Forums
Posted By: meem12 A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 12:10pm
Hi does anyone know of a mobile engineer that can do diagnostics,the problem is a brand new battery on a Rav 4 M reg car about 12 year old and after two days the battery is completely flat something seems to be draining the battery,its kept in a garage.we have to leave the battery off until we need to use the car.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 1:28pm
I'd start by checking the basics - take out the boot shelf if it has one, to see if there's a courtesy light not going off.

Next I'd try disconnecting the stereo.

Start by pulling a few fuses for "courtesy" items like the above, maybe the cig lighter, alarm and so on.

It doesn't cost anything and may save you some pennies if you can pinpoint the fault.

Have you had a look on the Rav car forums to see if anyone else has had the same problem?
Posted By: meem12 Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 5:14pm
Thank you for the answer,this is my husbands car and unfortunately he is in a nursing home,it needs to go for an mot so i can get it sold, i will get someone to try what you say.thank you for your time.
Posted By: DavidB Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 5:32pm
May be the alternator Meem. Is it dying even when it is left?
I can do a quick test if you get stuck - will soon find out whether it is or not.
Posted By: lansyp Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 10:09pm
Silly one ,check the leads are on properly sounds silly but it can cause the problem
Posted By: meem12 Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 10:37pm
Thank you so much i will tell my daughter tomorrow,will keep you in mind if its ok with you.
Posted By: meem12 Re: A Rav 4 - 12th Mar 2015 10:39pm
Thank you first thing we checked,that is ok,it is something that is draining the battery.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: A Rav 4 - 13th Mar 2015 9:35am
Long shot, but it could be a faulty new battery.
Posted By: meem12 Re: A Rav 4 - 13th Mar 2015 10:48am
Hi Gibbo, Thanks for replying when we bought the battery and it went flat we phoned up to ask could it be a bad batch,they offered to replace the one we had and see about the one we took back.
After a couple of days they phoned to say no the battery recharged had it on a car no problem and sold one to another customer who has had no problems.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: A Rav 4 - 13th Mar 2015 11:37am
I had a motorbike with a similar fault, in my case it turned out to be the alarm which had become faulty even though it worked as it should have. Disconnected the alarm via its fuse and the battery stopped draining.
Posted By: meem12 Re: A Rav 4 - 13th Mar 2015 4:54pm
thank you Geemeister,Will try that
Thank you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral