Forums
A kind person gave me a "J" size black cylinder of what he thought was CO2 for my mig welder.
I bought an adaptor and connected it up.
All yesterday afternoon I tried to weld but the more gas I put on the more [censored] I made, and no sign of the welding wire. Also it made an extrtemely hot flame which would burn holes in seconds.
All this leads me to believe that the gas is oxygen!
Anyone want it? its a very large cylinder about 5ft tall, and heavy. My level guage says it is full.
Before anyone wonders: the cansored word is the correct technical name for the black burnt residue that occurs during the meltin of metal when air is not excluded or when impurities are burnt. It also happens to be a slang name for a loose woman.
What is the world coming to??
Posted By: sean Re: Could anyone use some free Oxygen (for welding) - 14th Sep 2013 6:37pm
I'm not a welder but I thought you used argon with a mig welder?
argon is for tig, you can use argoshield for mig, this is co2 with a bit of argon thrown in.
sorry martin i was told by two supposedly in the know people that it was c02,i do apolagise mate and hope you get some body to take it
Kind person. Thanks for your reponse, I did really mean "kind". It would have been great had it worked but you gave no firm promises as to the identity of the gas. Thanks again.
ANYONE IN ANY DOUBT AS THE IDENTITY OF THIS GAS IS WELCOME TO COME AND TEST IT FIRST. Just bring your torch and acetylene!
The reason I am darn sure it is oxygen is because medical oxygen was put in black cylinders when I worked in the NHS, as well as its behaviour with my MIG!
All industrial gas bottles should be colour coded. See http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/sheq/...colours/industrial-cylinder-colours.html for more info.
I have looked at these colour codes previously but they are the modern colours. All my CO2 cylinders are black. The Cylinders on the oxygen bank at work were black too. So that leads us no further.If the cylinder I have is nitrogen, which seems to be correct for the modern colours then it would be inert and wouldn't have caused my welding wire to burn to [censored] as soon as it left the tip, only oxygen would do this (of the range of likely gases that might be in the cylinder) Censor please don't censor proper engineering terms, it demonstrates some degree of ignorance!)
Thanks anyway for the information
© Wirral-Wikiwirral