Forums
Posted By: placidmaster placidmaster : BMW740il - 4th Feb 2008 5:47am
wow isnt gas expensive in this country lol, 4 litre v8 gas guzzling heavily modified S.A.M.E.R.V (South African Medical Emergerncy Response Vehicle) a.k.a capetownchaos. When i suss the pics upload thing I will gladly show it off, P.S i work for Medicin Sans Frontier hence my car being here in the uk at the mo and have many links to the Wirral.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: placidmaster drives a 740il BMW - 4th Feb 2008 6:02am
Sounds fun to drive... can't wait to see the pics lol!

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 4th Feb 2008 9:51am
Wow Sounds BIG.

Click on the "Switch to Full Reply"

This link may help too Click me
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 5th Feb 2008 5:37am
big thanks to Mark for helping with pics upload, nice one fella
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 5th Feb 2008 5:41am
oh and for the none speakin dutch (afrikaans and dutch is widely used in Zuid Africa) one side of the bonnet says 'emergency doctor' and the other side is the same in Dutch ' Noodsituatie Arts' just incase u wondered. and yes it has the flashy lights front and back and siren for scaring old ladies lol!! (lightbulb moment) might make a video for those who like this sort of thing!!
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 5th Feb 2008 5:44am
oh if anyone is interested in the mods i will happily tell all or just look at the pics for me, either way I am easy
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 5th Feb 2008 11:25am
Give us a list of them.

Would make interesting reading.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 5th Feb 2008 12:10pm
withthat
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 6:04am
Most mods for those asking will best be listed as performance then added 'extras'

As u folks know the 7 is mainly ran by computers so most mods are laptop induces with som mechanical changes.

chip upgrade and complete remap of 'brain' output now 495 BHP

suspension is electronically dampened and thus automatically ajustable, this is automatically set into sports mode (30 cm drop) when either the sports button is pressed or the strobes or siren is activated.

ATC gearbox remapped to allow for more engine braking when brake pedal is tapped (knocks it down 1 or 2 cogs) 'automatic'

bilstein shox all round and poly bushes to stiffen the ride when needed

manual overide switch installed to completely disable the traction control for when the urge to shit ones pants in required!

aftemarket rad and fan fitted (South African climate issues addressed)

Cat removed to allow zorst gases thru faster

Full zorst system replaced now taking gases away from each bank of four cylinders seperately to allow engine to breath better.

Tarox discs and pads all round to ensure stoppimg performance equivalent to hitting a tree.

cosmetically all windowns limo tinted due to nature of vehicle use (windscreen tint removed for uk use) side and back windows still tinted.

wheels upgraded to deep dish units for cooking pizza in and riding on pirelli asimo 245's at £210 a corner.

'extras'

150 watts whelan siren unit with wail, yelp, piercer, two tone and air horn sounds (http://www.fedsig.com/multimedia/sirens/?id=114) on this site if u wanna entertain the kids lol

Visor strobes, wig wags (makes headlights flash alternatavely) fitted to front headlights and rear foglights also green and blue strobes inside back window and scrolling led message board with programmed messages

various medical equipment, oxygen, defib unit etc etc

uprated satnav, radio comms unit, Snooper and cctv (4) which has a romote dial into option for if car is out of view on site in 'rough areas' i can call it up on my mobile and 'look from inside' to check all is ok.

they say a picture says it all, mine says
Lifesaver, fooking move!

the technical term for upgrades to my car are best described as

It squats and fooks off
Posted By: StuyMac Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 8:07am
Originally Posted by placidmaster
chip upgrade and complete remap of 'brain' output now 495 BHP

Was it your 'brain' they remapped to make you think it was 495bhp raftl

Id love to know where more than 200bhp comes from with a remap raftl
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 12:24pm
hmm...stuy does have a point..200bhp on a remap..doubt it!
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 12:27pm
Tarox discs and pads all round to ensure stoppimg performance equivalent to hitting a tree.

raftl
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 12:28pm
even an old 760 only had 445 bhp...a remap might just push that to 495 bhp!
sorry old chap....
Posted By: MrPhil Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 12:56pm
Originally Posted by Cali_16v

raftl

so you have 388mm discs with 8pots doh
Posted By: Sanchez Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 5:21pm
ah come on guy's, give him a chance, do you all not remember when i changed the oil cap on my car from a fatory on to a shiney fake mugan one, and my bhp went up from 115 to 420.

I think his figures are realisttic !
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 5:27pm
raftl

Andy, where do i get me one of them oil caps.

you got any magic washer fluid ???
Posted By: Sanchez Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 8:05pm
lol, sure, £5000 per ltre
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 6th Feb 2008 8:13pm
ha ha
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 7th Feb 2008 4:58am
its on its 3rd engine mind u
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 7th Feb 2008 5:02am
now now boys and girls its all bmw dealer 'reworks' children, call them for more details, just because some of you are 4 cylinders short of an engine theres no need to be like that!! and as for costs, i would never get back what's been paid into it but thats not what its about
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 7th Feb 2008 5:06am
oh one thing more, do you folks have like a meet up local place every now and then, where the police leave you alone and just let you have the place to yourselves for the day, i wouldnt mind seeing some of your motors and how they are coming along??? ps whens that 200sx coming along??
Posted By: MattLFC Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 7th Feb 2008 5:27am
we have a meet tomorrow night at the Rock in Birkenhead, but we only have it once a month.

Sometimes the police turn up, but they are part of the meet wink wink

We don't tend to have meet's in the daytimes although we do sometimes have a BBQ in the summer.

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 7th Feb 2008 10:05am
now now boys and girls its all bmw dealer 'reworks' children, call them for more details, just because some of you are 4 cylinders short of an engine theres no need to be like that!! and as for costs, i would never get back what's been paid into it but thats not what its about

Lol calm down, calm down.

Its just that you get lots of wild power claims from owners, and I find it very hard to see how the std 286bhp 740i can be remapped to 495bhp....

Esentially an M5 is remapped and runs a different ECU set up in "M" mode, thats a V10, 5.0, runs throttle bodies and is 15 years newer and that only makes 500bhp....

To see 500bhp from the V8, Id expect twin turbos or a supercharger, but theres no way it makes 495bhp with a filter, exhaust and remap - provide a Rolling road report however, and Ill humbly eat my words - id expect to see 300-320, maybe smile

BTW, its not a 200SX wink tease
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 11th Feb 2008 7:43am
i am so there this summer. is new brighton always on and do they still have them arcades with the planes you pull on the lever of to go up and down or am i really showing my age.
as for the car i have one of those dyno road test sheet thingys somewhere and i will dig it, out as for the work, bmw do it all as PMA ( a huge South African drugs company ) sponsor our vehicles and pay for all the work but it has to be all Beemer for the warranty ( i put the tarox discs on tho myself ), I have various bits of paper that if i can get my scanner to work with vista I will be more than happy to put on here showing some of the engine mods (I know bits but not all, I fix people lol) showing things like gas flowing the heads (????) replacement ecu and chip (i guess thats the brain) skimming the heads and boring of the cylinders and ceramically coating the bores and cylinders (can someone explain what this does to me, i have not got a fooking clue) as for the brakes my mistake, the discs are tarox but i dont know who the calipers are by ,could be beemer. Shows the cost on these as well and it rather scary lol on this engine alone its had over 83000 rand spent so in english i guess that is about 5100 pounds give or take. I will get my scanner sorted and get stuff posted and i look forward to meetin folks in the summer, Back home to France for a month on the 24th then pretoria for a sun tan and a chance for the car to go home. take care all and i will get them things to you as soon as i can
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 13th Feb 2008 9:21pm
time for work, fun and games

[youtube]9Ov-tzpQjSY[/youtube]
Posted By: bigcos Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 13th Feb 2008 10:31pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

Lol calm down, calm down.

Its just that you get lots of wild power claims from owners, and I find it very hard to see how the std 286bhp 740i can be remapped to 495bhp....

Esentially an M5 is remapped and runs a different ECU set up in "M" mode, thats a V10, 5.0, runs throttle bodies and is 15 years newer and that only makes 500bhp....

To see 500bhp from the V8, Id expect twin turbos or a supercharger, but theres no way it makes 495bhp with a filter, exhaust and remap - provide a Rolling road report however, and Ill humbly eat my words - id expect to see 300-320, maybe smile

BTW, its not a 200SX wink tease

am with stu on this ,, thats not 495bhp,, i would say around 340bhp and possible 495lbs will have the 4.4l v8 which is the better motor than the early 4.o,,,

let me no when your cumming down as i will put my std 740i against it,,,,,
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 14th Feb 2008 12:48am
i must dig out the papers, and have a double check and like i say i will get them on here as well and any pics of ur motor bigcos
Posted By: StuyMac Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 14th Feb 2008 1:37pm
Originally Posted by bigcos

am with stu on this ,, thats not 495bhp,, i would say around 340bhp and possible 495lbs will have the 4.4l v8 which is the better motor than the early 4.o,,,

let me no when your cumming down as i will put my std 740i against it,,,,,

Good point Al, it depends which figures you are looking at, and what measurements you are using.

Std they make 286bhp, chip / remap takes them to 304bhp (providing the engine is running as well as it was when new)

Std they make 310ft/lb, which is 420Nm, chipped / remapped takes them to 460Nm.

Me thinks figures have been misread somewhere [Linked Image]
Posted By: bigcos Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 14th Feb 2008 10:30pm
here u go m8..

wot year/reg is your bmw..
Posted By: placidmaster Re: placidmaster : BMW740il - 14th Feb 2008 10:33pm
nice one and same as yours but on its 3rd engine which i think is a 4.4 but do not quote me on that. I have paperwork for all sorts in my own place in Paris and go back in a few weeks, gonna post some of the mods stuff on here
© Wirral-Wikiwirral