Forums
Posted By: LittleFoote Rust - 7th Oct 2014 12:58pm
Hi All,

My 02 plate KA has a few spots of rust. I have been told the whole panel need respraying which is costly.

Does anyone know anyone who can just sort out a few patches of rust?

Thanks
Posted By: lansyp Re: Rust - 7th Oct 2014 1:19pm
Try halfords at bidston moss there is usaually a van doing chip repairs in the car park
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rust - 7th Oct 2014 1:27pm
In my experience, spot treatment doesn't work; the rust will come back. The only way is to strip back to bare metal and go from there. It's easier to do the whole panel and get a proper job.
Posted By: LittleFoote Re: Rust - 7th Oct 2014 2:50pm
Thanks for the replies. I can't afford to have my car resprayed and for the age of it it seems a wasted effort. I was going to try myself but don't have a garage.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Rust - 7th Oct 2014 4:49pm
if you want to do it properly then yeh a proper job would do it but as you say it's costly.

if you just want to patch it, then you can get kits from halfords.

either the

chip repair kit for small areas

or

Spray paint if it's a bigger area. just make sure to use primer before and laquer afterwards.
Posted By: LittleFoote Re: Rust - 7th Oct 2014 5:47pm
I can't do it myself as I don't have a garage. Last time I tried on another car I ended up with dust blowing on the wet paint! Nightmare!
Posted By: peodude Re: Rust - 9th Oct 2014 6:10pm
To be honest, the KA is not worth fixing of it has rust, they are terrible for rusting, spend money on one bit and it will appear somewhere else. Save the money you would have spent and when you do replace it in the future you have some extra money.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Rust - 10th Oct 2014 8:53am
I've done it loads of times in the open. There are loads of tutorials on youtube, it really isn't that hard if you spend time on it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral