Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Diesel Service - 17th Oct 2013 9:08pm
I got a job servicing a Citroen C8 on Sunday.
I have never worked on a diesel before, what things need doing on a diesel to service it.
Posted By: turnip Re: Diesel Service - 17th Oct 2013 9:13pm
All the usual. Just remember that diesel oil is horrible stuff and avoid getting it on you at all costs smile
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Diesel Service - 17th Oct 2013 11:38pm
Why not look up what Citroen recommend and simply follow that?
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 12:35am
That would be because I wanted to ask on here. I do apologize for asking a question.
Yes I know its in wrong section.
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 4:09am
Best left to an expert or at least someone with half a clue
Posted By: baconbutty Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 8:25am
I hope you are not gonna charge a fee
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 9:45am
Originally Posted by s7uajones
Just the same as air conditioning repairs should be left to some one with half a clue, unlike someone who could not find a leak after 3 attempts. That would not be you would it????
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 11:05am
"Best left to an expert or at least someone with half a clue"

My feeling too, although I wouldn't have put it so bluntly. If you are asking here it is likely you will do more harm than good.

Citroen servicing information is your best bet.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 12:47pm
Oh dear, bitchfest in just half a dozen posts. Anyone who can do a basic service on a petrol car can do the same on a diesel.

The only difference is that oil and fuel filter is changed more frequently, and you need to be careful not to get too much air into the system when changing the fuel filter.

Citroen and Peugeot share a common ground. Personally I do the following:

Air filter

Oil filter and oil & sump plug

fuel filter

Inspection & hoover of pollen filter and its recess

Check glow plugs, again replace if not been done for over three years, and especially if its on a diesel with a particulate filter.

Check battery terminals and all earth points and copper grease them. Google BSI reset for instructions on the correct way to remove and refit a battery.

Posted By: Willo_ Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 12:52pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Oh dear, bitchfest in just half a dozen posts. Anyone who can do a basic service on a petrol car can do the same on a diesel.

The only difference is that oil and fuel filter is changed more frequently, and you need to be careful not to get too much air into the system when changing the fuel filter.

Citroen and Peugeot share a common ground. Personally I do the following:

Air filter

Oil filter and oil & sump plug

fuel filter

Inspection & hoover of pollen filter and its recess

Check glow plugs, again replace if not been done for over three years, and especially if its on a diesel with a particulate filter.

Check battery terminals and all earth points and copper grease them. Google BSI reset for instructions on the correct way to remove and refit a battery.

Thank you.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 3:56pm
Experts have to start somewhere
was you born a expert?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Diesel Service - 18th Oct 2013 7:21pm
Originally Posted by kimpri
Experts have to start somewhere
was you born a expert?

They usually start under the careful eye of someone already skilled----think it was called apprenticeship at one time. Half the battle these days is having the right tools--some cars need special tools just to get at spark plugs/glow plugs
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Diesel Service - 19th Oct 2013 7:46am
I think modern cars generally have an on-board computer that can tell you if a glow plug has failed - and a lot of other things you may need to look at too - by plugging a lap-top into it.

As I say Citroen will have this information, probably in the form of software. Whether they will allow an amateur mechanic access to it however is another matter.

Changing the oil and filters (provided you use the right grade of oil) will do no harm, but probably won't constitute a full service. Modern engines are not designed for people to service them themselves. They want you to be locked into an approved garage. You can argue this is unfair, but at least it ensures that the car is maintained according to the design requirements.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Diesel Service - 19th Oct 2013 7:54am
Keep your engine bays spotless people, there is no excuse for a dirty engine bay, you could eat your dinner off every one of my cars engine bays smile
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Diesel Service - 19th Oct 2013 8:36am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Keep your engine bays spotless people, there is no excuse for a dirty engine bay, you could eat your dinner off every one of my cars engine bays smile
Same here Ste, I keep my cars spotless.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Diesel Service - 19th Oct 2013 8:38am
Originally Posted by Excoriator
They want you to be locked into an approved garage. You can argue this is unfair, but at least it ensures that the car is maintained according to the design requirements.
You can use most garages, and you no longer even have to use genuine parts.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Diesel Service - 19th Oct 2013 9:15am

Ste it is easy for you to keep your engine bays clean ! as most of your cars don't run
:-)
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Diesel Service - 20th Oct 2013 5:37pm
Did you do it willo and did you need the 8mm square for the sump plug
Just curious
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Diesel Service - 20th Oct 2013 8:32pm
Originally Posted by Dilly

Ste it is easy for you to keep your engine bays clean ! as most of your cars don't run
:-)

Bit hard to drive them all at the same time mate laugh
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Diesel Service - 23rd Oct 2013 9:54pm

There are many reasons not to bother cleaning it. One is because it is unnecessary. Another is that you can do more harm than good by steam cleaning it, but the clincher for me is that I never intend to eat my dinner off it.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Diesel Service - 28th Oct 2013 2:43pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I think modern cars generally have an on-board computer that can tell you if a glow plug has failed - and a lot of other things you may need to look at too - by plugging a lap-top into it.

As I say Citroen will have this information, probably in the form of software. Whether they will allow an amateur mechanic access to it however is another matter.

Yes, there's a piece of kit called LEXIA / Diagbox which you connect up to your car via a laptop and it does a full diagnostic. I have the kit as it does Peugeot as well as Citroen, but I generally just stick to Pugs as that's what I drive and know inside out.

But you only really need that for advanced fault finding. You can buy the kit off Ebay for around £80 but its useless if you don't know how to use it, and you can bugger up your car very easily if you start messing with some settings.

As for technical information, there is something called Citroen Servicebox which gives you access to diagrams, part numbers and prices. Its the same system that the dealers use but dealers get full access to workshop procedures.

http://service.citroen.com/

Here's an example of one of the drawings:

[Linked Image]

For the OP's requirements a Haynes manual should be sufficient to do a good service.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral