Forums
Posted By: tedmus Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 11th Jul 2015 4:37pm
The engine temperature warning message has started flashing on the display. In between this the gauge shows normal engine temp and the engine isn't running hot.
A bit of googling showed that this can be a common problem with Picassos and it's down to a faulty coolant temp sensor. I've just replaced this and topped up the coolant but the warning is still displaying, any ideas?
The warning doesn't display when the air con is turned off.
Check the connector to the sensor, sometimes the pins need bending a little.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 11th Jul 2015 6:31pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Check the connector to the sensor, sometimes the pins need bending a little.

Will do that, thanks hi
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 11th Jul 2015 8:01pm
I have the same problem with the Berlingo 2.0 HDi (guess same engine as yours).
After a cold start then a few miles running the temp gauge will suddenly zoom up from the normal 75oC to over 90oC and the alarm beeb will sound. Within a second or two the alarm cuts out and the temp drops back to 75oC or so. It will then run steady like that for hours --- until MAYBE the next cold start. Does not happen every time, but more and more frequently.

Snod
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 11th Jul 2015 8:59pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
I have the same problem with the Berlingo 2.0 HDi (guess same engine as yours).
After a cold start then a few miles running the temp gauge will suddenly zoom up from the normal 75oC to over 90oC and the alarm beeb will sound. Within a second or two the alarm cuts out and the temp drops back to 75oC or so. It will then run steady like that for hours --- until MAYBE the next cold start. Does not happen every time, but more and more frequently.

Snod

Mine started a few weeks ago, on starting up it would just display the message (when the message is displayed the temp gauge shoots up at the same time) then it was fine. The other day it just started displaying the message every few seconds with the annoying beep everytime.
Had a quick look earlier and pulled the connector off the sensor which then pulled the sensor out so it mustn't have been seated properly (lost coolant again mad), do I need to separate the connector from the wires to check if the pins need pinching together DD?
I thought from your original post that the temperature wasn't shooting up - that the warning just popped up. Not unheard off for it to be a wire break near the connector as well.

I'm just remembering stuff from the Berlingo forum that I've read in the past - mine isn't a 2.0HDI.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 12th Jul 2015 12:01am
The temp on the gauge shoots up at the same time as the message shows (message beeps, gauge goes to max), in between that the temp gauge reads as normal, i.e. no bars from cold going up to 2 bars max when warmed up.
May be a wire break, I'll check the connector tomorrow, it's going in for MOT soon so if it isn't sorted before then I'll get them to look at it.
That and the wipers that operate when they feel like.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 13th Jul 2015 9:55am
How old is your battery?
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 13th Jul 2015 10:28am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
How old is your battery?

I've no idea to be honest, I've had the car for nearly 12 months and it's the same battery that came with it.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI engine temp warning - 15th Jul 2015 1:04pm
There should be a manufacturing date stamped on it somewhere, or on a sticker.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral