Forums
Posted By: j_demo new headlights: - 27th Nov 2014 7:31pm
so i'm looking at some new headlight bulbs and was looking for them ones that are bright white, almost blue-ish, in colour because it seems they are just better (and i know at times can be a bit blinding though)

looked on the halfords website and found these which are "ultra brilliance" and "120% brighter" and all that but at £29.99 each (granted they are BOGOF which makes them £15 each) but i figured i'd be able to get just as good elsewhere (online)

can anyone recommend anywhere online to get some of these?

it appears i need 477's for dipped beam, 448's for full beam and 501's for side light.

help guys (& girls)

cheers!
Posted By: x_plore Re: new headlights: - 27th Nov 2014 8:42pm
You could probably get a good HID conversion kit for the price your paying for those bulbs. If your confident enough to fit them yourself then alls good, not sure how much it costs to get a garage to do it though
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 8:35am
Thing is a hid kit will only sort the dipped beam you'd have to buy two kits one for dipped one for main, then you'd have to buy good quality LED sidelights, but I'd guarantee this the best bet as normal blue look bulbs aren't all that great at all and you will hardly notice any difference
Posted By: Frogeye Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 10:06am
Try: autobulbsdirect.co.uk
Posted By: Gibbo Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 1:33pm
Just get some Nightbreakers from Euro Car Parts.
Posted By: mikroc Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 3:47pm
I've had them bulbs from halfords an yes the do make a big difference Worth getting
Posted By: StuyMac Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 4:21pm
Unless you have projector lenses, HIDs are a no-no, you get a poor beam pattern and dazzle other road users. You also need additional things to go with them for an MOT (Self leveling system and headlight washer jets)

Ive tried a few different Halogen bulbs over the years, even the blue coloured 100W bulbs, and the best Ive found are the Osram Nightbreakers! I have them fitted to my Eunos, and with a reputation of poor headlights, these are like the HIDs on my BMW in terms of brightness, and you still get a good beam pattern from the reflector lense.

You can buy them from Eurocarparts, but they can be had on eBay even cheaper.

There are a few variations, the Nightbreaker Plus are about the best VFM, but they also do a "Gold" Edition, but Ive not tried them to see if the extra £££ is worth it.

Nightbreaker Plus everytime!
Posted By: Habdab Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 7:36pm
Make sure your wiring is up to it, if the bulbs draw too much current, and your car's wiring wasn't made for them, then the wiring can overheat and catch fire.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 8:48pm
wow, very bad
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mikroc Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 10:04pm
Habdab is right I've had wiring catch fire
Posted By: StuyMac Re: new headlights: - 28th Nov 2014 11:20pm
The nightbreakers are the same as OEM. The brightness comes from higher quality components to give more light, not by drawing more power wink
Posted By: Gibbo Re: new headlights: - 1st Dec 2014 11:07am
I've seen some of those cheap 100w bulbs you get from Ebay melt some cars headlight mounts and the electrical plugs / sockets
© Wirral-Wikiwirral