Forums
Posted By: j_demo 'Brake' calls for complete ban on phone use. - 22nd Apr 2014 7:59am
source

The charity Brake has called for a complete ban on all phone use in cars INCLUDING bluetooth devices saying that they are as much of a distraction. Personally I disagree because I have an 'io Play 2' in my car and it's so easy to use and is all wired in to the speakers etc professionally so the call quality is crisp, it's almost like talking to someone else in the passenger or back seats. And because of this, do Brake want a complete ban on all communication in cars??? As talking to a passenger or even singing along to the radio is akin to talking on a bluetooth headset.

I disagree with what they want, yes I concur holding a phone to your ear IS dangerous and is rightly illegal, a bluetooth car kit like I have is perfectly safe and should continue to be legal. The bluetooth headsets I can't comment on as I've never used one.

What does everyone else think???
Posted By: Helles Re: 'Brake' calls for complete ban on phone use. - 22nd Apr 2014 10:07am
I drive professionally and would never use a phone however it is wired. No call is that important. Pull over if necessary. True I am an old arse and remember the dark days before most people had a phone, never mind a mobile one but somehow we managed!
Posted By: ASE71 Re: 'Brake' calls for complete ban on phone use. - 24th Apr 2014 8:07pm
Originally Posted by Helles
I drive professionally and would never use a phone however it is wired. No call is that important. Pull over if necessary. True I am an old arse and remember the dark days before most people had a phone, never mind a mobile one but somehow we managed!

That's a load of rubbish!

Talking on the phone whilst driving, using a bluetooth connection to the car, is no dangerous than talking to a back seat passenger. And less dangerous than fiddling with the radio etc.

Credit some people with the ability to drive safely and talk at the same time.

This ban will never happen. next they will ban you from laughing whilst driving which is more of a distraction than talking.

Posted By: j_demo Re: 'Brake' calls for complete ban on phone use. - 25th Apr 2014 2:21pm
Originally Posted by ASE71
Originally Posted by Helles

That's a load of rubbish!

Talking on the phone whilst driving, using a bluetooth connection to the car, is no dangerous than talking to a back seat passenger. And less dangerous than fiddling with the radio etc.

Credit some people with the ability to drive safely and talk at the same time.

This ban will never happen. next they will ban you from laughing whilst driving which is more of a distraction than talking.

amen!

it seems the road safety boffins think that nobody can do more than one thing at once anyway. bearing in mind driving is all about multi-tasking checking mirrors all the time, indicating, clutch/gear changes and all that. any ban on a handsfree kit is ridiculous and as i say, unenforceable.

as for Helles talking about driving professionally, from my experience of the road, 'professional' drivers are actually the worst around with zero care for anyone else on the roads.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral