Forums
Posted By: tedmus Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 9:35am
Hi all

I have a 2000 2.0 HDI Picasso, the CD player will play perfectly without the engine running but if you put in a CD with it running the player just freezes for a minute then will just spit the CD out. I've tried playing a CD first before starting the engine but the playback just stops, player freezes and spits the disc out. The radio is fine.
I read on a Picasso forum that the problem could be with the laser/lens and this not reading the disc due to the diesel engine vibrating, could this be the case?
If so can it be replaced?

Thanks in advance smile
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 9:59am
Its a common problem on cars around the ten year mark or over. Many of us just fit an aftermarket CD radio. Although saying that, single slot load CD radios are usually more reliable than the 5 CD changer models.

You will probably be able to pick up a cheap second hand model (it might need coding to the car, but I can do this) but you run the risk of buying something old that could also fail.

I'd probably recommend taking it out and giving it a service - clean out all the dust, clean the lens with a swap and suitable cleaning fluid. My brother has just done that on our dad's 2003 Picasso.

Vibration should only be an issue if there's something wrong with the engine or the mounts and its bouncing around in the engine bay!
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 12:20pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Its a common problem on cars around the ten year mark or over. Many of us just fit an aftermarket CD radio. Although saying that, single slot load CD radios are usually more reliable than the 5 CD changer models.

You will probably be able to pick up a cheap second hand model (it might need coding to the car, but I can do this) but you run the risk of buying something old that could also fail.

I'd probably recommend taking it out and giving it a service - clean out all the dust, clean the lens with a swap and suitable cleaning fluid. My brother has just done that on our dad's 2003 Picasso.

Vibration should only be an issue if there's something wrong with the engine or the mounts and its bouncing around in the engine bay!

I could go aftermarket but I'd like to keep the display and use of the steering wheel buttons if I can.

Have seen some second hand on ebay but like you say could have the same problem.

I've had the unit out before but only to clean the lens, I'll try and give it a good clean out.

Cheers
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 1:10pm
Yeah, that's the problem with aftermarkets. My 307 has lost the radio info on the centre display, but its a lot smaller and less significant than on a Picasso dash. But I don't mind because the replacement stereo is far superior in every respect - better sound quality, MP3 disc capability, USB port, Bluetooth hands free and so on.

You won't have to lose the steering column controls though - just search ebay for a CONNECTS2 cable, they're about £20.

There is a device that will relay the radio info to the main car screen but I don't know the price of that.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 2:08pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Yeah, that's the problem with aftermarkets. My 307 has lost the radio info on the centre display, but its a lot smaller and less significant than on a Picasso dash. But I don't mind because the replacement stereo is far superior in every respect - better sound quality, MP3 disc capability, USB port, Bluetooth hands free and so on.

You won't have to lose the steering column controls though - just search ebay for a CONNECTS2 cable, they're about £20.

There is a device that will relay the radio info to the main car screen but I don't know the price of that.

I had a Bluetooth Sony head unit for a few years which I switched between cars when I changed them but let it go when I sold the last one. If cleaning doesn't work for this then I guess I'll have to go aftermarket. Is it just the radio info you lose from that half of the display in a Picasso or would you lose the trip computer display as well?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Xsara Picasso CD player fault - 9th Oct 2014 2:19pm
On the Peugeot its just radio information. I still get the time, date, trip computer and so on.

If you decide to stick with an original, a Peugeot one will also fit and work so you're not limited to just Citroen ones in your search.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral