Forums
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Diesel exhaust back box on a petrol car. - 25th Nov 2013 11:25am
Hi,
I have a Saab 9-3 with a 2.0 petrol engine, I have been looking round for a replacement back box which has twin tailpipes which exit the box through a cutout in the bumper ( the existing backbox has twin exit pipes which bend down to the road).
I have come across one which is a Saab original part but it is designed for the diesel engine, the physical size and fixings are identical so it will be a direct fit but I wonder what (if anything) would be the problems encountered in using a diesel backbox on a petrol engine? I wasn't aware that there was likely to be any difference between the two.

Thanks
Posted By: Dodgy_Bob Re: Diesel exhaust back box on a petrol car. - 25th Nov 2013 11:39pm
As far as I'm aware (my experience is td & hdi) diesel exhausts have the baffles arranged to allow the gases to exit the exhaust easier as diesels need to breath easier than petrols, whereas the exhaust on petrol engines need to provide a small amount of back pressure to allow the engine run nicely, although it may fit you may find that the reduction in back pressure may cause running issues on a petrol.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Diesel exhaust back box on a petrol car. - 26th Nov 2013 9:14am
It may be a little louder than the std exhaust, but it wont cause you any problems smile
Thanks for both replies.

I posted this on another forum as well, the concensus seems to be that it is unlikely to have any ill effects so thanks for confirming.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Diesel exhaust back box on a petrol car. - 26th Nov 2013 3:00pm
On HonestJohn? I noticed that and was going to copy and past the answers here!
Originally Posted by Gibbo
On HonestJohn? I noticed that and was going to copy and past the answers here!

Yes, that was me
© Wirral-Wikiwirral