Forums
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Bosch S5 Battery - 8th Apr 2014 11:42am
I'm having problems with my battery, not offering enough power to start car, yes it's turning over for about 30 seconds but then dies. This shouldn't happen right?

I was wondering if these can be refilled like you used to with distilled water.

Failing that, does anybody have a battery lying around I could borrow till I get a new one at the weekend. Much appreciated!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 8th Apr 2014 2:07pm
Your car shouldn't take 30 seconds of turning over to start.

There was an old rule that it took six minutes of driving to replace every second the car turned over.

I think you're being too harsh on the battery, particularly as you've got this thread going:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/869050/Vauxhall_Zafira_2007.html

How old is your battery? They only have a usable lifespan of around five years. Measuring the voltage after being stood overnight is well worth doing.

Batteries are funny things and can do funny things to a car's electrical system. My brother did a diagnostic on a car a couple of weeks ago, the electrics were going haywire, but the car seemed to start OK. The battery was 9 years old (was on it since new) and showing 8V when stood! The owner thought that just because it started the car it was fine!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 8th Apr 2014 2:12pm
It is feasible that a weak battery is not delivering enough power to the fuel pump.
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 8th Apr 2014 3:36pm
Gibbo, ive just took it for a battery test, and results are battery is absolutely fine. They advised I disconnect over night and see if I have trouble starting up in morning as something could be draining it.

I do have a tracker connected to the battery, not sure if this could have an effect on the power drain?
What ye think?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 9th Apr 2014 1:03pm
Very possibly, what exactly does it do, is it one of those lower insurance jobbies? If its properly set up it shouldn't be causing an overnight power drain.

I'd still suggest a diagnostic check to see if there are any other problems with your car. It shouldn't take more than a second to turn over and start.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 9th Apr 2014 2:39pm
If a battery will turn over the engine for 30 sec. there can't be much wrong with it. The problem must be elsewhere.
Gibbo's suggestion of a diagnostic check seems a good idea.
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 9th Apr 2014 9:40pm
I've recently borrowed a battery boost pack, when I start with that theres no problem at all, although the battery test came back perfect!

There is a slight knocking noise when I start it like something is slipping, someone suggested it could actually be my starter motor?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bosch S5 Battery - 10th Apr 2014 10:47am
If its been taking 30 seconds of turning over to start for some time, and turned over with a low battery then there's a chance the motor has had some unnecessary wear.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral