Forums
Posted By: Madge keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 9:59am
Im a bit scared to venture into the auto part of the group but here goes, having got a nice shiny new car, i would like to keep it nice and have noticed adverts in the dealerships for a sort of polish that you can have that keeps it nice, but i never read it properly, is there a good treatment i can get that will protect my car as we live in a street with lots of trees that are dropping lots of bits onto it and i dont want to take it through the car wash every day lol,
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 10:13am
Very important you remove any bird droppings from your car right away as it contains an acid which will destroy yor paintwork if left on.

Tree sap is also a problem as it is very hard to get off the vehicle.
Posted By: Stingray Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 10:33am
'Showroom Shine' that they sell on the Ideal World shopping channel is amazing stuff!
Posted By: Madge Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 11:02am
Thanks ste which is why i want something to help protect if i can, stingray i will take a look at that thanks
Posted By: chriskay Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 11:12am
And keep away from auto car washes with their gritty brushes.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 11:17am
Originally Posted by chriskay
And keep away from auto car washes with their gritty brushes.
Quite right Chris, they scratch your car badly and give the paintwork a dull appearence.

Trust nobody but yourself to wash your car.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 11:55am
Ive always cleaned and waxed my own cars, so never had any interest in the "paint sealer" from dealers.

However, from what I have read its all a bit of a con! Sure, you take the treatment and you get a paintwork warranty - but in all honesty, it should cope fine with the conditions we have here.

If you park under trees, then sap will get on the car and on the paint. Wash it frequently - once a week, and polish it yourself - if you cant get time to do the whole car, focus on polishing the flat surfaces like the roof, boot and bonnet where sap is most likely to stick.

There are loads of good products out there (£10-£15) that will keep the paint in perfect order without costing the earth, and certainly wont cost the dealers "seal" price. smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 12:02pm
Murre wax, ask halford for it, its about £18
used on boats etc.
Posted By: Finney Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 12:33pm
I use greased lightening showroom shine on my car. I have also used the hand car wash behind the kfc in rock ferry (£5).
Posted By: rover644 Re: keeping the new car clean - 7th Oct 2013 1:14pm
Keep it clean, keep it waxed.
Posted By: Madge Re: keeping the new car clean - 8th Oct 2013 7:04am
Thanks for all your advice
© Wirral-Wikiwirral