Forums
Posted By: Showgirl1000 HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 1st Oct 2013 9:10pm
Hi i'm new to all the site and recently moved back to Wallasey. Does anyone know of a decent garage that does headlight upgrades to xenon or LED? preferably Wallasey but anywhere Wirral would be great. Thanks in advance. wink
Posted By: federer Re: HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 6th Oct 2013 7:46am
try E AND R SERVICES IN SEACOME GREAT GUY
Posted By: chriskay Re: HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 6th Oct 2013 12:22pm
Just be aware that the MOT has been tightened with regard to non standard lights.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 6th Oct 2013 2:10pm
On the last MOT for the Pinz I had replaced the sidelight bulbs (within headlamp units) from standard tungsten (24volt) to LED's because they are cheaper then the 24v bulbs and last a lot longer. Told by Mr Tester that they no longer complied blah blah blah... Just said "change 'em before next year". Didn't issue an advisory. Put tungsten ones back in! A bit of an arseburger.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 7th Oct 2013 11:46am
LED sidelights should be ok as long as they are white, and not blue.

As for Xenons, if the car is not fitted with them from the factory, whilst fitting is pretty easy, an MOT wont be.

Fitting them to non projector lenses gives a lot of "bleed" and you dont get a good beam pattern, with Xenons, you also need a self leveling system, and headlight washers, both are tricky to retro fit.

Beam pattern (has always been part of the MOT, as has the headlight aim) but if you have xenons, the tester should check the usual headlight height adjuster - tumbler type switch is not present as there is a self adjuster, and they should also check the operation of the headlight washer system.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: HEADLIGHT UPGRADES - 7th Oct 2013 12:09pm
You can get away with aftermarket xenons if you do it properly. I have had them for a couple of years in mine. I used 4300k lamps so they look like factory fitted ones. Specal ballasts so no canbus wiring errors. My headlamps units are projector ones so there is no overspill of light, the beam patten is exactly the same as the old lamps and the cut off at the top is sharp. I just have to spend 20 mins putting the old lamps back in the day before the mot every year. I also make sure I use the height adjust wheel if I have a heavy load in the back which is what you should do anyway. Ive never been flashed/pulled or blinded anyone.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral