Forums
Posted By: bigwillow 06 corsa engine fan - 14th Apr 2015 7:43pm
when start up engine, fan comes on straight away and stays on the whole time. when the engine is turned off the fan stays on for about 20 30 seconds then goes off.

the car is a 1.2 twinport corsa, model c, 2006

thanks
kev
Posted By: j_demo Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 14th Apr 2015 7:55pm
my astra 07 did that a couple of times, topped up the coolant and it never happened again. so that's my advice, top up coolant, with the lately hotter weather, your car will be doing more to cool down therefore using more coolant.

so top that up, don't just use water, buy actual coolant to do the job properly for a few quid, and run it for a couple of days, if it still happens get back to us.

might as well try the cheaper options first before you pay a mechanic £xx just to even look at it!!
Posted By: turnip Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 15th Apr 2015 5:12am
If that doesn't work try changing the radiator fan switch and the coolant temp sensor
Posted By: Salmon Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 15th Apr 2015 11:44am
I thought it was perfectly normal for a fan to carry on for a short time after the engine was switched off. Is that not the case anymore?
Posted By: turnip Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 15th Apr 2015 2:21pm
It is but it shouldn't start up straight away as soon as the car is started. It should hit a specific temperature that is programmed into the ecu and that activates the fan.
Posted By: Salmon Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 15th Apr 2015 4:46pm
Doh.I missed that bit about it starting straight away, thanks for clarifying.
Posted By: TheEpicSponge Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 17th Apr 2015 8:27am
My Mrs' Tigra (1.4 - Z14XEP) had the exact same issue. Turns out the car had grown bored of having coolant in at all. The coolant return hose had perished and was spurting out all coolant. The car may need to have the fault code cleared on the temperature sensor to tell the ECU that everything is back to normal again.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: 06 corsa engine fan - 17th Apr 2015 9:01am
As Turnip "activates the fan" , via. a relay at mass fuse box in engine bay (check relay) Swap like for like usually more than one in box of same spec.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral