Forums
Posted By: Mark Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 9:42am
Smoking to be banned in family cars from October 2015

Smoking is to be banned in cars carrying children next month – and offenders will be punished with a £60 fine or five points on their driving licence.

If the case goes to court, anyone smoking in a car carrying a child could be fined up to £80.

Drivers who fail to take ‘reasonable steps’ to prevent others smoking in cars with children face even bigger fines – up to £10,000.

MORE: Smoking in cars is nothing short of child abuse

The law will apply to any cars carrying children, and the legislation is expected to be passed in December.

The ban will come into force from October next year.

Tory and Lib Dem MPs backed the measure in February, and Prime Minister David Cameron said, ‘the time has come’ for a ban.

The change to the law will be made under provisions in the Children and Families Act.

Source : Click Me
Posted By: Mark Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 9:43am
As long as they dont stop me having a kitkat at the wheel.
Its the natural progression of Stop Smoking.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 10:11am
Originally Posted by Mark
As long as they dont stop me having a kitkat at the wheel.
Its the natural progression of Stop Smoking.

already is ---- driving with undue care and attention--covers eating kit kat whilst driving.

Nanny state looking to raise money again
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 11:15am
What about nose picking? So long as I don't eat it?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 5:18pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
What about nose picking? So long as I don't eat it?

that's probably ok as it can be done one handed--unwrapping a kit kat not so easy with one hand

other one handed actions whilst driving are covered by other laws!
Posted By: Mark Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 5:44pm
Do you remember the storey where the traffic cop charged a woman for eating an apple at the wheel while driving through town, only to be photographed eating a twix at the wheel 3 months later.

I wonder if this is just away to bring money in ?

I see business vehicles and drivers still smoking all the time. Ive heard taxi drivers are constantly fined for smoking at the road side.

Anyone been fined for smoking at a hospital yet ?

There is that much knowledge out there about smoking shouldn't this be left for parents to decide and not the police. I dont see much difference from a parent smoking in the home to smoking in the car, yes more concentrated but why the police are they not stretched enough ?

Nanny state again.

What defines family car ?
Can you smoke in a friends car with his / her kids lol ??

You do wonder.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 5:56pm
What defines family car ?
Can you smoke in a friends car with his / her kids lol ??

You do wonder.

The law will apply to any cars carrying children
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 7:03pm

Anyone been fined for smoking at a hospital yet ?

You do wonder.
Had a puff or two at APH today- no fine. grin
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 10:23pm
No children will be allowed in my car from now on then.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 11th Nov 2014 10:40pm
£60 fine or points is ridiculous they should just jail them. Why would anyone smoke when kids are in the car
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 12th Nov 2014 12:03am
Just ban kids and we will all be fine
Posted By: danjaylai Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 12th Nov 2014 8:45am
Technically anything that involves taking your hands off the steering wheel whilst driving is a fineable/endorsable driving offence with the exception of changing gear and applying/releasing the handbrake.

This includes :

Eating
Drinking
Changing the radio station / CD
Opening / closing the window
Smoking
Using the phone /Sat nav
Waving / Gesturing to someone

Wonder if this smoking ban will include my E-cig / vapouriser?

Posted By: DavidB Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 12th Nov 2014 9:17am
How about smoking with head out of window, so all the smoke goes out?
What about on convertibles, where the smoke will rise out of the car, and won't kill them instantly?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 12th Nov 2014 9:03pm
can children smoke in cars though?
Posted By: stanb Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 12th Nov 2014 9:25pm
If you rub two together quick enough,yes.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 13th Nov 2014 12:04am
Anyone who smokes in a car with kids or other non smokers are selfish and complete idiots IMO. Can you not wait that long to have a fag?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 13th Nov 2014 12:20am
Originally Posted by stanb
If you rub two together quick enough,yes.

laffin
Posted By: stanb Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 13th Nov 2014 7:36am
If you rub two together thickly enough yes
Posted By: DavidB Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 13th Nov 2014 4:34pm
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
Anyone who smokes in a car with kids or other non smokers are selfish and complete idiots IMO. Can you not wait that long to have a fag?

It can't do them no harm? Who keeps the window closed when having a ciggie anyway?
Posted By: Mark Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 17th Dec 2014 7:57pm
[Linked Image]

Updated : Click me

Smoking in cars with children will be banned in England, under new laws put forward by the government.

The regulations laid before Parliament propose banning smoking in cars containing under 18s.

A fine of £50 will be issued to people who smoke or who fail to prevent another person smoking.

MPs will vote on the plans before the election - and if they are passed the change in law will come into force on 1 October.

The move comes after a free vote in Parliament in February gave ministers the power to introduce the law, although it did not compel them to.

Public health minister Jane Ellison said: "Second-hand smoke is a real threat to children's health and we want them to grow up free from the risks of smoking.

"The only effective way to protect children is to prevent them breathing second-hand smoke and our plans to stop smoking in cars carrying children will help us to do this."

A fine of £50 will be issued to people who smoke or who fail to prevent another person smoking.

Hello and why should I tell the other person not to smoke ?
How is that enforceable then ?
Posted By: nuddy Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 17th Dec 2014 10:23pm
Does anyone know if the law applies to convertibles?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 18th Dec 2014 9:21am
can't smoke with under 18's in the car, but i know some people under 18 who smoke and/or don't mind smokers

i'm a non-smoker, and honestly i find this 'law' ridiculous. How on earth it's going to be policed is a mystery and as Nuddy says, do convertibles count? what if all the windows are open?

they've done enough to stop people smoking by hiking the prices, kicking them out of pubs, giving enough health warnings, if people still want to go ahead and do it, let them...
Posted By: Dilly Re: Smoking to be banned in family cars - 18th Dec 2014 10:57am
I think what we are talking here is the right for children not to be subjected to the effects of secondhand smoke. As a smoker myself I won't smoke in a car with a non smoking adult let alone a child, it is just common decency and manners.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral