Code reader to borrow or if some could turn a engine light off
Posted By: Finney Re: Code reader - 14th Jul 2014 10:24am
Send Turnip a pm, think he has a reader
Posted By: madrob Re: Code reader - 14th Jul 2014 10:38am
Just sent him a pm thanks
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Code reader - 14th Jul 2014 3:00pm
Or pm robbo,he has a nice new one wink
Posted By: turnip Re: Code reader - 18th Jul 2014 8:07pm
Hi Rob, turnips dad here. sorry I have lost your mobile number. I can take a look tomorrow if you can pm to my sons inbox and I will call you.

steve.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Code reader - 19th Jul 2014 8:31am
I bought a bluetooth dongle for £5 (ELM 327 mini) which plugs into the OBD port. It will link to a bluetooth enabled laptop or an android tablet in my case, or even a smartphone.

A free app called 'Torque' allows you to interrogate fault codes, reset them (if the EMU allows this) check things like coolant temperature and power output etc. etc in real time or plot them on a graph. It also, if your phone/tablet has gps, allows you to plot the course of a journey on a map with the colour of the trace indicating the coolant temperature or the position of your foot on the gas and lots of other things.

It is a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible than a scanner if you have a smartphone. See it in use on you tube here for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSsUPrGLHs Torque pro costs a couple of pounds more than free torque but its well worth it.

I really wouldn't mess about with a dedicated scanner.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Code reader - 24th Jul 2014 3:03pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I bought a bluetooth dongle for £5 (ELM 327 mini) which plugs into the OBD port. It will link to a bluetooth enabled laptop or an android tablet in my case, or even a smartphone.

A free app called 'Torque' allows you to interrogate fault codes, reset them (if the EMU allows this) check things like coolant temperature and power output etc. etc in real time or plot them on a graph. It also, if your phone/tablet has gps, allows you to plot the course of a journey on a map with the colour of the trace indicating the coolant temperature or the position of your foot on the gas and lots of other things.

It is a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible than a scanner if you have a smartphone. See it in use on you tube here for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSsUPrGLHs Torque pro costs a couple of pounds more than free torque but its well worth it.

I really wouldn't mess about with a dedicated scanner.

Thanks for the tip; I just set this up on my car. I'm impressed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral