Am going to buy this classic it was a choice between
This or This How hard would it be to sort out the rust on the capri

Attached picture capri1.JPG
Attached picture capri2.JPG
Attached picture capri3.JPG
Attached picture capri4.JPG
Attached picture capri5.JPG
Posted By: Dilly Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 7:35am
The only way you can do anything with it would be to remove the screens and cut the metal back to good, then make new repair panels and weld them in. To just grind out the rust and fill would mean it would be back within 6 months.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 7:59am
I had a feeling that may be the way, am having second thoughts now, if it's going to turn into a money pit, it would be a good project tho,
Posted By: Dilly Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 8:51am
It looks to be more of a project than a quick fix.
Posted By: PaulH Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 1:35pm
If it's that bad on the surface, the "a"pillar will be shot. A lot of work lies ahead.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 2:54pm
All old fords are money pits my fiesta cost me a fortune getting rid of the rust just take someone with you to see it who knows where to look as there is normally hidden rust
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 6:47pm
If you want a nice Classic - buy mine. no rust
Will cost you though
'72 40K miles

Snod

Attached picture DSCF1479s.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fixing this rust - 26th Mar 2014 7:41pm
She looks brilliant Snod. You told me something of the amount of work you had put into the restoration when we met at a certain watering hole a while back. I'd no idea of the great result! Well done that man !

Hydrolastic suspension ??? Sorry offtopic
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Fixing this rust - 27th Mar 2014 9:29am
It is good Pinz - but it HAS to go. I have 3 other cars and a motorbike and, frankly, I just do not have the incentive to do the bits of work needed to keep this Classic in proper trim.

You and I both know that if a machine is not "used" bits of it start to deteriorate and then fail eg clutch and brakes get stiff and pump diaphragms harden. In the last year I have done maybe 200 miles in this car. Maybe once a month I take it out of the garage, warm up the engine then do a run from the Village to New Brighton then charge the battery while it is outside my house for the rest of the day. That is just enough but there is no point if I am never going to use/ show the car. Far better it goes to an enthusiast who will do that. It also costs me £40 a month just to garage it!

I have put an advert on the Classic Cars site and there are a couple of inquires

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral