMW is going for paint smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Aug 2010 12:09am
This should be ready (well painted by) wednesday next week, then it`s a case of putting it back together and getting the new screen fitted.
Been offered a set of deep dish alloys for it 17" but not sure as i don`t know if i`m selling it or not so that would be pretty pointless, heres the alloys (but in white with chrome dish) so will need spraying...

Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Aug 2010 2:38pm
as some lad from wallasey got that escort
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Aug 2010 3:29pm
Originally Posted by vw_kyle
as some lad from wallasey got that escort

Yes mate, his names lee, i`m thinking of buying it smile
Its a non runner atm due to elecy fault on the starter.

~Denno tho coz it`s only an rs turbo so slower than a granny running a marathon in slippers laugh
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Aug 2010 9:30pm
yeah know the lad my mate done welding on this replaced the back window pillar on it and adjusted the brackets for the lambo doors
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2010 9:10am
New arches are on smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2010 9:24am
Don't do it!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2010 9:39am
Originally Posted by Wheels
Don't do it!

Eh? confused
Don`t do what wheels?
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2010 10:45am
u got the motor back yet mate?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2010 4:45pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
u got the motor back yet mate?

Not yet davey, they have only just put the arches on, ready next week but thats what they keep saying frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 7:42pm
One arch is on, other still waiting mad
next week my ass frown
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 9:19pm
takes the p*ss how longs it been there for now?!
Posted By: spinking Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 9:52pm
Liking the possible rims
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 10:01pm
Who's doing the repairs?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 10:10pm
6 of those rims £100 if wanted with centrecaps.
theyv`e had it for about 6 weeks maybe?
christophf a polish fella is doing it but he`s good at his job.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Aug 2010 10:35pm
Hope he does the inside with etch primer and waxoil afterwards.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Aug 2010 7:36am
Hope he does the inside with etch primer and waxoil afterwards.

Yes he`s using waxoil, he didn`t mention etch primer though? think
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Aug 2010 12:59pm
Etch primer over bare metal makes sure if any rust is under there then it does not rust anymore.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Aug 2010 12:08pm
I've got an inner arch repair panel you can have (it's in the bin!), if you don't have one already!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Aug 2010 1:58pm
I've got an inner arch repair panel you can have (it's in the bin!), if you don't have one already!

that would be great dave, thanks, when can i come and pick it up?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Aug 2010 6:17pm
Anytime you want. I can leave it in the front garden by the gate, just nab it! It's only a small section, but if it'll help.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Aug 2010 6:26pm
Anytime you want. I can leave it in the front garden by the gate, just nab it! It's only a small section, but if it'll help.

Thanks dave, i`ll collect it later on happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Aug 2010 10:49am

Dave did you leave this?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Aug 2010 10:56am
I'll leave it today, it'll be by the gate, wasn't sure when you were coming. Just nab it. wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Aug 2010 3:12pm
I'll leave it today, it'll be by the gate, wasn't sure when you were coming. Just nab it. wink

thanks dave happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 12:48am
mad

Someones getting fooked up!!! mad

[youtube]JuPEHNAxDUc[/youtube]
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 2:01am
Wasn't this ment to be done now?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 4:09am
Wasn't this ment to be done now?

should of been ready bout a month ago, i told the fookin import to keep it in the garage too as bits would get nicked and guess what? bits have been nicked! Been checkin it everyday, dodging the prostitute and pimpin ... hangin around it.
Well now thats caused problems as the imports getting it and the nonces (you know who you are) that were warned did`nt listen.
Now theres gonna be riots and theres fook all to stop the mayham, not even the police can do shit!
Fookin rapist little gayboys, only a matter of time now wink
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 9:52am
gutted, whats been mooched?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 10:39am
gutted, whats been mooched?

the k&n and battery upto now thats all i noticed last night, the cars been left open with all the bits in it so fook knows what else?
4 lads were arrested apparently because they were `interfering` with it on saturday night.
2 scumbag,tramp,noncing dick heads were warned about touching this car when they were overheard planning on stealing the bits off it down the cruise at upton about 2-3 weeks ago, Obviously they haven`t listened.
When they get tracked down, them and their cars are getting wiped out, fooking hate thieving little tramps mad

Is this job too big for you chris?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 10:43am
what you need doing bud?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 10:49am
lol, the other arch welding on and it respraying, i`m taking it back off the painter that has it coz i`m sick of him going `it be ready next week` and also telling him not to leave it outside all open. The windshield was smashed couple of weeks ago, even though it had a crack it`s besides the point.
as you can see its all stripped and i`ll rebuild it.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 10:59am
the wheel arch is no probs, but TBH i wouldnt consider doing a full respray hear as i have no oven etc. i only do bits so i couldnt gaurentee it would be perfect and i wouldnt like to take the chance
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 11:03am
ok, i`ll have to decide what i`m doing chris
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 11:05am
no probs dude, as i said i can put the arch on and maybe coat it in primer all round but thats as far as id like to go
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 11:10am
ok mate no probs happy
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 1:26pm
Might know of a bodyshop in liverpool which could do a respray, will pm you his details.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 6:16pm
went to see him today, its had the rear quarter kicked in too, the bits are comin off the bill, friggin tax runs out tonight too!
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Aug 2010 6:29pm
takes the piss that, if i were you id be making the painters face marks on your quarters frown

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Sep 2010 12:59pm
Didn't you need a subframe? There's a brand new one here for 40 quid in Wrexham:

Link
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Sep 2010 4:08pm
No Dave, the subframes fine, it's the part it bolts to lol smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Sep 2010 9:26pm
Getting there...
Posted By: dave_g Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 26th Sep 2010 9:39pm
saw this on me way to work the other day,some effort goin into that!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Oct 2010 8:54am
Looking at Friday for this to be painted by now, the fellas really busy and on his own, any good sprayers out there want a job? Lol laugh
Posted By: spinking Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Oct 2010 12:16pm
pics arnt working for me?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Oct 2010 12:24pm
Originally Posted by spinking
pics arnt working for me?

Don't think they are working for anyone mate, mark doesn't like us using flickr or photobucket but due to upgrading the servers the photos have gone, I'll upload them again sometime lol laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Oct 2010 2:07pm
We're not supposed to use potatobucket? whoops...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Oct 2010 2:35pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
We're not supposed to use potatobucket? whoops...

I don't use photobucket, I upload them to the site just as mark asks in order to save any 'complications' so to speak laugh
It appears that is not the case now though eh mark? smirk

wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Oct 2010 12:06pm
JUST BOUGHT A SET OF RARE DEEP DISH CHROME RIMMED 17" ALLOYS WITH BRAND NEW TYRES FOR THIS BEAST smile
HAPPY DAYS laugh

this unfinished gsi now owes me £2150 lol, still needs a screen, ABS wiring and traction control wiring to complete, oh and not to mention new clips for the bodykit smile
Posted By: endoxr4x4 Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 12:07am
see ste you should of bought my 4be sierra didn't need anything doing just driving.lol
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 9:20am
Are you using the old wheels? laugh

It's a long, long time in the making this!
A bloke who lives in Neston did this in his garage, you should get the Rieger kit on!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Build thread
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 9:26am
All in good time Dave, just want it back tbh, I'll do more to it next year but I'm keeping the original wheels so I can mix n match lol laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 5:35pm
Starting to paint this tonight laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 5:52pm
Starting to paint this tonight laugh

clap Excellent!!! clap
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 11:12pm
bowt time! frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 14th Oct 2010 11:51pm
lol, am not assed, i have the other car and i wanna nova or another xr2 mk2 as well, lol smile

grrrr, probe jase, probe! frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Oct 2010 11:28pm
JUST BOUGHT A SET OF RARE DEEP DISH CHROME RIMMED 17"

smile

Need painting black methinks in the middle confused

Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Oct 2010 11:55pm
oshocked nice,

cant help notice the M badge? off a bimmer?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Oct 2010 7:31am
oshocked nice,

cant help notice the M badge? off a bimmer?

grin yes mate, off an E30 325 sport, my mates just got a nice set of alpinas so wouldn't be using these again, hopefully they will look ok on the Astra. eek

Just need to paint em black and polish the rims up smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Oct 2010 6:16pm
Right, almost ready, few more bits need doing.
Need to take rear windows and windshild out.
Needs the preping finishing off.
Paint laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Oct 2010 6:30pm
Also, to break up the red a bit i`m doing some parts black, these can easiely be changed if needs be with spares, ie: black to red, easily swapable when i wish smile

These parts i sprayed myself the other night in the garage with a few beers yerrrr! grin

Then completed the job once the paint had hardened in work using p1200 wet n dry, g3, a buffing head and a polishing head and wax smile

This was done using £2.25 cans of gloss black and clear laquer smile

This cost me approx £8 and a little time wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Oct 2010 6:34pm
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Oct 2010 11:41pm
Yerrrrrrr its getting there are kid...
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Oct 2010 11:45pm
Did you spray them? G3 is great!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Nov 2010 12:03am
Originally Posted by _jase_
Yerrrrrrr its getting there are kid...

Yerrr happy

Did you spray them? G3 is great!!

Yes mate, did it in the garage on wednesday night, had a few beers to help my patience, lol, you know how long it takes buddy wink
Then left it for a few days to harden before sanding & polishing it smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Nov 2010 8:40am
Lookin' good smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Nov 2010 2:28am
mad

I took this back from the spray shop with the spare keys before!

*A BIG THANKYOU TO DIGGING DEEPER FOR YOUR HELP*

This vehicle is on SORN and they left it outside with no back windows in it all open mad
It was just waiting for someone to throw a firework in or set on fire! Had enough, going to finish it myself now, i have all the equipment in work, just don`t know how to mix the paint?
Getting the rest of the kit and bumpers tomorrow and they can whistle for any more money snob

For some UNKNOWN reason the engine sounds REALLY tappety yet it was fine when it went in there, will have to check it tomorrow.

DAVE empty your Pm box mate, need to speak to you!!!

Will NOT recommend these painters to anyone now and will never use again! Pisstake!!!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Nov 2010 3:42am
Pisstake.

Take it you have halogen heaters in work? or a blower heater, just make sure you water the floor before you spray.

Also what paint you using?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Nov 2010 9:33am
What paint shop was it?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Nov 2010 6:38pm
Pisstake.

Take it you have halogen heaters in work? or a blower heater, just make sure you water the floor before you spray.

Also what paint you using?
What paint shop was it?

Looks like someone from the car hospital is gonna finish it off.

It was the one on Cleveland st
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Nov 2010 10:08pm
to mix the paint its 2 parts paint, 1 part activator 10% thinners, if it reacts use anti bloom thinners, thats for most 2 pack base coats

prob tappity due to it being sat up the hydraulic shims need to adjust, check the oil level and just leave it to idle smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Nov 2010 12:29am
mad This vehicle is on SORN and they left it outside with no back windows in it all open mad
Unbelievably worse - it turns out they left the keys in the car - total planks!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Nov 2010 5:55am
to mix the paint its 2 parts paint, 1 part activator 10% thinners, if it reacts use anti bloom thinners, thats for most 2 pack base coats

prob tappity due to it being sat up the hydraulic shims need to adjust, check the oil level and just leave it to idle smile

Cheers chris happy
Yes, spoke to Les down our yard, he said give an oil change and flush the engine and it will be fine, got 25 litres of contaminated petrol in the garage so will probs sort it over the weekend smile

mad This vehicle is on SORN and they left it outside with no back windows in it all open mad
Unbelievably worse - it turns out they left the keys in the car - total planks!!!

smack Yes and we went home to get the spare set of keys doh!
Wouldn`t of been too bothered but £2150 is a bit too much to loose!
The guy even came the yard and didn`t even mention the car had gone missing to me! (i hid it to see if he`d say anything), he went through my boss and asked him what to do! lol. I went there after work and told him he still owes me an air filter and he asked why i took the car!!! lol laugh Unbelieveable!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Nov 2010 3:09pm
Flush it properly with that Winn's engine stuff, you'll find these engine tap and get quite noisy as they get older. It's well worth giving the head a good cleanout while it's off the road, it'll make a huge difference.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Nov 2010 12:44pm
IIRC engine flush is just paraffin - just add some of that to the old oil if you have some kicking round.

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Nov 2010 2:07pm
Is it? I never knew! It's 5 quid for a little tin!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Nov 2010 12:48pm
This car is now being finished at the car hospital.
Feel like giving up frown
Thing owes ne a fortune now frown
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Nov 2010 1:52pm
how much is that setting you back bud?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Nov 2010 2:35pm
how much is that setting you back bud?

£400, I've already paid the other painters £300 mad

I know one of the painters from there.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Nov 2010 8:21pm
gutted for you mate, I thought you were a good sprayer your self going by the spoiler you did. Deffo meet up soon for a spin in each others cars, and on that note you cant give up now!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Nov 2010 2:50am
Here's those brake pad sensors that went on yours:

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Astra3_Brakes.html
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Nov 2010 8:39am
Cheers dave happy

Blackened the roof lining...
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Nov 2010 8:24pm
Is that sprayed? I had a pair of black sunvisors out of an Astra cabriolet that'd go well.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Nov 2010 10:02pm
Is that sprayed? I had a pair of black sunvisors out of an Astra cabriolet that'd go well.

Yes it is but you cannot tell smile
Are you selling the visors?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Nov 2010 10:22pm
doesnt it feel rough ste?

i painted some carpet on my old speakers with spray and they were hard as sh*t!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 2:53am
doesnt it feel rough ste?

i painted some carpet on my old speakers with spray and they were hard as sh*t!

No mate, you brush in-between coats smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 9:25am
wink The man knows the tricks....
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 9:29am
Forgive my ignorance... Is this a some kind of fabric spray paint?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 10:56am
No Phil it's satin black lol laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 11:00am
and brushing inbetween coats prevents stiffness?... interesting.
and like a chump I've just shelled out on a new bedroom carpet! idiot
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 11:05am
Phil I use this paint on carpets in the vans at work, it will eventually fade so is no good for household carpets, how often do you touch your headlining though? That won't fade wink

There is dye you can get but it proves expensive and the fumes are very toxic.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 11:15am
lol. I was only joking about my house carpet.

I rarely touch my headling... however my mate spiderman I can't keep him off it!

Cheers Ste - a tip I shall remember but probably never put into practice!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Nov 2010 12:11pm
Lol, only reason I done it is because I've stripped the whole car otherwise I wouldn't of bothered smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Nov 2010 7:55pm
Small update, car is now painted.
Going to take 2 days of rubbing down and polishing off.

its had 8 coats of paint, lol smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Nov 2010 8:43pm
Your windows look a bit dirty raftl
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Nov 2010 8:31am
Why did you paint it pink? wink
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Nov 2010 8:58am
raftl

C'mon Ste, get the masking off - we wanna see the finished job smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Nov 2010 9:08pm
bumpers were put on today and car was buffed, as long as the weathers dry tomorrow its coming back to work were it will be kept in a garage undercover until it is well enough to go back on the streets.

pics up tomorrow (i haven`t seen it yet) smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Nov 2010 9:53am
Pics please smile
Posted By: spinking Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Nov 2010 10:09pm
8 coats nice
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Nov 2010 10:29pm
It looks ace, is the red you wanted or the standard red?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Nov 2010 3:02pm
looking good cool get yeah pics up ste. camera
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 25th Nov 2010 3:17pm
joyride camera
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 9:51am
???????? think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 10:37am
lol laugh

picking it up at 12:30pm today smile

Then its going to my work, carpets being removed and getting dyed black (with the missuses hair dye shh )
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 11:19am
Lol!! laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 8:33pm
Couldne be assed takin the carpet out today, will do another day, had to tidy the garage to make room for the vehicle smile

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 8:42pm
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 10:43pm
Wow, that looks brilliant compared to the last time I saw it when it was getting dragged around by a paltry Corsa wink
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 28th Nov 2010 11:37pm
Lookin good Ste.... smile

Is that dirt on the front screen or does it need a new 'un?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 29th Nov 2010 8:13am
Lol, it needs a new screen as that ones smashed to bits smile

Thanks Andy.
laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 29th Nov 2010 8:38am
thumbsup looking good!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Nov 2010 12:41am
Engines stopped making that awful tapping noise (left it on idle for a bit), had a quick blast, man i`ve missed this car, i have only used this for about 2 months after i mot`d and taxed it frown
Still a fair bit to do yet smile

[youtube]incPnLFYGYU[/youtube]
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Dec 2010 4:53pm
shiny happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Dec 2010 11:56pm
Its getting there Ste smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 2nd Dec 2010 5:22pm
cheers guys, its in the garage undercover for now until i can sort it out smile ....

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Dec 2010 3:45am
WooHoo! Think I may of found a new project car, (if I can get the guy to part with it) it's an RS1600 Escort MK3, looks all original, still has it's alloys, got no eyes in it though, hopefully all the parts are there smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Dec 2010 2:24pm
Description: Undercover

Thanks, I wasn't sure what was going on there happy

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Dec 2010 12:48am
With being rather busy in work atm i don`t get much time to spend on this vehicle, i decided to sort the door speakers out as they were goosed due to the door panels being removed and tbh needed upgrading anyway.
You cannot just throw new speakers in as they hit the window runners, i had to cut the old speakers out of the docking pods with a hot knife and insert the new ones in otherwise they would not fit.
Also decided to keep the wheel off the bmw and stick it on this car, slight modification was needed to get the horn working.. i took the original plastic indicator return washer off the gsi steering wheel and adapted it to the momo vauxhall boss as this was also the live feed for the horn. (theres nothing worse than your indicators failing to return), i mthen took the earth wire from the gsi wheel, added a spade connector and wired it up. This wheel is more comfortable and modernises the interiour slightly smile

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Dec 2010 12:52am
Probably bringing the car home in the next couple of days to finish off in the garage because the garage at work has started leaking water and i don`t get much time to do anything to it there.
smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Dec 2010 8:44am
ste you can buy the actual speaker adapters for these, halfrauds stock them but they want £20 a set with a wiring kit, however i guess ebay will sell them smile

i had to get a set a while back for my corsa
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Dec 2010 11:27am
ste you can buy the actual speaker adapters for these, halfrauds stock them but they want £20 a set with a wiring kit, however i guess ebay will sell them smile

i had to get a set a while back for my corsa

smack well i never knew that! If i`d of known at the time i would of just went out and got a set, damn frown

Oh well, killed a bit of time i guess, lol smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Dec 2010 5:24pm
De-badged the grill and sprayed it black.

sprayed the rear lights black until i get the black LED ones from germany! (i still have the original rear gsi clusters).

Currently spraying the window wiper mech cover that sits under the window black to match smile

*NOTE* didnt realise until i put the grill on that the headlights are different, the ones i have put on are from a 1.4L, the GSi ones are slightly different so the old original ones will have to go on until i get the new ones from germany.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Dec 2010 9:41am
It's like a red mirror! thumbsup
Posted By: sean Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Dec 2010 1:05pm
looking good that
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 22nd Dec 2010 2:02pm
Headlights are different because of the V-grille (94-98)and earlier grille (91-93) are different shapes. wink Just get a headlight off a J-L reg car, this type:

[Linked Image]

Not this type:

[Linked Image]

Bit soft considering it's just 2 cm?!

Paint looks lovely!
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Dec 2010 11:44pm
Hi there. Been looking through this post as used to love the gsi's (still do) and enjoying following your great progress. But are you leaving al the black bits (spoiler vents grill) in black? Just thought they made it look a bit "boy racer using cheap bits" to be honest.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 24th Dec 2010 10:50pm
No chief I have duplicate parts to swap when I need em, also have the original alloys which I'm using on my corsa at the moment.
Spraying the grill black was lazyness on my behalf.
All parts are original. (apart from the steering wheel).
smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 10:15am
Grrrrrrrrrrr mad
Went to vauxhalls yesterday, got 2 new badges, 16 new clips (for bodykit) and a jetwasher nozzle (for rear spoiler) which came to £50. Fair enough, I knew the badges would be costly but had to have them.
What annoyed me was the rear bumper number plate lights were £18.95 EACH! Sod that!
Also, they don't stock or make the foglamps anymore or the front headlamp spray nozzles and the darn leads I need for the traction control & abs can only be bought if buying a whole new loom for the car!!! omg surely that carnt be right?
Fumin! frown
Got anew screen and mirror fitted for the t of £95 thanks to the lads at Wirral spares laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 11:32am
He hasn't got time for that summer. He's got his car to sort...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 11:37am
He hasn't got time for that summer. He's got his car to sort...

withthat

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 12:09pm
Lol laugh
Well this owes me £2900 now and still counting, oh and just bought 4 tins of gloss black for a tenner so £2910 lol laugh
Not assed though because I'm keeping it smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 5:15pm
What annoyed me was the rear bumper number plate lights were £18.95 EACH! Sod that!

The rear bumper lights are the same as the Calibra bumper lights. There's a couple of them in Queensferry scrappy on Welsh Road/A550. wink
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 5:52pm
You can see them here:

[Linked Image]

They are shite, they seem to go yellow and break when you take them out.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 9:18pm
Thanks for that dave, appreciate that happy
Only want new ones due to the old ones being yellow (as you said) frown

Do you know where I could get my abs and tc leads from?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 11:24pm
Abs...

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/p...62&vid=11&ecode=70&cont=true

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 12th Jan 2011 11:29pm
Just get an ABS sensor off any 90's Vectra/Astra mk3. 50 quid is a lot!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Jan 2011 5:38am
Phil it's not the abs sensor it's the wire loom which goes from it to the main loom (detachable wire with socket at each end) the brakes are spot on including abs and the traction controls working perfect (until the wire wrapped around driveshaft due to being loose) frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Jan 2011 6:00am
Or what I should say is the brakes are still spot on but the abs and Tc lights on the dash are pissing me off. laugh
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Jan 2011 9:11am
Detatch the sensor and spray WD40 on the connection, do the MK3 have ABS rings like the Vectra? Are these corroded?
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Jan 2011 9:12pm
Did I see you roaring round liscard this evening?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Jan 2011 9:34am
Detatch the sensor and spray WD40 on the connection, do the MK3 have ABS rings like the Vectra? Are these corroded?
Theres nothing wrong with the brakes, the wire has ripped out and vauxhalls wouldnt sell me another one! frown

Originally Posted by Wiggi77
If the car sounded like a rally car yes but i don`t roar around, could`nt put my foot down in a built up area even if i wanted too, exhausts too loud.
lol.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Jan 2011 10:13am
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
If the car sounded like a rally car yes but i don`t roar around, could`nt put my foot down in a built up area even if i wanted too, exhausts too loud.
lol.

ill vouch for that, never heard one like it
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 16th Jan 2011 10:24am
Lol. You were going slow at the time. But there was a police van going past at same time lol. It looks better in real life than in the pics, the black parts do actually look good!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 17th Jan 2011 11:26am
lol.

ill vouch for that, never heard one like it

You should of heard my probe lmao!!!! raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 4th Mar 2011 11:08am
What's the performance like on these?

I know the redtop develops about 150bhp, I imagine it's a bit of fun to chuck about when sorted?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 13th Mar 2011 12:39pm
Originally Posted by Alex85
What's the performance like on these?

I know the redtop develops about 150bhp, I imagine it's a bit of fun to chuck about when sorted?

It's alright, nothing special but is quiete quick, I don't know what the bhp of this is or if anything in the engines been modded when it was rebuilt but it does perform well with a lot of newer cars.
I'm going to do a c20let conversion on it at some point then it will be in another territory.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Apr 2011 9:33pm
Err yeah, well discovered an air leak t other day and ive quick fixed it with an old rubber innertube until i get the new oval shaped powercap hose off ebay for £17, much quicker now.
Polished it for the 1st time since i`ve had it today, also polished the custom sprayed original wheels which i`ve put back on it as the other ones couldn`t get traction and they were pissing me off wheel spinning all the time. (Traction control is temporaliy disabled due to a wire missing).

When i give this car a little abuse it seems that the clutch is starting to slip, annoying really as i don`t really want to put one in it until i take the engine out for my black SXi, it`s hardly noticable really, just me being fussy but it can wait until it`s engine change.

I have now put all the interiour in apart from the 2 rear side panels and rear seats, the whole of the inside is now BLACK, i hate any other colour on the inside, it should be black in all cars but thats my own personal opinion.
I do need to dye the carpet though.

I have the original sales brochour for this car, its BHP is

BHP 150 Its a lot more than that now.
Top speed 137 MPH
0-62 8 secs
I`d say it was 7 to 60 atm, really, i`m not joking, this thing flys.

Still on the lookout for a C20LET but would rather get a complete car so i can dismantle it myself, also, that way i would more than likely get the 7 speed box with it.

Pics
Posted By: Wheels Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 20th Apr 2011 9:57pm
I love this car man, not sure about the wheels tho. Old School kool smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 21st Apr 2011 8:48am
cooool! I quite like those wheels
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Apr 2011 6:30pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
not sure about the wheels tho.

Yer, he's a bit dodgy is that wheels!!

tease

Looks stunning that Ste mate, a lot of hard work and effort gone into it, certaily worth it though! Impressive!!
Posted By: SwedishDreamBoat Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Apr 2011 7:40pm
Good effort on the work you've put into it, done a great job, keep at it.

I cant see it being 7s to 60. Mk2 Astra GTE weighs 1022kg and the later 1032kg and does 0-60 in 7.3s
Mk3 Astra GSi is around 100kg heavier, and your clutch is slipping tease

I wouldn't judge a cars performance on 0-60 anyway.

Posted By: poodlepup Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Apr 2011 7:47pm
Nice work Ste,she's looking good!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 8:40am
Right it's been a while since I done any work on this here vehicle and at the mo it's just sitting in work doing nothing.

The time has come to do a turbo conversion and for this I will be using a SAAB as a donor vehicle (SAAB 93 & 900 are a vauxhall Astra mk3) only problem I will come across is the SAAB uses a speed sensor for the ECU which in turn controls the engine, if that isn't fitted correctly the engine won't run properly but not everything in life is so easy eh?
We can only try! laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 11:23am
YeeeeHarrrr! My donor car will be here in about an hour laugh
Pics up later.

Saab 95 aero hot

2.3 turbo with 5 speed box, 250BHP standard laugh
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 11:32am
Nice one babe!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 11:58am
Good news. Great engine, shame they put it in the dull as dish water Saab. Hope you can do something decent with it!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 8:30pm
Cheers guys.

Here is the donor car, bit of a shame as it still has MOT until December but oh well. It also had 11 months tax but the guy wanted another £200 for that lol.
This car has mad seats which have fans in to keep yo ass cool, lol.
Also got a spare turbo and manifold with it smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 8:41pm
Nice conversion Ste, but the 250bhp lump only came about at the end of the production run, late 2001 until the finish. May be a 220 or 230bhp motor depending on its acutal production date though smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 30th Jul 2011 11:43pm
Nice conversion Ste, but the 250bhp lump only came about at the end of the production run, late 2001 until the finish. May be a 220 or 230bhp motor depending on its acutal production date though smile

It has a 2003 engine in but the turbo has been replaced with the original engines turbo (hence the spare turbo apparently), if i put this turbo on it the car will need remapping as its the original ECU still on the car????
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Jul 2011 7:34am
No idea what made the power difference.

May be map on the ECU and more boost. May be a bigger turbo? Bigger intercooler? Different inlet / exhaust designs....

There is bound to be a Saab owners club out there that will know wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Jul 2011 12:05pm
No idea what made the power difference.

May be map on the ECU and more boost. May be a bigger turbo? Bigger intercooler? Different inlet / exhaust designs....

There is bound to be a Saab owners club out there that will know wink

The turbo is bigger.

Think ive fooked up and bought the wrong car, lol, there is no reference to anybody using a saab 9-5 engine even though they look the same.
i`ll have to have a word with this nigel pumford guy, he has done the 2.0 litre turbo conversion.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Jul 2011 4:15pm
You should have the B235e engine in your Saab, whilst I also can't find anyone slapping it in a GSI, there is possibly some good news.

A Saab that has a B235E seems to accept a B234 engine, implying they are interchangeable.

B234 engines have definitely been fitted in Astras.

The B234 is the preferred engine because it is stronger than the B235.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Jul 2011 6:15pm
You should have the B235e engine in your Saab, whilst I also can't find anyone slapping it in a GSI, there is possibly some good news.

A Saab that has a B235E seems to accept a B234 engine, implying they are interchangeable.

B234 engines have definitely been fitted in Astras.

The B234 is the preferred engine because it is stronger than the B235.

smack just messaged Nigel pumford, he's confirmed I've bought the wrong car so this one is up for sale or swop for a 2.0litre turbo Saab 900 or early 9-3, this Saab has Mot until December and every available extra.

Your right dd, he said I could fit this engine but it would be a pain to do and it isn't as strong as the older 2.0litre engine. frown

My fault for rushing into it lol, I want to start doing it as soon as omg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 31st Jul 2011 6:33pm
Yes, probably better to change your mind now, the B235E ecu has torque sensing (trionic?), even more sensors to go wrong.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 1st Aug 2011 6:10am
This is the engine I need (note the same layout as the mk3 Astra)...

[Linked Image]

Astra GSi engine bay....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Sep 2011 1:30am
Hmmm, seems as i bought the wrong model of saab for the engine i`m keeping the saab i bought because it`s fast as f**k and i`ll be taxing this GSi in the next couple of weeks.

Bit slow on the modding side of things now as i`m supposed to be getting an E30 2.5iS for the volvo so i have 3 cars to mod.

Saab will be getting a custom exhaust by peco with removeable de-cat like this but it will be built for power insterad of noise.

smile

Does anyone else on here actually bother modding anymore or is it just me???

Remember how wikiwirral started eh? wink
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Sep 2011 7:30am
Used to love it Mr Ste. Now I'm all about modding my house!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Sep 2011 8:48am

Oh No Ste, there are a few of us still at it wink

Ive just moved house so thats taken up a bit of my time recently, and I need to update my race car thread as she has had a few things done recently, inc new cams, mappable ECU and has all been setup on the rolling road wink
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 9th Sep 2011 8:55am
I think the kids buy new or newish cars nowadays as a status thing.

I've got another Astra which needs loads of work, but it's finding time and money.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Sep 2011 10:14pm

Oh No Ste, there are a few of us still at it wink

Ive just moved house so thats taken up a bit of my time recently, and I need to update my race car thread as she has had a few things done recently, inc new cams, mappable ECU and has all been setup on the rolling road wink
Excellent news stu you have a real nice car there, love it
happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 10th Sep 2011 10:14pm
I think the kids buy new or newish cars nowadays as a status thing.

I've got another Astra which needs loads of work, but it's finding time and money.
what model is it dave?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 5th Oct 2011 9:23pm
Damn this cars just sitting in the yard at work so i think i`ll have to tax it and start using it again for a few months to give it a bit of a run.

Having an old E30 project on the go atm this will have to be put on hold unless a SAAB 900\9000 comes available for the engine swap.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Feb 2012 6:41pm
mad My amp blew today, turns out a resistor has burnt out, sounded terrible.

SS Radio tommorrow for a couple of higher wattage ones smile

Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 3rd Feb 2012 6:43pm
Told ya mine is the same

Problem is there old now

Was ok in there to time
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2012 2:47pm
This failed it's MOT today, best behave or i'll get rid mad
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 15th Mar 2012 2:57pm
frown
Twunt car !
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2012 5:20pm
This cars now up for swaps smile
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2012 5:21pm
How much you want cash ?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 19th Aug 2012 5:25pm
This cars now up for swaps smile
Originally Posted by Sarah_ZR
How much you want cash ?

none swap only xr2 nova xr3 gte xr2 xr2 xr2 xr2 or xr2 ect

OH, or a golf mk1 gti or clipper convert cheers grin
Posted By: SwedishDreamBoat Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 6th Jan 2013 9:59pm
Done anything to this ste? You still have the car I notice.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 7th Jan 2013 10:58am
Originally Posted by SwedishDreamBoat
Done anything to this ste? You still have the car I notice.

No bud although it will be getting a new clutch kit fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Not for swaps now as I've got a mk1 golf GTi.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SwedishDreamBoat Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 11th Jan 2013 9:38pm
I wasn't interested in swapping for it, merely curious as to how it is doing laugh Good to see it around.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Jul 2013 2:38pm
MOT time again! Went to tax it before and realised the MOT has ran out, booked in for thursday laugh

I KNOW its gonna pass as it has hardly been anywhere since i last MOT'd it grin
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Jul 2013 2:58pm
MOT time again! Went to tax it before and realised the MOT has ran out, booked in for thursday laugh

Don't forget to take stockings of lights before mot lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Ste : Astra GSi Redtop - 23rd Jul 2013 3:20pm
Originally Posted by Willo_

Don't forget to take stockings of lights before mot lol

Lol, ripped half off already, just checked and i have done under 2000 miles since last MOT.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral