Forums
Posted By: mp3_85 Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 12:44pm
How does classic iunsurance work, I heard classic cars dont need tax or something but are the premiums dead low. I cant find anything helpful on the web. Plus is it 15years or older cars?
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 1:08pm
the tax thing stopped years and years ago mate. if your car was made before a set day it dont have to pay road tax its not when your car reaches a certain age anymore.

classic insurance depends on the insurance company like you can have an XR3i on classic insurance aslong as your over 25 with no claim bonus and accident or convictions and the premium is a few hundred. if you insure it main stream your looking at a lot more.
Posted By: GazzA Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 2:28pm
i got a quote yesterday on a RS turbo Escost 1989 and it was £700ish..

thats with me being 21 and with my 3yrs NCB
Posted By: mp3_85 Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 3:59pm
did you ask for classic insurance or not? The reason I asked is that 1992 models of anything (supras, skylines) were being classed as classics on another unnamed website forum laugh

and the peeps had quotes under £1200, true they r a bit older and I know insurance comes down post-25yrs old. but i got the impression the 'classic' status had a big bearing
Posted By: scoop Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 4:33pm
"classic" insurance is looked on differently by differnent companys, the rules of classsic insurance are varying too,but basically,any car considered a classic by a lot of people (ie,S1 RSTs) will be able to be covered under classic insurance,u can only put a few thousand miles a year on them tho if they are classically insured,and tax exempth cars are pre 1970 something cars only. in ten years time itll still be pre 1970 something.an 80's car will not be tac exempt in 10 years
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 8:26pm
spot on scoop, normally the maximum you can do it 5000 miles per year, AND THEY WILL CHECK.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 8:48pm
This will help about the Road Tax exemption of old vehicles :
---------------------------------------------------------------

Exemptions from Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)

The law requires any mechanically propelled vehicle that is used or kept on a road in the UK to pay VED. Schedule 1 to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (as amended) prescribes rates of VED. There are exemptions from paying VED and these are contained in Schedule 2 to the 1994 Act. The main exemptions are:
  • Old Vehicles – vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973 that are not used for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business.
  • Fire Engines/Fire Service Vehicles
  • Ambulances and Health Service Vehicles
  • Mine Rescue and Lifeboat Vehicles
  • Vehicles for Disabled People
  • Limited Use Vehicles - vehicles used for the purposes of agriculture, horticulture or forestry that are only used on public roads in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person. The distance travelled on public roads between two such areas of land must not exceed 1.5 kilometres.
  • Tractors/Agricultural Engines
  • Mowing Machines
  • Steam Powered Vehicles
  • Electrically Propelled Vehicles
  • Snow Ploughs/Gritters
  • Trams*
  • Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles*
  • Pedestrian Controlled Vehicles*

Even though the above vehicles are exempt from paying VED, they are still required, by law, to be licensed and registered on the DVLA vehicle register (except those annotated *). For further advice you should contact your DVLA Local Office.

That should clear that one up.....
Posted By: Scooby Re: Classic Insurance - 11th Feb 2006 8:53pm
Classic Car Insurance

Classic Car Policy Features can Include:
Agreed value (valuations not usually required)

• Free Green Card Cover (up to 90 days a year)
  • Option to retain salvage
  • Windscreen and Window cover
  • Full breakdown and recovery service for the UK and Europe
  • Classic Car Cover:
  • 1500 / 3000 / 5000 / 7500 mileage options
  • Collectors Policies
  • Rally Cover
  • Wedding Hire by Day or Year
  • Track Day Cover

Vehicles over 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years old

Vintage vehicles

Multi vehicles

Insurance on your everyday car

Vehicles owned for 3 years or more
--------------------------------------------------

This is general info about classic car insurance and may vary from insurance company to company......
© Wirral-Wikiwirral